Snacks For Evening Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Please help !!!!! Have a group going out for evening cruise and need ideas for smacks and eats. Seems like every time we go out we have the same old stuff.
Please help with your best likes on the boat. :dance: :dance:

Jalapeño peach marmalade(blended with creme cheese) or red pepper hummus are not the boring old normal choices. Peppered salami, havarti cheese and flat pretzels are a few other non standards we enjoy.

Last edited:
Greeings,
Mr. k. A plethora of choices but I don't want to suggest "the same old stuff". So...What is YOUR "same old stuff"?

Chicken wings. Pizza bites. Even sliders. Vegetables on a vegetable tray. Perhaps even a tray of cold cuts with some small croissants to slide them into, some lettuce, tomatoes. Fruit. Berries. Tray of cheese and crackers for those who like cheese. I don't eat it.

Red wine and orange colored Cheetos. You'll have fun the next day.

My all time favourite snack is king prawns stuffed with a dab of blue cheese, wrapped in prociutto, and grilled on the barbie or a minute or two.
Quick and easy, but soooo good!

Buffalo chicken dip...can chicken flaked...softcream cheese....wing sauce to taste...serve w favorite crackers

Bacon wrapped dates...broil or grill bacon till crispy...for an added treat stuff w blue cheese before wrap & freeze beforebroiling bacon

All time favorite but takes some work...oysters on half shell...1/4-1/2 tsp garlic butter. ..shredded patmesan cheese...hot covered grill till butter boils & cheese melts & slightly browns. ..done...grab a few before they are gone!!!!

Pickled okra and french bread for dipping in oil and spices.

Please help !!!!! Have a group going out for evening cruise and need ideas for smacks and eats. Seems like every time we go out we have the same old stuff.

You appear to be in Louisiana so shrimp, oysters, crawfish, poor boys, soft shell crab, etc. come to mind. As well as a pot of gumbo or a mixed boil.

But if that's you "same old stuff", then mini tacos, lolly pop lamb chops and or lolly pop chicken drumettes.

Home made salsa or crab dip. Fondue can be fun if the waters calm. :D

Of course there is always Jell-O shots.

I like the idea of assorted crackers and veggies then chang the toppings. Some of my favorites are:
Crab dip
Salmon
Tuna ahi
Runny Brie (microwave it)
Different cheese dips

Ted

Crackers stacked with sharp chedar and apple slices are always good and pretty easy to make. If you are going to cook, I'll often make chicken satay with dipping sauce. A friend of ours made strawberries (hulled) soaked in Grand Marnier with whipped cream (she kept them in the fridge in ice trays until ready to serve). Ready made pizza crust with your choice of toppings, cooked on the grill and cut into bite sized pieces. I'll second the earlier suggestion for buffalo chicken dip, but we usually use a cooked chicken from the store. One more that often goes over well is canned or cooked chicken chopped up with mayo, curry powder and chopped grapes - use as a cracker dip.

Make it simple. You are supplying the boat, maybe supply the water, wine, soda, as well and ask your guests to bring the snacks.

This is one of my favorites...pairs perfectly with margaritas:

COWBOY CAVIAR

• [FONT=&quot]15 oz can black bean, rinsed and drained[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]15.8 oz can blackeye peas, rinsed and drained[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]15.2 oz can corn[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]10 oz spicy diced tomatoes, drained (Rotel is great)
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]½ onion, diced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 avocados, diced (should be ripe but not soft)
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]½ cup zesty Italian dressing[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]½ teaspoon garlic salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Salt and pepper, to taste[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 bag tortilla chips[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Instructions[/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Pour all of the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if necessary.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Refrigerate until ready to serve.

[FONT=&quot]If you feel [FONT=&quot]the need to be fancy, buy the "scoops" torti[FONT=&quot]ll[FONT=&quot]a chips and put '[FONT=&quot]em o[FONT=&quot]ut [FONT=&quot]filled on a tray.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
...and stand upwind as the evening progresses. :)

Thanks Peggie, I'll try that one this evening.

Assuming the vessel and conditions are acceptable:
Fondue.

Prep is all of 30 minutes of chopping and cutting and can be done beforehand at home.

Get a collection of veggies, meats, and dipping sauces and spread it out for guests with a pot of boiling broth (or wine, but we don't care for the oil). Our favorites are crusty bread and cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes, yams for veggies. Beef and chicken, but also shrimp, fish, and shucked oysters for meats.

As the evening winds down bring out a chocolate pot (Highly suggest adding Grand Marnier liquor) with strawberries, apples, and angelfood cake.

Big downside is that there is an open flame/heating element, so this is something for dockside parties only!

Update

Home run!!! Cowboy caviar is definitely a keeper. This stuff is awesome.

Yup...And nobody had to stand upwind.

Good taste is the enemy of creativity - Pablo Picasso

Picasso was creative.

Last edited:
Yup...And nobody had to stand upwind.

Good taste is the enemy of creativity - Pablo Picasso

Picasso was creative.

Wifey B: I saw Head Mistress had posted. Knowing her normal proclivities and how her name was earned, I was a bit scared over her posting regarding snack foods...:)

Red wine and orange colored Cheetos. You'll have fun the next day.

Don't forget the Limburger cheese and any dish with lots of beans. Bananas are also a favorite. An advantage to having lots of them is that they taste the same coming up as they do going down. Don't pay any attention to those who are 'afraid' of the mystical power of bananas on boats. It's hogwash!!

The Cowboy Caviar sounds wonderful. I bet the Italian dressing really makes it.

I came up with a quick and easy dip that folks seem to like and it couldn't be easier. Buy a tub of Sabra Garlic Humus and mix in some wing sauce. Buffalo Garlic Humus.

Wifey B: I saw Head Mistress had posted. Knowing her normal proclivities...:)

I don't ever recall anyone accusing me of having strong natural liking for something that is usually bad, or having a tendency to do something that is usually bad before. I try solve problems, not cause them.

My all time favourite snack is king prawns stuffed with a dab of blue cheese, wrapped in prociutto, and grilled on the barbie or a minute or two.
Quick and easy, but soooo good!

I think we have a winner here!:thumb:

I don't ever recall anyone accusing me of having strong natural liking for something that is usually bad, or having a tendency to do something that is usually bad before. I try solve problems, not cause them.

Wifey B: Wasn't claiming bad, just your expertise when it comes to heads and crap and such, sort of the opposite of eating and food, although definitely tied together on a slightly delayed basis. Was just teasing.

I like to serve soda crackers with peanut butter and sardines. They are just fine open face, or can be made into neat little sandwiches!
For a zesty change, substitut whole cuttlefish for the sardines.
I like to offer these to guests who are looking a little green, its a great way to "get things going".

Bacon Wrapped Breadsticks - you'll have to search online for an exact recipe. I prefer using the thin breadsticks not the thick ones. They can be made ahead of time and served room temp.

Let me ponder this while I go grab a snack. I'm now hungry from reading all these great ideas!

Back
Top Bottom