Radar Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Remedy
Vessel Make
Senator Sport/Fisher 31
Simrad 4G radar. I have power at the panel and Chartplotter comes up Radar. When I click on Transmit and press enter it goes to off. The manual states that there is a drive belt. Also, should I be able to hear the rotation inside the dome. I can get very close to it. Any suggestions. Archie/ Remedy

Arthur if you can get you ear right up to it I would think you should be able to hear it rotating. I'd suggest you ask the question in the electronics section of the hull truth forums. There are some very knowledgable people on there about Simrad systems,

Brett

We have the same unit on Blue Sky.

We had a similar issue, and I was able to correct it by doing a complete reset of the MFD, which was annoying as much had to be rebuilt, such as the data boxes.

Discussing it later with a tech, he suggested that rather than doing a reset, just power down the radar, wait a minute or two, and start it up. Note that this is not just shutting down the MFD but a shutdown of the radar unit itself at the electrical panel.

And on our boat, a Nordic Tug 42 with the radar dome pretty much directly above the helm station, I can clearly hear the radar antenna turning from the helm station once I hit transmit.

Radar Problems

Well, after manycalls and people with ideas I went up and un bolted the dome from the base. To my suprise the dome was full of water up to the rim seal. All factory seals were in place. One person wrote about condensation but this was 3 in. of water. Any ideas how so much water got in. Still factory sealed I say. Archie Bricker/Remedy

Pretty sure there is a drain/breather hole that must not be clogged or blocked. From the Installation Guide: " (Item D)

If you mount the scanner on a pedestal or base, ensure that rain and sea spray can drain away

rapidly, and the breather hole in the base can operate ."

Attachments

• 4Gbase.PNG
    4Gbase.PNG
    57.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Radar Problem solved

I finally took the dome down. The thing had 3 in of water in it. No wonder it didnt work. Unit was still factory sealed. Any ideas on how so much got in. Can't be condensation or can it. No weep holes. A letter to Simrad is going out. This 4G is shot. Archie Bricker/Remedy

Radar Problems

All the vents and drain holes were still sealed with plastic. Never got punched out when installed. Big bummer. Archie

Water should not be able to get in the dome. I have the same unit and I don't believe any holes have to be "punched out". My guess is that the seal around the dome is faulty.

Ken

My problem is that it has never been apart till now and seal looks perfect. I don't know. Thanks all for the replys. Archie Bricker/Remedy

Back
Top Bottom