Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   Any suggestions for insurance for wooden boats.... (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/any-suggestions-insurance-wooden-boats-26952.html)

swampu 06-30-2016 09:34 PM

Any suggestions for insurance for wooden boats....
 
covered in fiberglass living in Hurricane riddled Northern GOM?
I've called several insurance providers for Port Risk insurance while I rebuild my boat and no one wants to cover The Rose>>>>>> Any help would be appreciated.

CPseudonym 06-30-2016 11:04 PM

I'd send a private message to Peter (PauHana) and get the straight poop from him as I believe he's a marine insurance underwriter.

Bob Cofer 07-01-2016 12:21 AM

I have a Markel policy through Peter. 1972 wooden GB.

Pau Hana 07-01-2016 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampu (Post 456658)
covered in fiberglass living in Hurricane riddled Northern GOM?
I've called several insurance providers for Port Risk insurance while I rebuild my boat and no one wants to cover The Rose>>>>>> Any help would be appreciated.

Questions-

1) Is the boat cold molded?

2) Is the construction methodology (fiberglass over wood) original to the vessel or was the fiberglass added later by a party other than the manufacturer?

2) Who is the manufacturer of the vessel?

swampu 07-01-2016 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pau Hana (Post 456699)
Questions-

1) Is the boat cold molded?

2) Is the construction methodology (fiberglass over wood) original to the vessel or was the fiberglass added later by a party other than the manufacturer?

2) Who is the manufacturer of the vessel?

Good Morning,
Originally the boat was cypress plank, it was built in 1953 at the Cavasovich boat yard here in Biloxi Ms. The boat was c-flexed in the 70's also in biloxi at Kramer Marine. Thanks Paul

Pau Hana 07-01-2016 07:46 AM

Hi, Paul- none of the domestic markets I know of will offer coverage for a vessel that has had 'glass refit over an existing wood hull.

Some domestic markets may consider offering coverage if there is detailed documentation that the vessel has undergone significant structural refit, including extended time on the hard so the vessel planking and structure has the opportunity to completely dry prior to application of the 'glass.

swampu 07-01-2016 08:16 AM

That sounds like I'm up the creek without a paddle

Pau Hana 07-01-2016 08:19 AM

Lloyds should have coverage options for you.

Ski in NC 07-01-2016 10:25 AM

Ask around the shrimp boat fleet you have in the area. Many of their hulls are going to be woodies, some c-flexed. I suspect you will find the majority of those running around without insurance, or maybe just liability.

bgillroy 07-01-2016 10:58 AM

hagerty will likely bind coverage

BandB 07-01-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pau Hana (Post 456757)
Lloyds should have coverage options for you.

When all else fails....Lloyds.

SD_Pappy 07-01-2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampu (Post 456755)
That sounds like I'm up the creek without a paddle

Nah, I have a woody built in 1955 by Blanchard for the US Navy, it is also covered by Markel, so all is not lost

BruceK 07-02-2016 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampu (Post 456755)
That sounds like I'm up the creek without a paddle

In Aust. we add to that "in a barbed wire canoe".
Sounds like you have some chances of cover after all. Something is better than nothing, especially for liability.

swampu 07-02-2016 08:16 AM

Roger that,

BandB 07-02-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceK (Post 457001)
In Aust. we add to that "in a barbed wire canoe".
Sounds like you have some chances of cover after all. Something is better than nothing, especially for liability.

Well, where I grew up the creek was named....it was up s... creek without a paddle.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012