Replacing blowers on 1980 44 MY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tobyyost

Veteran Member
Hi All. Was wondering if someone can give me some advice on how to access the engine room blowers on a 1980 44 foot MY. I thought I could just take the vent cover off the outside of the boat but the screws must have nuts on the other end as they do not come out when you turn them. From the inside the area is surrounded with plywood and from the engine compartment there is no way to reach up high enough. Seems like I need to cut a hole in the plywood panel or see if I can remove it. Seems crazy to have to remove that panel or cut it so wanted to check here in case I am missing something. Any help is appreciated

Thanks.

My panels remove with about 6 screws.

Thank you

My panels remove with about 6 screws.

Thank you again. I crawled down in there and See the screws and was able to remove it easily. Thanks.

I'm gonna replace the squirrel cage blowers with inline ones as the cost to replace these is kind of crazy compared to the inline blowers

Let me know how it works out. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

pic of new blowers

I tried to attach a PiC, let's see what happens. I got a 4 inch to 3 inch adapter from lowes and I attached that to the existing hole and toe nailed some screws through it, then sealed it with silicon. I then mounted the inline blower just below the hole and was able to use a piece of the existing hose to go from the blower to the outlet.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 117
I use bilge blowers for various venting because they're cheap and with a reostat, you can control the speed. Most will fit 3" or 4" plastic or ss pipe if you don't want to use hose.

Thank you again. I crawled down in there and See the screws and was able to remove it easily. Thanks.

I'm gonna replace the squirrel cage blowers with inline ones as the cost to replace these is kind of crazy compared to the inline blowers

I need to do the same except I will replace the inline ( in duct ) blowers with the squirrel cage type, the are much much quieter. I think that the inline blowers are very noisy for the little air that they handle and draw a lot of Amps. I would prefer to have the blowers running on a Stat for a time after the engines are stopped to cool down the engine room and without the noise or howl as is typical of inline blowers.

Just my 0.02 .... FB

Do those move enough air?

I have these blowers on each side, but easy to get too. In the summer I will run them to help cool down the ER.

Attachments

• IMG_3672.jpg
    IMG_3672.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 91
Actually my experience with the squirrel cage blower (which is minimal) is the opposite, mine were extremely loud compared to the inline ones (which I barely hear now) that I put in and the inline ones seem to move more air. Anybody have a CFM rating on the squirrel cage blowers and I can compare that to the inline ones that I put in?

Actually my experience with the squirrel cage blower (which is minimal) is the opposite, mine were extremely loud compared to the inline ones (which I barely hear now) that I put in and the inline ones seem to move more air. Anybody have a CFM rating on the squirrel cage blowers and I can compare that to the inline ones that I put in?

I do agree they are loud.....

I do agree they are loud.....

That's strange ... as a electrical contractor I see them used in space heating applications ( big or small ) all the time. I'm just going by my own exp. that they handle more air / rpm and they are quiet (er) It also helps if there is a speed control. Just say'n FB

Back
Top Bottom