Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Craig. Wish I were there, too. My group of pickers is fading off into the sunset. Two of the four that have been playing together since school days are gone. I have carpel tunnel syndrome in both wrists. The old fingers just won't go where directed. So, I have all but quit playing my baritone uke. I loved that little thing. It's the only uke that tunes and chords like a guitar.

Merle Haggard is about #2 CD in my car. He appeared (I think) on this thread when he passed away. His recording of Silver Wings was so fitting to play. In fact, in honor of Merle I will play it. RIP, Merle.

Sure looks familiar, CP. My brother-in-law has played in bluegrass groups for decades (name of Bob Rogers, if that rings any bells, Don). He's been on stage with just about anyone you could name, going back to Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs--and toured with Curly Seckler for a few years. I loved listening to those guys play and could chord along on the simpler stuff. I regret waiting so long in life to take it up. Didn't know you were a picker, Don. Hate to hear bout your fingers, but I'm starting to experience some of the same issues. Still have good ears, though :D.

Ian, my ears went before the fingers.

This is for those not familiar with a baritone uke. It's sort of like a tenor guitar, but with different tuning. Here's a bit of playing on one. Not me performing. Hope you enjoy this little interlude.

Let's change gears a little.

Ian, my ears went before the fingers.

This is for those not familiar with a baritone uke. It's sort of like a tenor guitar, but with different tuning. Here's a bit of playing on one. Not me performing. Hope you enjoy this little interlude.

Really nice! It always amazes me what some people can get out of four strings. (Are they all gut or do I see a steel string on #4?).

As a uke player, you must know about this guy.

Really nice! It always amazes me what some people can get out of four strings. (Are they all gut or do I see a steel string on #4?).

As a uke player, you must know about this guy.

Yes, very familiar with Jake S. talent. It looks like he is playing a concert size uke there. It has regular uke tuning. You know my dog has fleas.:D

The baritone uke has the D and G strings steel wrapped. Softer than a regular steel strung guitar. It tunes D, G, B, E like a regular guitar without the top two strings. The baritone has a much softer sound. A tenor guitar can be tuned like a mandolin or violin.

It's strange when pickers discover my little baritone how they all want to pick it up. They get fascinated with it, and it's hard to get it back. About once a year we will get together at the mountain cabin. Everyone wants to play the baritone.

Here's my buddy Ron that I started first grade with. We started playing ukes in second grade. Our first "gig" was as second graders playing on the stage with another good friend that passed on. I think the music teacher sat in the first row to signal when we were to change chords. Ron graduated to guitars are keyboards. Our other friend Dave became our lead singer. The other two in the following picture are Jim and Nancy. More recent friends, but Jim is a really good singer. Nancy knows the words to every song Jimmy Buffet has recorded. The note book on Ron's knee is our book of songs.

Fall in the mountains with good friends making music. It doesn't get much better than that.

img_546329_0_c7f5b8603f5eb2ecb65e0e8aea188879.jpg

This is for a TF friend who is sometimes a little confused with life questions. :D I will not call a name, but here is You Can Call Me Al.

I've never claimed to be a good dancer.

This one is for Parks (HopCar). It was hard to believe a couple of years back when I heard Robert Palmer had died. He definitely created his own unique style. RIP, Robert Palmer.

Sarah McLachlan -In the arms of the Angel, one of my favorites,

Robert Palmer fantastic videos I remember these from the long ago MTV days, before rap and hip hop
Thanks,

Last edited:
I can't remember if Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight has appeared in this thread. At any rate it's worth posting again. It's that good. A long intro, but worth it. I would love to have been at that concert.

The man is a great talent with amazing stage presence.

Last edited:
How about some sailing music. CSNY "Southern Cross", Christopher Cross "Sailing", Randy Newman "Sail Away. Lots of great cruising songs out there that are boat related.

How about some sailing music. CSNY "Southern Cross", Christopher Cross "Sailing", Randy Newman "Sail Away. Lots of great cruising songs out there that are boat related.

Welcome to the music thread. That's a great idea, and you mentioned some great songs. This is an open thread with all contributions welcome. Why don't you post some for our enjoyment?

I have no idea if many people here like opera. I do, it's more than a form of theater with music, it's a combinations of words and music that are pleasing to the ear and attractive to the heart. If you know how to develop your senses more fully, opera is to perceive and not just see, to listen rather than simply hear, to let ourself go by the feelings it arises without going through a rational analysis. The emotional dimension is amplified far beyond what words by themselves and the music by itself can achieve.

It's amazing how we use our senses to perceive opera but also how those senses are used in every aspect of life. I have selected Una Furtiva Lagrima from Donizetti's timeless opera L'elisir d'amore, one of my favorite music when anchored at night. Every time it reminded me of the way I first fell in love with opera.

Una Furtiva Lagrima, played in this revival by French tenor Roberto Alagna.

"Roberto Alagna - The Story of a Tenor.

The career of Alagna could well be made into a novel. He was born of Sicilian parents settled in the Parisian suburbs.

For years, he spent his nights singing old tunes and playing the guitar in the cabarets. But deep inside, he was fond of opera, and his idol was Pavarotti. So when the tenorissimo came to Paris to sign autographs in a department store, young Alagna sneaked through the crowd, managed to approach him and tell him a few words. The right words undoubtedly, as he was then invited to audition by the maestro. He went there and earned a ticket to the finale of the Pavarotti Competition in Philadelphia – which he won. This was 1988; he was twenty-four years old.

Alagna’s voice was then bright and radiant. It was the voice of the Italian tenor people dream about. Glyndebourne called him to play Alfredo in La Traviata. He then performed in Monte Carlo, and soon after at La Scala with Riccardo Muti, portraying Alfredo with rare fervor. After that, he played the Duke of Mantua in Rigoletto, once again with Muti, and Rodolfo in La Bohème. In just a few years, the greatest international stages, from New York to Vienna and London, opened their doors to him; the greatest conductors were honored to direct him; everywhere he was acclaimed.

Adopted by a broad public, Roberto Alagna appears on television sets where he performs with pop singers, participates in charity concerts (Michael Jackson & Friends) or exceptional events – in 2002 and 2003, he sang for the Pope in Rome. On his own admission, the high point of his career remains his performance, on July 14th 2005, of the French national anthem on the Champs-Élysées, in front of the official gallery.

Although his recordings and performances have earned him the highest musical and official awards (he was made knight of the French Legion of Honor in 2008), Roberto Alagna is not idling his time away. His schedule for the years to come includes major roles, such as Paolo in Francesca da Rimini, recently acclaimed in Paris and unanimously praised by the critics, Le Cid, Maurizio in Adriana Lecouvreur, etc.

Roberto Alagna’s gamble has now paid off: he has become a popular singer, known and loved by a broad audience, without renouncing the standards of the great lyrical repertoire.

As a consequence, at an age when other tenors start to feel somewhat drained, Alagna tackles these great roles with unbelievable freshness, on the world’s greatest stages, at a pace no-one but him could withstand. Add to that his perpetual risk-taking and the surprising initiatives the tenor embarks on, on a crush or by instinct."

As he likes to put it and repeat it again and again, my own secret (Alagna speaking) could be just the French identity which is made of generosity, tolerance, a firmly humanist, a pluralist in valuing diversity and the right to be different, and an unfailing enthusiasm in brotherhood.

Merci Roberto.

Not sure how this thread, started by a good Southerner, goes 289 posts without these guys.

I also don't know how this thread got started but double thumbs up to all the posts! All said well! I have nothing more to add....

I've never claimed to be a good dancer.

Lmao

You probably won't believe this but I called this song when it was my turn to sing lead after almost 60 hours of playing guitar over the last 4 days. You really can run out of bluegrass and country songs after that much pickin. I completely missed the last half and stunk up the first half but we had fun jamming it. A friend on dobro and another on mandolin managed almost 5 minutes of awesome solos each out of it.

WOW, Olivier. Roberto Alagna is a real tenor. I had not heard him. His voice control and expressiveness are simply amazing. To me this is such an interesting thread. To have an opera singer followed by Lynyrd Skynyrd is a real eye opener to the variety of music.

Last edited:
This one is for Parks (HopCar). It was hard to believe a couple of years back when I heard Robert Palmer had died. He definitely created his own unique style. RIP, Robert Palmer.

Thanks Don, I do like Robert Palmer. Here is one that a lot of people don't know but I really like.

His personality remains largely unknown, he describes himself as a fairly discrete and humble person who prefers to remain behind the scenes despite a very impressive musical biography, best remembered for his Oscar-winning scores to "A Man and a Woman" and "Love Story".

Composer Francis Lai was born April 26, 1932, in Nice, France. After studying piano as a child, he later discovered jazz and during the 1950s followed friend and singer Claude Goaty to Paris, eventually settling in Montmartre.

A brief stint in Michel Magne's orchestra preceded his tenure as accompanist for Edith Piaf from 1960 to 1963, for whom Lai composed numerous songs, and Mireille Mathieu in 1965. He made his film debut in 1966 when he composed the music for Claude Lelouch's 1966 hit "A Man and a Woman" which elevated Lai to international renown, and in addition to earning an Academy Award.

Singing version of "A Man and a Woman", it is uncommon for Francis Lai to sing on his own music:

He won a second Oscar for the 1970 Arthur Hiller blockbuster "Love Story". The film's theme, "Where Do I Begin?," also became a Top 40 hit for Andy Williams, Henry Mancini, and even Lai himself.

Decorated Chevalier of the French Order of Arts and Letters, in 1973, he continued working regularly in the cinema, often in conjunction with film director Claude Lelouch, and composed a number of instrumental favorites, including "Today It's You," "Happy New Year," and "Love in the Rain."

The list of international film musics what Francis Lai composed, also the list of international famous awards that he has received, are far too extensive to post in here. No doubt that composer Francis Lai is an exceptional talent well reflective of the sophisticated French romantic atmosphere.

Songs of our life

Gee, Olivier, those are truly beautiful songs that mark a time in our lives. I have never given a thought to the creative genius that created them. They become background to us. Thanks much for enlightening me on your post.

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. As a performing group during high school days (The Trends I'm sure you heard of us:D) we did a lot of Kingston Trio stuff. That one brings back many memories of the Act IV Coffee House where we performed many times.

Last edited:
This is for grahamdouglass. Nautical songs are cool, we have even done some like this one.

and one I particularly like.

Last edited:
Don & Steve, the nautical songs were great !

Santy Anno is the official anthem of French sailing clubs which all of us sang and danced together. I am sure Dorsey (Bruce B. Wifey D.) used to sing that song when she was sailing instructor in France. Many thanks Steve for posting Santy Anno, such pleasant memories.

Santy Anno, official anthem of French sailors :

Last edited:
"Songs of our life"

Gee, Olivier, those are truly beautiful songs that mark a time in our lives. I have never given a thought to the creative genius that created them. They become background to us. Thanks much for enlightening me on your post.

Don, "Songs of our life", well said, I liked that. I trust we have all been moved in watching the romantic drama Love Story to the sound of this romantic music, Harvard Law student Oliver and music student Jennifer sharing a chemistry they cannot deny and a love they cannot ignore. What began as a brutally honest friendship becomes the love story of their lives. Does that sound familiar? Well, that music rings a bell to me.

You are welcome, it's always a pleasure for me to post in your very nice thread. My apologizes if I wrote long posts each time but I thought that it would also been interesting to post about the context of a song (composer, performer, song writer) or singer's particular background, personal history & values for the reason that music is not only a song or a melody, it's a socio-cultural connection, a social media.
I think it's interesting to know what information does a song provides about the lives of the people who created them, what stories can you tell about the singers based upon the lyrics. Composers, singers, musicians and their audiences are social actors; while they reflect the world around them, they also interpret and change it.

As John Lennon used to say,"I think the music reflects the state that the society is in". Then be sure that there was no chauvinism in my posts of French songs, I just consider songs as straightforward “reflections” of the society and culture in which they were produced and from which it emerges. Music leads one to discover the idea that the general mood of a country is reflective of the popular songs during that time. This principle is due to the fact that people are very much influenced by their surroundings. This is the same as when people are sad they listen to sad music or when they are happy and energetic they like to listen to up beat music.

Song & music can often have more of an effect than anything else.

Santy Anno,
Thank you Olivier for the French rendition, very nice video and music, it is something new to me, I have never heard the song except for the English version.

Olivier,

Being so long since seeing the movie, I looked up the recap of the plot of A Man and a Woman. The music has always brought to mind driving roads like the Corniche. Now I know why. I was very much into Formula One Racing along with World Rally series. I had a Jaguar XK120 modified coupe that was a replica of the Jaguar that won Le Mans 24 Hour. So, the music brings to mind driving a sports car with the top down on the Corniche. I don't remember if it was a dubbed English version of the movie, but at the time anything to do with racing I was up for. Probably the love story was second to that. Thanks for the memory.

Last edited:
Here's a little lady with a voice like an angel. I think has not appeared on this thread. Mostly just her and the guitar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom