Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchors and Anchoring (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s42/)
-   -   Soft Shackle (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s42/soft-shackle-27370.html)

FredB 07-27-2016 05:07 PM

Soft Shackle

Does anyone use a soft shackle to secure their anchor snubber to the chain? I have an enclosed pulpit and any hardware could bind when passing thru. What do you all think?

caltexflanc 07-27-2016 06:59 PM

It would work fine, a does a simple rolling hitch, but I don't like the idea of the snubber running down through the pulpit and roller. Not sure exactly what you mean by "enclosed" pulpit though. For me, with the roller/chute surrounded by the pulpit proper, I had no issue putting the chain plate on with a reach around or reach through the chute for that matter; it was big enough to accommodate my hand and arm.

dhays 07-27-2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredB (Post 464255)
Does anyone use a soft shackle to secure their anchor snubber to the chain? I have an enclosed pulpit and any hardware could bind when passing thru. What do you all think?

That is what I am doing now. Initially I was just using a hitch to attach my bridle to my anchor chain but it occasionally would slip a little making me have less confidence in it. Currently I am using a dynema "shockles line grabber" around the anchor chain and attaching my bridle to it using a soft shackle. The soft shackles I made but the shockles line grabber I bought from defender. On my chain I actually wrap it around the chain twice.

For the bridle I use two 25' lengths of nylon three strand. On one end I have spliced a nylon thimble and the other just a 12" loop. Both thimbles are attached to the line grabber on the chain with a dynema shackle.

I also have a snubber with a chain hook. My procedure is before I set my anchor I attach the snubber so it and the cleat take the load. Once the anchor is set I attach the bridle above to the chain and let out the chain so the bridle takes the load. I can adjust how much bridle is out by adjusting each of the nylon lines through the hawse holes. I then reattach the snubber so that if the bridle should fail, the snubber would take the load rather than the windlass. It now is very quick for me to do this after only a short time using this system.

twistedtree 07-28-2016 12:20 AM

I use a soft shackle. I just run it through one link of chain and through the spliced eye on the end of a line. Cleat the bitter end of the line on deck and let the anchor chain out until the line is taking the weight. Works great, and you don't have to deal with a chain hook that falls off.

dhays 07-28-2016 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedtree (Post 464342)
I use a soft shackle. I just run it through one link of chain and through the spliced eye on the end of a line. Cleat the bitter end of the line on deck and let the anchor chain out until the line is taking the weight. Works great, and you don't have to deal with a chain hook that falls off.

Do you notice any chafing of the shackle? That was my concern when I considered doing what you describe. Maybe I will give that a try, it would save me one step.

GFC 07-28-2016 10:27 AM

OK, I'll be the guinea pig here....what is a soft shackle?

MurrayM 07-28-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFC (Post 464399)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22so...LKSwjwTKobLQAw

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...mall--12501904

dhays 07-28-2016 11:00 AM

Soft Shackle

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFC (Post 464399)

Here is how I make mine, but there are other techniques. I will usually sit down and make several at a time and always have a few at hand. They were much more useful on the sailboat obviously, but I have found uses on "Kinship" as well.

Edit: forgot to post the link. http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_9.php

twistedtree 07-29-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhays (Post 464345)
Do you notice any chafing of the shackle? That was my concern when I considered doing what you describe. Maybe I will give that a try, it would save me one step.

That was my concern as well, but others I know who use them report excellent results. I've honestly only used mine a couple of times, so it's too early to report on wear. We have a chain lock built into the boat and most times I use that, reverting to a snubber only when there is more weather. The weight of the chain is a pretty darn good snubber unless it's really blowing, and even then the primary benefit of the snubber is to keep the chain from moving in the roller and making a lot of noise.

dhays 07-29-2016 11:28 AM

Soft Shackle

1 Attachment(s)
I tried to use the shakle through a chain link last night when anchoring. It would have worked but would have taken a bit of work to feed the shackle through the link. Using the shockles line grabber was actually easier.

I really wish I had a chain lock on the boat. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out a good place to install one. Attachment 54661

With my windlass, the chain is pretty high off the surface of the pulpit and the roller pivots. You can see that I have a chain hook and snubber line that is holding the chain. This is simply a backup right now as my bridle is taking the load. I use that snubber with the anchor is up to take the weight of the anchor off the windlass. A chain lock would allow me to get rid off the snubber.

twistedtree 07-29-2016 11:29 AM

I bought mine from ropes.com in Florida. They make them to order in whatever size you want, and will advise on what's best. Cost for mine was about $35, and suitable for 1/2" chain and a 130,000lb boat.

That said, they look pretty easy to make and I will probably try that next time.

Ka_sea_ta 07-29-2016 11:42 AM

I have a question, what is the advantage of a soft shackle over a chain hook? I'm assuming an all chain rode.

Hawgwash 07-29-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedtree;
We have a chain lock built into the boat and most times I use that, reverting to a snubber only when there is more weather. The weight of the chain is a pretty darn good snubber unless it's really blowing, and even then the primary benefit of the snubber is to keep the chain from moving in the roller and making a lot of noise.

Can you elaborate on that for me please. How is a lock different from a chain hook and how does your lock replace a snubber. I guess pics would really work for an old brain.

Thanks.

twistedtree 07-29-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta (Post 464744)
I have a question, what is the advantage of a soft shackle over a chain hook? I'm assuming an all chain rode.

The soft shackle doesn't fall off. That was the big advantage for me. All the chain hooks I have used require that you maintain tension on the line or the hook can fall away form the chain and become disconnected. Some hooks might fall off if the conditions are right, and some instantly fall off with any slack on the line. The soft shackle won't come off.

Also, you can run the soft shackle over a roller with ease. Some hooks just go clunk clunk over a roller, and other you wouldn't even want to try running it over.

In my experience so far, which admittedly is limited, is that the soft shackle is superior in every way, including cost. Made-for-purpose chain hooks can get very pricey.

dhays 07-29-2016 03:03 PM

They also won't chip your gelcoat when dropped on the deck, won't wear down the galvanizing and don't weaken the chain.

twistedtree 07-29-2016 03:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawgwash (Post 464767)
Can you elaborate on that for me please. How is a lock different from a chain hook and how does your lock replace a snubber. I guess pics would really work for an old brain.

Thanks.

These pictures might help. The first is the windlass and you can see the chain lock just forward where the chain runs through it.

Next is a close up (sort of) of the chain lock. The hinged thingy has a tab on the end that locks down in between two of the chain links and takes all the chain load off the windlass. We have that short section of shock cord on it to hold the catch out of the way when raising and lowering the anchor.

dhays 07-29-2016 03:22 PM

Your picture shows how a chain lock could be added to my boat. I see that yours is on a stainless riser to get it up to the chain height.

GFC 07-29-2016 03:32 PM

Make that TWO old brains. There's something I'm missing here.

Sign me....old brain GFC

twistedtree 07-29-2016 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhays (Post 464792)
Your picture shows how a chain lock could be added to my boat. I see that yours is on a stainless riser to get it up to the chain height.

Yes, but I don't know if that riser was fabricated by the yard or if that's something that comes with the lock. I'm pretty sure the lock is made by Maxwell who are also the windlass manufacturer.

Looking at your boat pictures, an appropriately fabricated mounting bracket would probably do the trick.

The other style chain lock that I've seen is a chain hook on one end and either a turn buckle or cam lock (like on a binder for holding down heavy equipment for transport) to snug it up. These often double as a lock-down for the anchor which is handy. But my chain lock can't do that.

caltexflanc 07-29-2016 05:25 PM

You keep tension on the hook by having a big lazy loop of chain out behind it, which has the added benefit of adding weight to the "system". In hundreds of nights on the hook in all sorts of conditions, never had our chain plate-type hook fall off. Never had a rolling hitch slip either, including in some sustained multi-day 20+ winds.

Have to admit some of these schemes described above look way too complicated. And some sound like the snubber line runs through the pulpit, introducing chafe potential.