"Staples"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwidman

Guru
I have recently seen these railings (I believe they are called "staples" because that's what they look like) on a few new boats.

My first thought is, these would be a great safety feature for getting on and off the swim platform onto a floating dock.

My second thought is, if you backed into a dock that was higher than the swim platform, you could do some pretty expensive damage to the railings and the swim platform. They could also get in the way when getting into or out of a dinghy.

Any experience or thoughts?

Attachments

• qa 004.jpg
    qa 004.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 94
Actually, they are very beneficial to getting out of a dinghy, nice high handholds. Never really thought of your scenario with damage. They are normally inside the platform edge by a good six or so inches(as pictured) , but I guess it is possible. That is when it is nice to have a first mate , stern camera , or good sightlines.

My boat has them, though they can only barely be seen in my avatar, which also doesn't do a god job of reflecting the 28" depth (width? length?) of the swim platform.

In any event, they hugely enhance safety for not only docking, but also for bringing in fish and peeing off the back. Without them, the swim platform area would be much less usable.

I wouldn't want to hit the dock with any part of my boat, but haven't give any particular concern to any of the railing.

Last edited:
We have them too and I think they are a great benefit. I think the key is to have staple, gap, staple, gap. That way there is both something to grab onto, and a space to pass through. Is addition to getting on and off the boat, and into/out of the dinghy, we use them extensively for getting in and out of kayaks where my wife is agility-challenged.

I expect most staples are removable, but maybe not. Being removable increases flexibility in how you use them. Two of our staples also have sockets welded to their feet where you can park one of the other staples if you want to get it out of the way.

All in all, I think they make for a very flexible and useful system.

We have them as well. At first I was concerned about the strength of them before we had the boat. I have found that they are very strong and add both convenience and safety to the swim platform. In a way it makes the swim platform much more useful. Imagine a balcony with and without a railing. Which one would you use more?

Example of "staples" not located for easy dinghy access:

Many boats also have an extra set of holes in the swimgrid, close to the transom, for standing storage of the staple that is removed to improve dinghy access.

They also provide a good mounting place for a coil of stern tie line, should your cruising take you eg: to Desolation Sound.

On a boat where the dinghy is stored on the roof or the bow, then staples on the swim platform are great. They make it far more usable and serve to make boarding the dinghy much safer. Those boats that carry their dinghy on the platform, don't have them. We have both situations. On the boat without them (dinghy on platform) we miss them most when returning to the boat with the dinghy.

As to the backing problem, they're like any other part of your boat, it's best to not hit things. The platform is of greater concern than the staples.

Our staples are removable but we rarely if ever remove one.

On a boat where the dinghy is stored on the roof or the bow, then staples on the swim platform are great. They make it far more usable and serve to make boarding the dinghy much safer. Those boats that carry their dinghy on the platform, don't have them. We have both situations. On the boat without them (dinghy on platform) we miss them most when returning to the boat with the dinghy.

Our staples are removable but we rarely if ever remove one.

We carry our dinghy either on the upper deck using the crane or on the swim step using the SeaWise davits. The staples don't inhibit access to the dinghy in either situation.

Our are also removable, but we have rarely removed them.

We carry our dinghy either on the upper deck using the crane or on the swim step using the SeaWise davits. The staples don't inhibit access to the dinghy in either situation.

Our are also removable, but we have rarely removed them.

Yes, on our Sunseeker the Rib is on the platform. Just the way the boat is designed, either that or a garage and you give up space you need for the garage in this boat. Fortunately the platform lowers into the water.

How do you use the SeaWise with the staples?

If you are thinking about adding them, make sure to get piggy-back option so you can remove one staple and 'stack' it on the back of it's neighbor. That's the best way to store one that's not in use and simply a pocket on the side of the staple pipe, above the deck line. Also, if it isn't sealed, make sure to add foam to the pipe to make it float, if it falls overboard...

My first thought is, these would be a great safety feature for getting on and off the swim platform onto a floating dock.

My second thought is, if you backed into a dock that was higher than the swim platform, you could do some pretty expensive damage to the railings and the swim platform. They could also get in the way when getting into or out of a dinghy.

Any experience or thoughts?

I've run a number of boat with swim platform rails.

As to your thoughts:

1) They are a great safety feature and are handy for getting in and out of a tender.

2) The key to keeping them intact is to not hit the dock. :D

The ones on the current boat I run have a swinging gate in the middle section. Which makes it much easier to board than when you have to pull out a rail section.

I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

If you go with only the pull out rails I'd recommend putting an extra set of sockets in the platform where you can stow any rail section you remove.

Last edited:
I don't think the ones in the photo I posted pull out but I can't be certain. There's a gap with a chain in the center for boarding.

I don't think the ones in the photo I posted pull out but I can't be certain. There's a gap with a chain in the center for boarding.

You could be right.

But most, even with a gate or chain, pull out to clear the swim platform.

Since the one on the starboard side is taller than the other two, I suspect that they are removable and that the center one was mistakenly moved to starboard.

Yes, on our Sunseeker the Rib is on the platform. Just the way the boat is designed, either that or a garage and you give up space you need for the garage in this boat. Fortunately the platform lowers into the water.

How do you use the SeaWise with the staples?

Works fine. The cable from the SeaWise pedestal goes over the top of the staple. The staple never interferes with the cable at all. This is the only photo I have handy but it might give you an idea.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1475614076.414327.jpg

Since the one on the starboard side is taller than the other two, I suspect that they are removable and that the center one was mistakenly moved to starboard.

I think they are the same height, it's just the angle of the photo that makes one seem higher than the other. They don't look like they pull out but I've never tried and I haven't seen the owner, only the broker.

The next question is, If I wanted to install these, who would I go to?

We have two on our swim step that are permanently mounted with 4 bolts through the swim step on each. I have an inflatable kayak/drift raft for short shore excursions with the dog that we put between the staples and the transom when under way. Easy to launch, board, and recover. Next summer I am going to experiment with a 5 HP outboard and motor mount (3 foot 2x6) attached to one staple for use as a trolling motor.

A great addition.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom