Taking pets to BC and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mramoo

What if any are the problems cruising back and forth to BC from Washington with pets? We have a cat and a dog, both have all their shots and Vet paperwork.

Be careful. While I applaud Canada's policy with respect to US pets, there was a quirk which can be a problem. In 2008 I was told that the a US citizen was only allowed to bring a pet into Canada under the informal method once in every 30 days. This stopped us from going through the Welland and then back to the US and then back to Canada for the St. Lawrence. Frankly don't know if this would have been enforced but we decided not to try it. We took the Western Erie Canal instead.

The more formal procedure to bring a pet in appeared for us to not be worth the hassle.

We have had no issues. Canada Border Services Agency has always been exceptionally professional.

We cross regularly and have no issues going either way. Both by car and boat. Just bring the vet paperwork and you're good to go

We go back and forth all the time (even just for a dog walk on the beach).
We regularly get asked 2 questions going into the US.
Do you have the vaccination paperwork and what food do you have?
Lamb and Goat based food is a big no-no going both ways!
All food including treats MUST be in the original commercial packaging and can't contain anything on the current "hit" list, and they ask to see it all time.
The one thing that will stop you is young pets that have not had the full set of shots. I think we had to wait 4-5 Months to take him across.

Like others have said as long as you have the correct paperwork you should be GTG...we have made several crossings with our dogs via rruck/trailer and it has been very easy every time.

Ch

Don`t do what Johnny Depp and his then lady did recently, smuggle two little terriers named Boo and Pistol into Australia on a private aircraft, without declaring their presence to Customs. The dogs were flown back to USA on a special flight, presumably at great expense, to avoid them being "dealt with" here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom