Hot water tank leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
We have a seward 6 gal sst hot water tank . It's only hooked up to 110 volt using shore power and generator to heat water . It's not hooked up to the engine but the ports are there and open with no plugs . I'm getting water leaking from around one of these ports but not out of the center of the port . Do you think the tank has ruptured and this is the easiest way for water to drain out? I'm going to take it out this week and check it out before ordering a new tank but was wondering what you guys thought .

Those heat exchangers are a tube within a tube, to help lessen the chance of getting engine anti freeze in your domestic water, if you ever had corrosion from either side. Sounds like you've corroded the outer tube. Other possibility is that the swage around the tube where it comes out of the tank has developed a leak. Either way it's likely time for a new WH

Ok I'm gettin a new one . I'm still not planning on plumbing it to the engine . What should I do with the ports for the engine? Should I just leave them open or put a short section of hose on each unused port with a plug or just one section of hose and hook up the two unused ports to each other ?

Both of my engines have water connections. Each connection has a valve. One engine is connected to the HW and the valves are open, the other is not connected, so the valves are closed. No difference in performance.

Just a thought but if you don't plan to connect it to your engine, why not to get the same version but with no engine connection? It will be cheaper and as you don't plan to use engine heat it will make no difference for you.

Just a thought but if you don't plan to connect it to your engine, why not to get the same version but with no engine connection? It will be cheaper and as you don't plan to use engine heat it will make no difference for you.
I thought of that but haven't found a marine unit that is set up that way . Do you know of any ?

SAVE your money .

If its just leaking out the engine heat tubing , cap up the tubing.

KISS

SAVE your money .

If its just leaking out the engine heat tubing , cap up the tubing.

KISS
It's leaking around the edge of tube , not out of the center of tube .

"It's leaking around the edge of tube , not out of the center of tube ."

Time for a trip to Home Cheapo for a 6-10 gallon unit what ever fits..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom