Christmas Boat Parade HOUMA LA.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Houma has a boat parade? How many boats normally? Sorry, just surprised a little. They might be smallest town with a boat parade. :dance:

Not if the shrimp boats turn out. Laffite and all the other surrounding towns could show up and it would be one heck of a party...I mean parade.

Wifey B, everyone living in Houma above the age of 7 has a boat! Probably more boats per capita than pickups in that area!

Some facts regarding the Houma area:

The Houma-Bayou Cane-Thibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area is a metropolitan area in the Acadiana region of southern Louisiana, United States that covers two parishes - Lafourche and Terrebonne. As of the 2010 census, the MSA had a population of 208,178.
The parish seat of Lafourche Parish, Thibodaux, is located 15 miles NNW from the parish seat of Terrebonne Parish, Houma. Bayou Cane is the commercial district of Terrebonne Parish and Lafourche Parish and is commonly referred to by locals as Houma. In 2014, Forbes magazine ranked Houma-Thibadaoux as the eighth-fastest-growing small city in the United States. The metropolitan area is commonly referred to by locals as the "Houma-Thibodaux" area.

Berwick Duval
Serenity
Homeport-Houma (currently in Sarasota).

Some facts regarding the Houma area:

The Houma-Bayou Cane-Thibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area is a metropolitan area in the Acadiana region of southern Louisiana, United States that covers two parishes - Lafourche and Terrebonne. As of the 2010 census, the MSA had a population of 208,178.
The parish seat of Lafourche Parish, Thibodaux, is located 15 miles NNW from the parish seat of Terrebonne Parish, Houma. Bayou Cane is the commercial district of Terrebonne Parish and Lafourche Parish and is commonly referred to by locals as Houma. In 2014, Forbes magazine ranked Houma-Thibadaoux as the eighth-fastest-growing small city in the United States. The metropolitan area is commonly referred to by locals as the "Houma-Thibodaux" area.

Berwick Duval
Serenity
Homeport-Houma (currently in Sarasota).

Wifey B: I have no doubt it's a lovely place. Just still surprised at the boat parade. Probably more fun to participate in than ours, although ours is probably better to watch. I'd be interested in knowing how many boats are in it. I love small towns to visit. Haven't ever lived in a small MSA. Have lived in a relatively small town within the MSA. Smallest MSA for me is 2.3 million. :blush:

I like small town feel and big city conveniences. :)

Why is Houma growing so rapidly? Seems the really rapid growing places I'm aware of are a lot of towns just north of Dallas that had 5,000 people 10 years ago and now have 300,000.

You're going to miss the parade if you're in Sarasota. :lol:

The growth was mainly due to the oil and construction industries. Naturally that has slowed with the drop in oil prices. The area had only about 60,000 people when I grew up here and was primarily an agricultural and seafood economy. The area boomed in the 70s with the oil industry. The Louisiana Offshore Oil Port (LOOP), a platform 18 miles south of Grand Isle, has offloaded oil from supertankers for nearly three decades. The port sends about 1 million barrels of foreign crude each day — 10 percent of the nation’s imports — to storage tanks onshore. From there, it is channeled via pipeline to refineries around the U.S. So our economy fluctuates with the price of oil. While Florida was suffering through the housing bubble burst, we were riding high as oil was at $100 plus per barrel. With oil now below $50 we are entering a downturn as the rest of the US economy seems to be rebounding. The boat parade has a unique Cajun flair and is a fun time. It has been around far as long as I can remember and involves commercial fishing boats and pleasure craft.

Unfortunately, I will miss the parade this year, but will watch the Sarasota parade at Marina Jack. It is also a fun time, albeit without the Cajun flair!

Well the parade really starts in Bourg, La. and goes to Montegut, La.

BACK TO YOU BERWICK FOR EXPLANATION LOL

There is a boat parade in Oak Island, Tx. Their population is 363 per Google. Nearby Anahuac has a population of 2200 which would likely participate in the parade. Great people over there!!! I would go but have plans that weekend.

PS....our boat parade here in Clear Lake is the 51st annual....I think. Usually about 150 boats participate. It is always a great time and one of my favorite nights on the Lake!!!

Back
Top Bottom