Perfect looper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only one helm and it is exposed. The position of the helm on the upper deck doesn't provide very good visibility but who cares about the weather or crab pots when you are designing a party barge. Maybe it was meant to be towed...haha.

Looks like it ought to be real easy to tie up in a slip or anchor out. :nonono: Clearly designed by an RV engineer, not a nautical engineer.

Ted

The canvas enclosure guys will love them!

Here it is for anyone who is too lazy to follow the link...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 156
From the ad copy:

"Seaworthiness with low center of gravity and power catamaran benefits"

Low center of gravity? Really?

It does indeed look like a toaster. I like it, not very nautical looking but fills a niche in the market. Enclose the upper deck with eisenglass and you get 1700 sq ft of living space in a 45 ft boat. Thats a pretty neat trick. Aside from a looper it would make a great floating apartment for snowbirders. Would definitely not want to get caught in nasty weather off shore with it though.

They've delivered several. Going to have one at Miami. A little less than $1 million, tricked out and delivered to Florida (44 foot version). Built in Italy. CE Category B.

Category B — Offshore. Category B includes boats operating offshore with winds up to 40 knots, Beaufort Force 8, and significant seas up to 13 feet.

[emoji15]

Yeah, like everyone, my first concern was seaworthiness. The Cat. B is surprising.

Looks like locks would be a challenge. Details aren't good on the pictures but it looks like you would have to handle lines from the top deck.

It doesn't excite me. The piece of toast it would make, would be too much for me, and with my luck, I'd burn it.

Category B — Offshore. Category B includes boats operating offshore with winds up to 40 knots, Beaufort Force 8, and significant seas up to 13 feet.

[emoji15]

Typical for boats in it's size range although some are Category A. I bet though that the B only is up to a certain number of passengers and with more it's a C.

Those European CE ratings are pretty silly IMO. My boat is A rated, but I would have a heart attack in winds over 40 knots and waves over 13'.

But I'm a whimp...

Those European CE ratings are pretty silly IMO. My boat is A rated, but I would have a heart attack in winds over 40 knots and waves over 13'.

But I'm a whimp...

They don't take heart attacks into consideration. Very few boats under 50' except true passagemakers are rated A. Our 44' Riva was the only boat of it's type we saw that was rated A. Most others are B but a lot of C and some B/C. For instance, no Beneteau Swift Trawlers get an A. Their 50' gets B14/C18, 44' gets B12/C14, 34' gets B8/C10/D11, and 30' gets B8. Those all appear logical. Beneteau has an interesting article on the subject.

What CE Certification means for Boat Buyers | Beneteau

I think of A - Ocean more as far offshore for extended voyages and B - Offshore as fine to run outside but be able to get back inside in a reasonable period of time. You'll get uncomfortable but not die in that time. C-inshore, I think of as bays, inland, ICW and all the rest. C can handle seas to 7'. It's probably consistent with the way the majority here actually boat. Some here do what I'd call B Boating, and a few do A boating. D is wave heights to 18 inches and that pretty much means sitting at the dock to me.

While the system is far from perfect and is more design than build, I've ridden on A's and B's of the same size and definitely perceived the difference in handling 6-8' seas. I didn't try them on 13' seas.

Almost expect Chevy Chase to be piloting it... The Family Truckster on water.

Did anyone notice that it's powered by two Volvo Penta diesels?

Star Trek shuttlecraft?

th

9k=

9k=

Last edited:
Just sayin it again...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 73
Who wants a boat with only 222 gallons of fuel? He has twice the horsepower but a quarter of fuel than I carry. His draft is surprisingly deep. Where is the tender?

People come up with intriguing concepts sometimes but can't ever seem to pull them off. We like some unique approaches we've seen. For instance, Wider with all the fold out sections. Then there's Astondoa's Top Deck series. The 65 is spacious.

65-top-deck_1-bis_crop_1905_1035 (1).jpg

And now they're introducing a 51'. Reminds me of the toaster boat.

51-top-deck-9813.jpg

Who wants a boat with only 222 gallons of fuel? He has twice the horsepower but a quarter of fuel than I carry. His draft is surprisingly deep. Where is the tender?

He might go the same distance on a tank as you, if their claimed mpg is true. If you look closely at the image, above, you'll see the tender and a crane on the flybridge. They also offer an option for a hydraulic tender platform.

Looks like a pontoon designed by Stark, bizarre and intriguing but like mentionned previously I hardly imagine this going through locks on rideau waterway. Maybe correct for big lake cruising and live aboard?

"The Overblue 44 hull holds 2 x222 (444) gallon fuel tanks, water tanks as well as a grey and backwater tank."

Perfect looper?

I hope so.

I bought one.

The larger Overblue has an enclosed upper deck and a Cat A rating..I think it’s a 56’

The larger Overblue has an enclosed upper deck and a Cat A rating..I think it’s a 56’

I got a 48. Cat B rated. If I ever wander into Cat B conditions, it will be the end of boating with my wife.

Single helm on the flybridge? Doesn't look like it would be easy to enclose or maybe I just lack imagination.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom