Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a double treat, English band Incognito, with lead singer Maysa. Maysa has done plenty on own, but coupled with Incognito, she shines. Chaka Khan has sung with Incognito, there`s praise.
So much to choose, tough picking one, I went with Nights over Egypt.

Here is something a little different but nice:

Hawgwash, Aaron Neville has the most unique timbre to his voice. He is a great singer. The question is why did this have to come from BC. Steve is right there in the backyard of New Orleans. Go figure. At any rate a great contribution.

Steve, a very nice tune with a happy beat. I like it. Good harmony, and that
Van Gogh sure makes a pretty picture.:hide:

Thanks Pilou, both Barak and MIchelle are smooth dancers.

Now, how about a little world music? Playing for Change performed by street performers from all over the world. Here is "Stand By Me".

Last edited:
Here's one from a group from just down the road from me, The Allman Brothers Band. Notice that there a 3 sets of drums behind them. Also, Derek Trucks is arguably the world's best slide guitar player. This is another version of the Van Morrison song "Into the Mystic". Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
Here's one from a group from just down the road from me, The Allman Brothers Band. Notice that there a 3 sets of drums behind them. Also, Derek Trucks is arguably the world's best slide guitar player. This is another version of the Van Morrison song "Into the Mystic". Hope you enjoy.

Thanks Don, talented guitarists and drummers.

After my forays into funk/acid jazz, here is some quintessentially American Booker T and the MGs " Green Onions", live. Actually, it`s pretty funky stuff.
What are the "MGs"? No, not an English sportscar. Don`t search it, what are the MGs?

And I think we need some Jimmy Smith on Hammond organ.

It's time to wish everyone a Merry Christmas from down here in Dixie. First is a group from about 50 miles down the road at Ft. Payne Alabama.

And here is another Christmas wish just because I like it.

Great, Bruce. Nothing sounds like the original B3 Hammond. Even the new digital B3 just can't duplicate that growl. Since the British sports cars were so popular about the time they were formed I always assumed that the group was named after the MG.

For an aside here's a story. Along about the mid sixties I was driving my XK120 after dark in Orlando, FL. We were in the midst of one of the famous Central Florida thunder storms. I couldn't tell, but the curbs were full. I hit an area and seemed to hydroplane. Of course the Lucas (you know "Prince of Darkness") electrics drowned out. I was in front of the Colonial Bowling Lanes. Stepping out into water over my ankles I looked up. There over me was a back lit sign that read "Booker T and the MGs playing in the lounge". I can never forget that. Thanks for the memory.

Don, Were you smart enough to go in and listen to the music until the rain stopped?
Did you know you can buy replacement smoke for Lucas electrical items? When the smoke leaks out of the wires you just pump fresh smoke in and off you go.

Getting back to my Muscle Shoals theme the tune Brown Sugar took advantage of the new soul palette laid in front of The Stones in Alabama.

https://youtu.be/3B0Y3LUqr1Q

Wild Horses was a departure into something new for the Stones

https://youtu.be/l0QATz8aEAc

This last one is not the best audio quality but the archival studio footage from 1969 is priceless in my opinion. If you really wanna hear how 3 days of drinking and smoking pot in an Alabama studio can change a bands sound here it is. You Gotta Move

https://youtu.be/xCbAGsWMvZs

Rumor has it Kieth Richards was introduced to and fell in love with playing slide guitar during this 3 day period.

Many thanks to everyone. This thread has allowed me to back through my memory of favorite music. Just great!!!

In the late 50s I was driving an over the road truck through the night. That was before air conditioning and no radios installed. I would place my transister radio with the rotating bar antenna on the dash. The only thing I could pick up at those hours were the clear channel AM band stations. I spent hours listening to WCKY in Cincinnati, WLAC in Nashville, WWL in New Orleans and so forth. When the "skip" moved on I had to hunt another station.

Skip forward about 15 to 20 years or so. My employer was Boise Cascade Corp. at that time. They had transferred me to be Territory manager in Nashville. The home we were buying would not be available for a few months. So, we moved into a temporary apartment. I was in the pool teaching my young sons to swim when I heard a voice from behind. I recognized it immediately, and turned and said, "John R". He said, "yes". John R. had been the late night DJ at WLAC those many years ago. I told him how he had helped to keep me awake through many a lonely night.

Now for the Playing for Change Band playing live in Brazile. This gal can sing.

After my forays into funk/acid jazz, here is some quintessentially American Booker T and the MGs " Green Onions", live. Actually, it`s pretty funky stuff.
What are the "MGs"? No, not an English sportscar. Don`t search it, what are the MGs?

BruceK, years ago I heard it stood for Memphis Group. After your post I had to look it up. Turns out it may have actually been named after the car! Here is a link to the Wikipedia post on the group. Scroll down near the bottom for an explanation of the name. Booker T. & the M.G.'s - Wikipedia

MGs?

That`s interesting Parks. Don thought the same as you, named after the car. I`d only heard "Memphis Group".
Calling another group " The Triumphs" supports it. Even if the publicity dept. later changed the name from an English sportscar to a local city.
There were 2 female singers here, who for a particular TV series ("Club Buggery',I kid you not, a spoof "Tonight" type show compered by fictitious sporting hero HG Nelson)were renamed "The Nissan Cedrics" after the car of that name. Hard to think of a car you`d less want to be called after. It was that kind of Show.

Don, Were you smart enough to go in and listen to the music until the rain stopped?
Did you know you can buy replacement smoke for Lucas electrical items? When the smoke leaks out of the wires you just pump fresh smoke in and off you go.

Hey Parks, don't know how I missed this valuable tip. Well, I may have been smart enough and wanted to go inside, but I had a little problem. My car was stalled in the traffic lane. However, I figured out my problem. If I had been going a little faster my car could have just skimmed over the water. Next time it rains I'll just speed up.

My fondness for music and sports cars have stayed with me while some other things are leaving.:ermm::facepalm:

That`s interesting Parks. Don thought the same as you, named after the car. I`d only heard "Memphis Group".
Calling another group " The Triumphs" supports it. Even if the publicity dept. later changed the name from an English sportscar to a local city.
There were 2 female singers here, who for a particular TV series ("Club Buggery',I kid you not, a spoof "Tonight" type show compered by fictitious sporting hero HG Nelson)were renamed "The Nissan Cedrics" after the car of that name. Hard to think of a car you`d less want to be called after. It was that kind of Show.

Bruce, Booker T and the MGs sounds smoother than Booker T and the Triumphs or Healeys. While it was quite fashionable to name a musical group after cars. It was not always a good idea. I sang in a Kingston Trio style folk group. We thought about car names, but could only come up with the Minis. We didn't think that would attract too many girls.(that was the main object of being in a singing group) so shelved that idea. We called ourselves the Trends. We even won a contest put on by a local radio station, and sponsored by Coca-Cola. The grand prize was a recording session to cut a record. We thought we were on our way. There must have been something wrong with the recording equipment. The record sounded like a swarm of angry bees.

Moving into the 1970s Here is the Reverend Al Green with "Let's Stay Together". It's a little bit of a slow funk sound with the heavy drum lick on the third beat. I always liked Al Greene. Maybe because the B3 Hammond was often featured in his songs.

Here is a great talent. What a tragic ending. Truly one of the great voices and performers. Whitney Houston.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom