Self Contained Marine AC Unit 115 V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
Looking to replace one of my 12000 btu self contained AC units.
The one I have is a Marine Air Systems unit. Since I will be replacing it I was wondering what brand others may recommend as being a good quality unit. I have no beef with the Marine Air brand. The coil is 14 years old and the fins are starting to break off..

Looks like you have space on the cabin top .

A 14x14 hatch with a RV unit has many advantages .

Important is most are built to soft start and do OK with low marina voltage.

$500-$600 done.

Although for a boat buck there are "marine" style units.

Your timing is interesting, as I've been thinking about the two AC units on our NT. It is also a 2002 with marineaire units. Our problem is the drip pans are rusting out and, given the age of the units, I'm thinking with the work to remove and repair, we ought to just think about replacement. We installed a Webasto on our last boat and it seems to be working fine for the current owner (that choice was primarily driven by price). I've heard good things about Flagship Marine (and made in USA is a bonus). I think the key will come down to what will fit without doing any modifications. We have one unit under the starboard helm seat in the pilot house, and the second under a large locker by the stairs to the forward berth.

Rust is our issue as well. Gets all over the hull below the tray drain. There were some units in the past that used plastic pans, but I have not yet found them. Enjoy your tug.

Looks like you have space on the cabin top .

A 14x14 hatch with a RV unit has many advantages .

Important is most are built to soft start and do OK with low marina voltage.

$500-$600 done.

Although for a boat buck there are "marine" style units.

I liked that option for our boat but hubby doesn't want to lose the hatch up to the flybridge.

"I liked that option for our boat but hubby doesn't want to lose the hatch up to the flybridge."

A std RV hatch is under $20, and only a hole to chop.

I replaced my units with Webasto 12K btu units. They have stainless steel powder coated pans, rotary compressors, and are very compact compared to the ones I replaced. Happy so far.

Ted

I replaced my units with Webasto 12K btu units. They have stainless steel powder coated pans, rotary compressors, and are very compact compared to the ones I replaced. Happy so far.

Ted

I have been looking at that unit.
How long have you had it?
Is it quite both on start up and while running?
The comments on that unit say that it does not have three fan speeds as advertised. Is this really the case?
Thanks for sharing.

The comments on that unit say that it does not have three fan speeds as advertised. Is this really the case?
Thanks for sharing.

Well this is embarassing, I'll have to verify the 3 fan speeds. I tend to set it and leave the fan on the same speed for AC units. I will check and get back to you.

I bought mine (3 units) 2 years ago during my refit project, but only started using them this January for heating and cooling.

As part of the installation, I isolation mounted them each on an aluminum plate which has vibration mounts to allow the unit to float and not transfer vibration to the mounting surface. This works quite well. The duct runs are quite short, so some noise travels through the duct. Longer runs with a few sweep bends tends to reduce noise travel. My units run fan on whether the compressor is running or not to keep the area at an equal temperature. Don't think the fan noise is any different than the previous units. They're definitely noisier than central air conditioning in a house, but quieter than a window AC unit. As for the compressor, if I listen for it, I can hear it start and run. It's much quieter than the old units. As with most motor driven devices, there was a short wear in period during which they become quieter. Now, if I want to check to see if the compressor is running, I need to put my hand over the discharge vent.

Have 2 minor problems with the units. The thermostats think in degrees Celsius even though you can set the display for Fahrenheit. The on off differential can be up to 2 degrees from set point. The units measure return air temperature not where the thermostat control is. So, I've had temperature swings of 6 degrees on start up, usually it's more like 4 and once the unit has been on for an hour the differential is more like 3 degrees F or less. typically I leave the units on 80 when I'm away and set them down to 74 when I arrive. They may cycle between 76 and 71 before settling into a 75 and 73 or 72 swing pattern. Unlike other boat AC units I've had, the differential can't be changed and it thinks in Celsius which is a greater spread.

The other minor problem was a bad run capacitor on one unit. Not a big deal for me to swap out and normal electrical failure component, that may happen. I've had them fail on other AC and electrical motor equipment.

One of the big surprises for me was how well the units work in reverse cycle heat mode. Before leaving in January to head south, I was heating the boat very nicely until the water temperature got down to about 36 degrees. Below that the output dropped off to very little. Above 40 degree water temperature, the heat was amazing! It really pumps out the cold air during the summer also!

Will check on the fan speed and post what I find.

Ted

Last edited:
To use cold water you could probably hook up a head pressure controlled water flow valve but it may void the mfg warrenty and not work well because of the low head pump sending the water into the heatx

4-6 degree swing is "normal". To lessen "short cycling"

Many HVAC fan and blower motors are 3 speed, but may be used for two if the mfg wants lower air flow for the the heat cycle check wiring diagram for fan speed slection

Last edited:
I put Mermaid units in my build 9yrs ago. A 6.5 and a 12. Both have been solid, no issues. They use a house type thermostat so you can get as fancy with that as you want. Only complaint is contactor makes a hearty bang when cycling on, but that is a minor gripe. Stainless pans, no rust yet. No computer boards or controllers to fry, at least I don't think so.

OC, capacitors don't seem to last like the old ones that are no more because of PCBs

I put Mermaid units in my build 9yrs ago. A 6.5 and a 12. Both have been solid, no issues. They use a house type thermostat so you can get as fancy with that as you want.

Mine has been in the boat for 25 years...Other than a squirrel cage blower replacement it still works fine.. Stainless pan, No rust.

Many TF members speak highly of these guys (oceanbreeze)... Probably the direction I'll go when replacement time rolls around:

http://www.oceanbreezeac.com/selfcontained.php

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

The fan is 3 speed. A little louder on high, but not that much.

Ted

Mine has been in the boat for 25 years...Other than a squirrel cage blower replacement it still works fine.. Stainless pan, No rust.

Many TF members speak highly of these guys (oceanbreeze)... Probably the direction I'll go when replacement time rolls around:

http://www.oceanbreezeac.com/selfcontained.php

Stainless Steel pans are much preferred.

Back
Top Bottom