wooden trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbe

Veteran Member
ok folks i am looking a wooden trawler exc. cond. supposed restored about 5yrs ago 38ft 14 wide single lehman diesel said the hull is not planked built deer island name built in michagan 1976 model the question is should i or shouldnt i says done the loop been to the islands and so on jsut wondering about a wooden boat pictures look exc. has a good history thanks sam

Last edited:
Man I love woodies! Pictures?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468194594.506483.jpg

i really do thank everyone on their thoughts in advance sam

That's the shiznits, make sure you get a survey. Not a lot of space around that engine

ok im just deciding weather if i should go this route thanks for the input what do you mean shitznitz

and aslo the only reason i am considering cause he is saying exc. cond.

I like it, clean looking lot of space for a smaller trawler. 15 k not bad, if you don't like it you could sell it and probably break even

Haulout and a survey will cost perhaps say $900-$1,500 range for that boat. Are you prepared to walk away from it after spending that kind of money?

Btw that's in addition to the purchase price you negotiate with the seller.

Having spent my life in the industry, I worry about a deal that looks too good to be true. That is a rather low price. But the boat looks good in these pictures. Be sure to get a good survey from a surveyor who knows wood boats. Any idea how many hours are on that Perkins? It is an old engine and if it has to be replaced, that is a big expense.

Gut feeling here,
Appears to be an odd design. A bit tall but appearing to be in good shape. I've seen other boats this tall but not very many. The pics are'nt great so may have a good responsible CG and hull design. But much more likely not than the average boat. I'd be wanting to learn about the design and the designer's reputation. Other boats designed by him and their reputation.

The two big if's .... Design and hull condition.

Craig's survey numbers could be high. Depends on who and where.

ok thanks for all the input think i will stay away from this one if anyone interested feel free to call

Hull not planked? Plywood? Strip built? Is it in fresh water now or spent most of its life in fresh? Could be an issue if so. I agree its a neat looking boat.

I would check her out well along with a surveyor. If it's meant to be you will know it.;)

I would pay for a walk through inspection first. It looks OK in pictures and seems pretty squared away but a quick look by a trained eye could save you the expense of a full blown inspection if it has serious warts. Hard to go wrong at that price point if it is decent. Find out if it is currently insured. Could spoil your plans if you cannot at least buy liability coverage.

ok maybe will look at it when i get back in the end of week also the owner said that it was built for a retired admiral also he has all the plans for it and blue prints templates for windows and so on thanks sam

For that price I'd sure look.

78 looks like it's plywood. And if she's sound I'd consider that a plus .. unless some fool has fiberglassed it.

Just a suggestion...Any use of capitalization and punctuation would greatly improve the readability of these posts, newbe. Maybe it's just me, but my old eyes have to read each of your posts twice to get to the true meaning. Thanks! ;)

going to look at the boat this saturday i told the wife i was going to be her captain and she was going to be my beautiful sea hag

Reminds me of the time we just got to Sitka on my dads tugboat, and my mom was walking up the ramp carrying a sea bag. And my old dad never one to miss an opportunity to annoy my mom, yells out loudly enough for all to hear, "well, here comes a sea bag with a sea bag!". Ma was not nearly as amused as us kids were!

You guys are throwing the bombs today!

I hope your visit goes well:)

No kidding about the bombs. Good luck.

we love stories and jokes , life is to short to have it any other way

Find out if the boat can be insured, what is required and the cost. Also if there are skilled workers yard. Some yards will not pull a boat or capable of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom