Dumpster diving find...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Found this JABSCO toilet pump in the club dumpster and took it apart. Found the impellor vanes all torn off from piscrete. I'm guessin' it hadn't been run in a while. Dissassembled the motor, cleaned up the armature and re-assembled it. Ran just fine. I'll put it all together with my store of spare parts and carry it on board as a spare.

Attachments

• P7290001.jpg
    P7290001.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 96
  • P7290002.jpg
    P7290002.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 96
I would take up lots of posts if I described everything I got via dumpster diving lol
Good on ya bud!!

Lucky guy! I just bought one of these and it cost me 300$ here in Canada. The one on my newly owned boat was like 20 years old and the motor but also the schredding blade were totally rotten. I wish I had these kind of dumpster here!

When I read the title of this thread I kind of thought I may have been responsible for it. I put a stainless gas grill, in perfect working condition, and a small folding table out by the dumpster in the marina next door. They were both gone within an hour. They came with the boat when we bought it 3 years ago, I only used the grill once and didn't like it and the table not at all. I got tired of hauling them around and I was "unjunking" the boat. I threw away a lot of stuff.

I hate having useless crap on board. I hope it made someone's day.

At the marina I frequent in Ct boat owners that have something they think someone might use, simply lay it next to the dumpster.

The sad part is when you find something that would be useful, but is the wrong size.

For a month I looked with "lust in my heart" at a prop cage , but for a smaller prop diameter than mine.

My favorite find to date is an ICOM M-127. The internal speaker was shot. I connected an external speaker to the radio and it works perfect.

Our Marina has a "free table" in the dock/club house. Everyone passes along stuff there. When we bought this boat, we loaded it up three times!

Our club also has a "free table" for stuff that can be re-used. My bet, is this pump got put in the dumpster by a professional, and I use that word loosely, installer, who did not want anyone make use of it. I was puttin' trash in the dumpster and noticed the red and black wires, got a boat hook and uncovered the pump. It amazes me that so many people pay for new when the existin' unit can be fixed for peanuts.

A fellow from "I" dock left 8 or 10 cans of premium Canadian beer at the "J" dock gate just as I walked up. It was still cold! That didn't last long! Thanked him and moved it out to the boat.

Must've felt sorry for us on J dock!

A fellow from "I" dock left 8 or 10 cans of premium Canadian beer at the "J" dock gate just as I walked up. It was still cold! That didn't last long! Thanked him and moved it out to the boat.

Must've felt sorry for us on J dock!
Yeah, right.
When the guy got back from his car with the gate key he wondered who scored his beer so quick.

My previous marina had a giveaway table as well.

We also had a community ice chest on our dock. As the summer would go on, the crappy beer would remain in the cooler and the number of cans of said beer grew. By the end of the season, we had a full cooler of crappy beer....which ended up going on the giveaway table.

Nope, the giver was right there, I asked him if he would like to come down to the boat and help me empty a can or two, but he went back to "I" dock to unload more stuff from the boat.

Still got some left, drop by some time!

Good find!!

But Marina dumpster diving is a hard habit to break. I have accumulated to much stuff and I'm on the "12-step-program" now myself.:eek:

My favorites were a new single trumpet stainless boat horn and a new looking Shakespeare marine loud hailer speaker horn. Both had the same problem and discarded by their owner. "Cold solder joints" which were easily fixed with a soldering iron.

Not to mention all the crab pots, lines and corks the Fish and Wildlife officers pickup and throw in our dumpster. Got so bad that the Port asked the officers to just set it along side the dumpsters, so people wouldn't crawl inside to retrieve the items. They were afraid someone might get hurt!:facepalm:

Last edited:
My best to use find was the transom of thick 1 1/2 GRP that someone had carved from ther fish boat.

Took almost no effort to use it as a bow roller , windlass and chain stopper platform.

Thought it looks so nice I did not repaint it , so the donor boats name still exists.

Anchoring is not a requirement on USN a Utility Boat.

Last edited:
40 inch edson s/s destroyer wheel for me, unblemished.

Wish I could find it - article my son sent me from a writer for one of the sail cruise mags - about half through his second circumnavigation - listing all of the gear on his 40 footer recycled from marina dumpsters & junk piles. An amazing array of serviceable gear. Electronics, pumps, winches, lines, .....

We have several trophy boat guys in my marina - love that they religiously junk dock lines each season - you know, green places in spots. Also, scrap starboard - just grabbed a 2 X 6 " scrap"

in the dumpster - fresh cut. Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom