Solar Panels & Charge Controllers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex Sailor

A set of solar panels & charge controller are in the works for us after haul out and I don't want to make the same mistake. Eg... Two sailing friends at the marina have installed panels etc. on their boats this year and appears that when ever the charge controller is " ON ", it totally chokes off their VHF radios and incl. any VHF radio ( yes ! even the masthead ) within close vicinity of their boats. Even the hand held is dead until one walks away from the boat. Their eqpt. has the CE label on it but not FCC or UL etc. and appears from poking around websites, that this is a common problem with some charge controllers yet that is not mentioned at point of purchase.

Has any one experienced such problem ? and what is the solution / brand recommendation ... ? Tx. in advance ......... FB

Never even heard of that particular problem. Even after reading dozens of long threads on solar and dozens more articles that never mention it either.

No problems at all with my Renology panels and cheap controller from Amazon.

After searching for this issue and reading up a bit on it, it doesn't sound very common, but if it happens, sounds like a pain to resolve if a different controller doesn't fix it right away.

I wouldn't be hesitant to install solar, just try the all the suggestions up front while installing the system instead of waiting for the issue.

Fortunately my setup is OK, hope my 2 new panels this year don't become a problem.

Last edited:
We use a Trace and it does not have this problem.

What ever you buy be sure it will easily allow you to set the charge top voltage and the float voltage.

Cruising you will be wanting all you can get to fill from 85% or 90% up to 100% full charge.

When NOT cruising you will want the charge and float V much lower to not use as much water.

I have a Morningstar TS-MPPT-45 Tristar 45 Amp MPPT Charge Controller that is mounted three feet from my bridge radio. The power output cables run withing inches of the radio. I haven't had any issues with the radios on the boat.

I had solar panels and a controller on my cruising sailboat. Absolutely no problems. While down in the islands, most sailboats had solar panels and I never heard of any type of problem like you described. I can only guess that somehow those owners made a basic wiring error. If you install your new system following approved wiring practices you should be fine.

Paul

A set of solar panels & charge controller are in the works for us after haul out and I don't want to make the same mistake. Eg... Two sailing friends at the marina have installed panels etc. on their boats this year and appears that when ever the charge controller is " ON ", it totally chokes off their VHF radios and incl. any VHF radio ( yes ! even the masthead ) within close vicinity of their boats. Even the hand held is dead until one walks away from the boat. Their eqpt. has the CE label on it but not FCC or UL etc. and appears from poking around websites, that this is a common problem with some charge controllers yet that is not mentioned at point of purchase.

Has any one experienced such problem ? and what is the solution / brand recommendation ... ? Tx. in advance ......... FB

You say two boats? Same marina? Wonder if the same person installed both systems? :confused:

Find out what they bought, same controller for each?? Don,t buy those controllers. Most boats have no problems such as you describe.
Either it,s a poor installation or it,s a poor controller.

Find out what they bought, same controller for each?? Don,t buy those controllers. Most boats have no problems such as you describe.
Either it,s a poor installation or it,s a poor controller.

They are both the same make. I don't think it's an installation issue, there was a harness provided so there is nothing to go wrong. Of note: one guy is a chemical engineer and the other is a electrical techie type as well so that thought seems redundant. I too had solar panels on my previous sail boat with no issues. This is RFI, plain and simple ! The mfg. told them to shield this thing ... LOL ( very minor reduction only ) but that is BS ! as this product should not be sold if it produces RFI or the CE compliance label on the equipment was bogus as is the case with a lot of Chinese products.

It is not uncommon for electrical or electronic devices to produce electrical interference with other electronic devices. I installed some LED lights that interfered with certain TV channels. My chart plotter interferes with one channel on my VHF.

I've seen battery chargers interfere with AM/FM radios. I have a bass guitar amplifier that interferes with wireless microphones and wireless guitar systems (but it's a great amplifier).

Have these people contacted the manufacturer of their equipment for help?

I suggest either buying another brand or buying a system with installation from a reputable dealer. If you do that, you will have someone to complain to and someone responsible for dealing with any problems.

I have a Ham shack with four VHF radio's, a scanner, a HF radio, a TV and a stereo system in my man cave and two Morningstar 30 Amp charge controller as well as an 1800 Watt inverter. They are all within 10 feet of each other and I have zero interference from anything. No birdies, no static, nothing.

Make certain the coax shield is properly connected.

Had me worried ther for a min
Just completed install 780 watts Kyocera and Morningstar mppt 60 controller
Running now @ 485 watts local time 4:30pm
Radio check ok no problems
The wire harness the sent was 2 pair but as I was stripping noticed it was twisted pair not the normal 2 conductor wiring.
Don't know if that makes a difference or not but no problems here.

Last edited:
My advice. Do not cut costs on your solar controller. A cheap one will cook your batteries. Been there, done that.

Hope I have no issues, 9 x 250w Jinko's through a MidNite classic 150 mppt going up next week sometime.

As other have said, just stick with a reputable brand controller, and if in doubt, ask for the FCC ID number. It's illegal to sell an electronics product in the US without FCC class A or B certification, and the cert number on the product. But of course that doesn't stop many people from doing it anyway. LED lights are a good example.

I got what I consider a rather inexpensive charge controller brand of Sainsonic through Amazon. I bought this particular one because it does dual banks which works best for the way I have my batteries wired. I've had no problem at all with the controller affecting radios, etc. It actually has a setting to change the internal frequency in case it does affect other electronics, but I never had to change it.

Ken

Hope I have no issues, 9 x 250w Jinko's through a MidNite classic 150 mppt going up next week sometime.

And they are up.
Tomorrow leccy comes back to connect

14095908_10207199829579908_1596436698209295886_n.jpg

Wow! that is is a nice setup. How big are your battery banks?

That is a thing of beauty! I like that you can walk between the panels. It'll be interesting to see how they lay and protect the wiring, but I bet you already know.

I recently installed 4 120W panels, used a Midnite Solar "Kid" controller. I have the noise in the VHF radios, one worse than the other, and to the extent that I can't squelch it when the panels are at any more than about 30% output. VERY annoying. I turn the controller off while underway so I can use the VHF's. Also annoying. I also wanted to use high quality gear, the Midnite Solar has a good reputation. Evidently this problem is known, I had sent the controller back in warranty for another problem and asked about the RFI. They apologized about the noise, and suggested I install ferrite cores, which I did with no appreciable change.

My understanding is that because a solar controller is rated as an electrical control device, not a radio device, it is not required to meet FCC part 15. I'm fuzzy on how the regulations apply here, but regardless, it is noisy. The noise is coming from the controller, the electronic switching part of the MPPT circuitry is what creates the noise. If the controller were rated as a marine electronic device, it would be required to not create RFI, but that drives up the cost of the equipment. It's already over $300.

I've not received any further offers of a solution from the manufacturer, I have sent another note that refers to this thread and the fact that others are having this problem. They do sell a "marine" version, AFAIK, the only difference is that the marine version is white, has a trunion mount, and has a battery temperature sesnsor.

At this point I can't recommend the "Kid" controller. Although it appears to be well built and the function/features are excellent, for me the RFI is a deal breaker. Perhaps I'll hear more from Midnite, we'll see. It seems to me that if they intend to market their product for a marine application, it should be compatible with other electronics, FCC part 15 notwithstanding.

Last edited:
I recently installed 4 120W panels, used a Midnite Solar "Kid" controller. I have the noise in the VHF radios, one worse than the other, and to the extent that I can't squelch it when the panels are at any more than about 30% output. VERY annoying. I turn the controller off while underway so I can use the VHF's. Also annoying. I also wanted to use high quality gear, the Midnite Solar has a good reputation. Evidently this problem is known, I had sent the controller back in warranty for another problem and asked about the RFI. They apologized about the noise, and suggested I install ferrite cores, which I did with no appreciable change.

My understanding is that because a solar controller is rated as an electrical control device, not a radio device, it is not required to meet FCC part 15. I'm fuzzy on how the regulations apply here, but regardless, it is noisy. The noise is coming from the controller, the electronic switching part of the MPPT circuitry is what creates the noise. If the controller were rated as a marine electronic device, it would be required to not create RFI, but that drives up the cost of the equipment. It's already over $300.

I've not received any further offers of a solution from the manufacturer, I have sent another note that refers to this thread and the fact that others are having this problem. They do sell a "marine" version, AFAIK, the only difference is that the marine version is white, has a trunion mount, and has a battery temperature sesnsor.

At this point I can't recommend the "Kid" controller. Although it appears to be well built and the function/features are excellent, for me the RFI is a deal breaker. Perhaps I'll hear more from Midnite, we'll see. It seems to me that if they intend to market their product for a marine application, it should be compatible with other electronics, FCC part 15 notwithstanding.

Well written and informative post, thank you ................. FB

My understanding is that because a solar controller is rated as an electrical control device, not a radio device, it is not required to meet FCC part 15. I'm fuzzy on how the regulations apply here, but regardless, it is noisy.

That's interesting. I know every electronics product I have ever built required FCC testing and certification. But maybe that's because they were all computer related products?

I have approximately 6,000 watts of Sun Power panels and 2 each Outback controllers - 60 Amps each at 48v nominal. System was installed fall 2008 and has been working since with no issues. Battery is LiFePo 1,000 AH 48 volts.

I highly recommend Outback controllers along with their inverters.

"Sunshine" has not been plugged in to shore power for years.

I have an 85W solar panel , LUCY has not been plugged in for a decade.

No shore power line , or inlet or requirement.Or noisemaker.

KISS

And they are up.
Tomorrow leccy comes back to connect

14095908_10207199829579908_1596436698209295886_n.jpg

Update
Wired a week ago and disconnected from shore power to see what happened. Had 5 people on board in the afternoon partying til 2am, plenty of lights fridge and icemaker usage, TV and mini PC running in background to use power, stereo running and hot showers for all.
Sat. Morning 7am batts at 67.8% by 2pm at 100%. 6pm 99.5%
Sun 7am with 2 onboard and usual load 79.3%. 9am 81.5% and by lunchtime 100%
Running 2 door 500l fridge freezer icemaker + additional bar fridge + 140l 240v hot water system :thumb:. Lights,TV, pumps etc.

Been doing pretty much the same for a week now appart from a few days where we had rain, but still never hit the 50% charge floor.
Looking like a win

WOW!! Those are impressive numbers. Solar only - no genset or engine run time, right?

Congrats on a well designed and installed system!

Correct, solar only.
We have since thrown a bar fridge style freezer into the mix running full time and have used the household front loading washing machine a few times on sunny days, no genset, all inverter.

We did have an issue when we had a few rainy days and a diode in the genset died but we were still getting some solar in but were forced to turn off the bar fridge for a few days until we got the genset repaired.
Lowest the batts saw was 50.3%.

All good again and back living the dream.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom