1984 Mainship 34 Fuel gauge sending unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KenM

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Satori
Vessel Make
1984 34 Mainship
Troubleshooting my fuel gauge lack of working.. i.e going to have to trace it down. After a cursory look see, I can't seem to locate the sending units on the tanks... anyone know where they are?

On my '78 they are on top all the way forward, follow the wires, there's nothing else electrical in that area

They are on the top. Access will require floor removal or cutting an access hole. I had the hole closed with a pie plate port. They should be right next to the fuel pickup. If you remove the floor then pull tanks and add three cleanout ports and clean out 30+ years of gunk.

Found them around half way down each tank. Of course, ya gots ta twist yourself into a pretzel to get a good look at them. I'm getting accurate readings from the port tank and none from the starboard. Will have to trace down the wires, test the connections and clean them, I'm sure they have not been touched in 30 years.

Ken, I don't know if you've found your problem but just take a piece of wire & short the sending unit to a ground. The gauge should read full. If it does, then your sender is bad. If not, your wiring is the issue. It may be as simple as the wire has come loose from the tank selector switch. That happened to me when I was tinkering with the wiring behind the helm.

Thanks for all the replies. Might as well get this done right so this is the plan..
Will eventually need access to the sender units so going to drill out a 4" access port for each unit... Since it's under carpet will re-cover the access ports with these under the carpet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H5VKS6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AZHZ102UTKBMA

Will be wiring the gauge at the helm and the gauge at flybridge in parallel with MOMENTARY DPDT so I can use the wires to the sender from the helm... i.e.. wire from the flybridge to the helm switch then from the helm switch to the senders.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LFVFA8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The momentary switches will insure that both are not being used at the same time, which will give false readings. The double pole will allow starboard or port tank to be accessed individually.

This is not going to happen immediately, but will when "I get around to it"...

Back
Top Bottom