New to US Electric Outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
ePropulsion introduced their line of electric outboards at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show. I think it compares well with the Torqueedo at a little lower price.
They were showing a 3 hp equivalent that comes with a 1000 watt hour battery and a 9.9 equivalent motor. Boat show price on the small one was $1799.
They've been sold in Europe and Oz for a couple of years now.
They won't be available until December. Looks like I'm going to be a dealer. I'm looking forward to playing with one.

ePropulsion introduced their line of electric outboards at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show. I think it compares well with the Torqueedo at a little lower price.
They were showing a 3 hp equivalent that comes with a 1000 watt hour battery and a 9.9 equivalent motor. Boat show price on the small one was $1799.
They've been sold in Europe and Oz for a couple of years now.
They won't be available until December. Looks like I'm going to be a dealer. I'm looking forward to playing with one.

Anxious to hear your thoughts after you try one. They look interesting. I've not used a Torqueedo so can't really compare.

ePropulsion | Electric Outboard

Well, it is a better looking unit than its competition.
The Torqueedo looks like it was styled by an engineer, this one is better.
Now we need warranty information and recharge information/data. Maybe some idea about the chargers available?
My interest is piqued.
Bruce

Anxious to hear your thoughts after you try one. They look interesting. I've not used a Torqueedo so can't really compare.

ePropulsion | Electric Outboard

Yep, me too (hear thoughts) and me too (not used a Torqueedo).

FWIW, the latter doesn't seem to have a great online rep for either reliability or service... and their prices seem a bit "adventurous" to me.

If the ePropulsion units can at least provide some competition and that makes market prices manageable, so much the better. If they turn out to be reliable and the company develops a decent reputation for service if/when needed, all good.

I like that their web page for 1.0 model lists kW (1.0), horsepower, and pounds thrust all in the same table. Comparing kW, HP and thrust across brands and models (including Minn Kota, for example) is like pulling teeth...

I've been thinking of "electrifying" our square stern canoe, mostly for upstream help. The 5-hp 2-stroke gas model we have now for that purpose is becoming a bit heavy over time (it must be growing or something, I dunno...) and the on-going issues with ethanol are irritating enough already. And even though 5-hp is stickered as OK for that boat, it's really a tad unnecessary... even bordering on "you gotta be careful with that!" Plus, carrying extra fuel, or dealing with fuel access (or lack thereof) in the boonies is another issue that solar charging could maybe mitigate.

Although, I'd eventually maybe wonder about external charging devices and external battery options... depending on how the base unit shapes up.

-Chris

I have had a Torqeedo for about 6 years and have had zero problems with it. The only thing I have done was to buy a second battery because my wife worried about running out of battery on trips.

I like the larger battery capacity on the ePropulsion unit, but I don't like the added weight. The ePropulsion 1.0 unit weighs about 14 pounds more than the equivalent Torqeedo T1003. I note that Torqeedo now sells a ~1,000 watt-hour battery which would make the weight about the same.

As far as appearance I would say the ePropulsion motor looks like a Torqeedo with the edges rounded, but basically the same.

For me it would come down to where the motors are made. Torqeedo - Germany, ePropulsion - China. All other things being equal, I would pick the german motor.

I've considered going electric. Seems a trolling motor and a remote deep cycle battery would do the same thing at lower cost.

Nothing electric is going to plane out, or if it does it won't do it for long. So little point in going over 1kW for a dink.

Bruce -two year warranty. They are setting up service centers but there is very little to service. If anything goes wrong, they'll just replace major components.

You have to use their charger and it takes six hours to fully charge the battery. I understand they make an adapter to allow it to be charged from solar panels but they didn't have one in the booth.

Ski - I use a trolling motor on my canoe and on a odd board boat that I have. It is a 30 pound thrust motor. It works very well in those applications. The ePropulsion has more than twice the thrust so should work on much bigger and heavier boats. There are other advantages over the trolling motor but like you, I'm not sure they are worth the huge price difference.

TDunn, why did you choose to buy a Torqueedo over a trolling motor?

I kinda like engines but an electric would be nice. Many people will buy anything that's new technology just because it's vouge.

But when I can get a gas engine for $225 buying an electric motor seems like a dim prospect.

And then there's the running out of "gas" problem. Re the engine/motor question I wonder how comparable the battery is to the gas tank weight wise and range wise? Chris w his canoe may be interested in light weight. I almost never go in my small boats where one can buy gas along the way so I'm going to run out of gas just like an electric. But it's more practical to have several gas tanks and just take what you need than an assortment of expensive batteries.

And then there's the power difference. I suppose it's better now but I'll bet it's still wide.

Bottom line is engine is cheap and I like engines. Small OB's aren't very likeable much above half throttle though.

You can put together a decent trolling motor system for about $400:

Minn Kota Riptide 45 lb motor $250
Interstate Group 24 deep cycle 100
Battery box 20
Cable and clamps 20

The 45 lbs thrust motor will draw about 30 amps at wot, so it is a 360 watt motor, about 1/3 the size of the ePropulsion unit. The battery is about 70 AH or more than 1 KWh, but at a 30 amp output it is probably much less, say 1/2 or 35 AHs. That will still run the motor wide open for 1 hour.

It isn't as elegant as the ePropulsion or the Torquedo, but much cheaper.

I have a good friend who uses a smaller motor and battery on his dinghy. He usually only has to travel 10 minutes to get to shore and that system works fine for him.

David

Well if you run out of gas any boat can give you a quart or two. If you run out of battery?

I've owned a Torqueedo for about 5 years and used it on my sailboat dinghy. I kept it when I sold that dink but haven't used it as Kinship came with a Honda 8hp 4 stroke. I keep thinking about putting the Torqueedo on my current dink as the 8hp won't plane it anyway and I like the quiet and gas free use of the Torqueedo. I have a solar charger for it and it has never given me a lick of problems.

I am happy to see some competitors to Torqueedo come to the market.

TDunn, why did you choose to buy a Torqueedo over a trolling motor?

I didn't want to have to lug a grp 27 battery around. I initially bought it when alcohol in gas killed my Mercury 4 stroke 4 hp outboard. It pushes my compact rib 310 very nicely. I haven't used it much for the last three years though because I haven't used the inflatable and I enjoy rowing my had dinghy.

I use the Torqeedo mostly when we go for overnights on the sailboat. The sailboat stays on my mooring and the Torqeedo stays in the lazaret of the powerboat at the marina where the dinghy is.

Last edited:
On the issue of running out of juice, there is a panel on the tiller that tells you running time remaining at your current speed.

With my little trolling motor I carry two small batteries that probably have a little less total power than a Group 24 battery. When the first battery drops too low, I know it's time to head back. You also have to keep in mind if you've been going up wind or down.

With electric motors, fuel management is harder than with gasoline or propane, but it is manageable.

I like the larger battery capacity on the ePropulsion unit, but I don't like the added weight. The ePropulsion 1.0 unit weighs about 14 pounds more than the equivalent Torqeedo T1003. I note that Torqeedo now sells a ~1,000 watt-hour battery which would make the weight about the same.

Looks to me like the total weight they report for the 1.0 -- 42.7-lbs for the short shaft version -- includes basic motor and separable battery...

That would compare favorably to the 46-lbs our 5-hp 2-stroke Johnson (Suzuki), since I could more easily handle the reduced weight of each individual part for on-load/off-load.

Maybe the Torqueedo works that way, too; I forget...

-Chris

Last edited:
You can put together a decent trolling motor system for about $400:

Minn Kota Riptide 45 lb motor $250
Interstate Group 24 deep cycle 100
Battery box 20
Cable and clamps 20

The 45 lbs thrust motor will draw about 30 amps at wot, so it is a 360 watt motor, about 1/3 the size of the ePropulsion unit. The battery is about 70 AH or more than 1 KWh, but at a 30 amp output it is probably much less, say 1/2 or 35 AHs. That will still run the motor wide open for 1 hour.

It isn't as elegant as the ePropulsion or the Torquedo, but much cheaper.

I have a good friend who uses a smaller motor and battery on his dinghy. He usually only has to travel 10 minutes to get to shore and that system works fine for him.

Some of our paddling would be in brackish (at least) water, occasionally salt, and IIRC Minn Kota is a bit more proud of their saltwater models?

And mostly I'd be focused on upstream capability, so I'd be picking thrust/HP based on that.

Anyway, I'm thinking long-distance paddling, so solar charging would maybe be a must... but I hadn't ever gotten around to looking whether there are useful solar chargers for G24s/G27s/etc.

-Chris

Looks to me like the total weight they report for the 1.0 -- 42.7-lbs for the short shaft version -- includes basic motor and separable battery...

That would compare favorably to the 46-lbs our 5-hp 2-stroke Johnson (Suzuki), since I could more easily handle the reduced weight of each individual part for on-load/off-load.

Maybe the Torqueedo works that way, too; I forget...

-Chris

Torqeedo T1003 short shaft is 29 pounds and yes it come apart into three parts (tiller, main motor and battery). The heaviest part is about 14 pounds and is easy to get onto the main boat. The ePropulsion looks like it only breaks down into 2 parts (battery and everything else). Each part is probably around 20 lbs.

Electric would be fine for 90% of my dink'n. But occasionally I like to take a long tour around a Bahamian island and that might be an hour or two run time. No problem with the 2hp 'rude and a one gal can of gas.

With electric, it would be a little spooky. I can do battery math just fine, but you can not tell how much energy is REALLY in a battery by looking at it, or putting a meter on it. No sure way to tell it's capacity without draining it down. Half way around an island is not a great place to come to that determination.

Pretty easy to tell how much energy is in a one gal can of gas.

To me it seems obvious that you would carry an extra battery. I asked the rep from ePropulsion how many people buy an extra battery with the motor. I was surprised to learn that only about 20% buy a second battery with the motor. Of course maybe they buy it later. On the other hand, I may be wrong and people don't feel the need for a second battery.

Wes,
70's engine.
At Discount Boat Center In LaConner WA.

I have a 25# thrust Minnkota I use sometimes on my hard dink. It works OK in very protected water but I had it in the Clear Lake channel one day and had to use the oars to supplement the power fighting some current. I decided then I would attempt to get my old 4hp 2 stroke Johnson running. A new charge coil and trigger has it purring like a kitten and it has more than enough power and is lighter than a 4 stroke. My main objection to electric is the cost. So all you rich guys, get out there and buy 'em so the prices will come down. lol.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom