New Tackle Center for OA 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Although i love my Ocean Alexander 42, I've lusted for a tackle center that the boat lacks. Not any more!

I'm having one built out of Starboard & it's designed to fit in the starboard corner of the cockpit. One side probably will house the tools I use frequently and the other is for tackle, reels, small propane bottles, etc.

I'm really tired of going in to the lazarette every time I need a tool!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Composite Drawers.jpg
    Composite Drawers.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 147
very nice looking...what's the weight of that baby, being all starboard?

very nice looking...what's the weight of that baby, being all starboard?
The answer is "we don't know but are estimating it between 300-400 pounds." :blush:

Why are there screws showing all around the door frames?
The cabinet is so heavy that we had to build it in modules. (ie:) Main frame, drawer modules (2) & drawers. There are a total of 500 SS screws holding it together. The final assembly was completed on the boat.
There's an inspection plate under the starboard corner of the cabinet that covers the Maretron fuel probe. If it ever goes bad we can still access it by simply removing a couple of drawers.

Attachments

• IMG_2330.jpg
    IMG_2330.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2324.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2335.jpg
    IMG_2335.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2331.jpg
    IMG_2331.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Nice prototype.....shoud be easy to make your final next try.

I will PM you my shipping address for that scrap starboard....:D

:thumb::thumb::thumb:...nice work....

Walt

That is much more usable than the one you noted on the OA 42 at Van Isle. Good job, but which drawer is sculpted for the Scotch? :confused:

Very nice!!!

For folks that don't have access to local craftsmen like Mr Codger :) has, I had a similar unt built several years ago by an outfit called Buck Woodcraft

Buck Woodcraft -- Specialized Products & Services For Boaters

They will do stock units, but I sent them my measurements and they built one to my specifications.

Nice prototype.....shoud be easy to make your final next try.

I will PM you my shipping address for that scrap starboard....:D

:thumb::thumb::thumb:...nice work....
Aint that the truth! That stuff is expensive!

Walt

That is much more usable than the one you noted on the OA 42 at Van Isle. Good job, but which drawer is sculpted for the Scotch? :confused:
The Scotch cradle hasn't been built yet but it will go in the bottom drawer, starboard.

My actual liquor cabinet is inside the salon.

Attachments

• IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 119
  • liquor.jpg
    liquor.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Emergency stashes are in every good survival handbook..... check the boating safety thread....:D

Very nice design and install, Walt! I like hoe the lines match the boat's lines. It looks like it was always there.

We might need a bigger cutting board when we go fishing next time, though. Let's see a shot with some fish blood splattered on the decks!! :hide:

Let's see a shot with some fish blood splattered on the decks!! :hide:

I think that Walt only allows bloodless, pre-cleaned fish on that beautiful deck. :D

Sorry for the tardy responses to friends who posted here but I have been at my home in Sedona & forced to communicate on my wife's iPad. ( I hate this damn thing!)
All hardware has been installed & the final design is working better than I have hoped for.

Sorry for the lopsided pics but I don't know how to rotate them on this @&:.$ iPad!

Attachments

• IMG_2522.jpg
    IMG_2522.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2523.jpg
    IMG_2523.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Back