Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This last dance scene in the movie is most remarkable. Anthony Quinn, memorable actor in Alexis Zorba, unforgettable moment, thanks Don for sharing it. How nice you went where the last scene was performed.

Just one parenthesis about Anthony Quinn and Greece, did you see the movie "The Greek Tycoon" (1978) with Anthony Quinn & Jacqueline Bisset ? Anthony Quinn stars as Greek shipping-magnate Theo Tomassis (Aristotle Onassis) with Liz Cassidy - Jacqueline Bisset - widow of a President (Jacky Kennedy).

The last scene the best where Anthony Quinn is - again- dancing on a Greek music (in Mikonos ? look at the windmills) :

https://youtu.be/kZ8eWGjrMIs.

Pilou, yes that was a thinly disguised Aristotle and Jackie.

To explain further the reason for my being in Crete, I was doing some consulting work with a group of Scandinavian investors. The Greek government was giving an upfront 25% subsidy to anyone doing a development that would benefit areas. The reason I was on "Zorba's Beach" was because it was being evaluated for a hotel resort with a homes and villas element. It was part of a large tract being combined into the development. It seemed unreal to be working in the spot of one of my favorite films. "Zorba the Greek" gave a look into the mostly bleak life in remote Greek communities. The societal workings were most interesting and sometimes even morbid. We were also looking at a couple of other sites. One for a hotel in downtown Chania (pronounced Hania') notice the accent is on the last syllable. I was staying on the Peninsula in and area called Kalathas (pronounced Kalatha') again with the accent on the last syllable.

As a footnote, I guess we all know how well the Greek government handouts worked for them.

.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Here is a Little Something for the assembled masses...

Pilou, yes that was a thinly disguised Aristotle and Jackie.

To explain further the reason for my being in Crete, I was doing some consulting work with a group of Scandinavian investors. The Greek government was giving an upfront 25% subsidy to anyone doing a development that would benefit areas. The reason I was on "Zorba's Beach" was because it was being evaluated for a hotel resort with a homes and villas element. It was part of a large tract being combined into the development. It seemed unreal to be working in the spot of one of my favorite films. "Zorba the Greek" gave a look into the mostly bleak life in remote Greek communities. The societal workings were most interesting and sometimes even morbid. We were also looking at a couple of other sites. One for a hotel in downtown Chania (pronounced Hania') notice the accent is on the last syllable. I was staying on the Peninsula in and area called Kalathas (pronounced Kalatha') again with the accent on the last syllable.

As a footnote, I guess we all know how well the Greek government handouts worked for them.

Don, thanks for explaining, I trust it was an interesting professional experience, in a lovely place. Greece is a land of great natural beauty, cultural significance, fascinating history, and colorful folklore. Very hospitable locals, a healthy Mediterranean diet with delicious local products. 9,000 miles of coastline on crystalline seas !

Greece has over 18 UNESCO world heritage sites.

Sorry, this is off the music topic : My last time in Piraeus (the harbour of Athens), stunning sailboat.

Attachments

• PIRAEUS 1.jpg
    PIRAEUS 1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 216
  • PIRAEUS 2.jpg
    PIRAEUS 2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 206
When you talk about Greece, you talk about Melina Mercouri.

Born in Athens, she is one of the great women figures of Greece in the 20th century. A many-sided and vibrant personality, she played a leading role in the struggle against the Colonel’s Junta in 1967 – 1974 and was a great theater and film actress of international fame. The parts she has portrayed have made cinema history.

Melina (the diminutive of her two names Amalia – Maria) Mercouri comes from a family of politicians, Melina's father was a member of Parliament from the age of 22, and she was the grand daughter of Spyros Mercouris – one of the most successful and popular mayors of Athens for more than 30 years.

Melina was able to combine the magic of the performing arts with the realism of politics, she was very actively involved in many aspects of social and political life. Indeed first during the struggle against the dictatorship during the seven years of her exile in France 1967-1974 and later in 1977 she was elected to the Greek Parliament, and finally, Melina was to become the first woman to hold a Senior cabinet post "Minister of Culture" in the Greek government from 1981 to 1989 and from 1993 until her death as Minister of Culture.

Melina wed actor Jules Dassin in 1966 so she was the step-mother of the famous French singer Joe Dassin. Melina claimed that her lucky number was 18, because Jules Dassin was born on 18th of December, her grandfather, the mayor of Athens, Spyros Merkouris was born on 18th of June, and she met Jules Dassin in Cannes on May 18th 1955. She and remained married to him until her death in New York City in 1994. Melina was interred at 1st Cemetery of Athens, Greece, near to her grandfather and Mayor of Athens, Spyros Merkouris.

Melina's and Jules Dassin's film Topkapi (1964) was the inspiration for the film "Mission: Impossible" (1996) starring Tom Cruise.

Enjoy this great song "Never on Sunday", also known as "Ta Pediá tou Pireá" and the great singer/actress/sensual woman. Melina, miss you !

Greetings,
Mr. CP. Not playing one up-not with music. There are too many superlatives.
Agree. One bad ass song and I think this arrangement is the best...

It is awesome and there is no competition intended. And now for a return to my current favorite Swedish guitar player. I noticed the tuning sounded off to my ear for the position of her capo. It was then I noticed the second capo, very creative.

https://youtu.be/s6XkM9ri9io

Swedish. Did you say Swedish?

Craig, I don't know how that Aussie Tommy Emmanuel snuk into being a great picker. All I can say is that he owes a lot to Merle Travis and Chet Atkins.

Here is Tommy playing the theme to a great series of movies. My favorite was the first entitled "A shot in the Dark". It led the way for the Pink Panther series.

Last edited:
I just couldn't do a thread of music without paying tribute to the memory of Iz.

Thanks for posting IZ. He was a great singer. His funeral even had a boat. Nice tie in.

Greetings,
For ANY Motown fan, this is a MUST SEE! Documentary but good music as well. About 1.5hrs long.

Do you guys know Robert Earl Keen? You might guess he's a Texan from the album cover.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. Says video not available. Re: post #50. I'm currently trying to learn ukulele. This is some of my inspiration...

Last edited:
It's hard to think of the Motown sound without Marvin Gaye coming to mind.

Craig, here's an ABBA number you can even enjoy with the sound turned off.:blush:

Mr. RT, I'll see your ukulele bid with a couple.

Just in case that is not enough ukuleles for you take a listen to this.

Thinking about the Motown sound I have to mention the Impressions led by a hometown Chattanooga boy, Curtis Mayfield.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom