FRP Water Tank Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montenido

Vessel Name
Ansedonia
Vessel Make
Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi folks,

I posted a while ago about possible air bubbles while filling my water tank. Well, it turns out that I have a small leak, maybe less then a gallon/hour, on my FRP water tank. Access to the tank might be tough, but I am open to suggestions on how to find the leak once I do gain access. It is a slow, but steady trickle. Since it is before the water pump, I don't have the pump cycling, which would be a dead giveaway. The bilge pump does cycle at least every couple of hours. :banghead:

Has anyone else found a leak in a FRP tank?

Thanks, Bill

How empty? Would give you an idea of how high to look. You really are going to want to understand what caused the leak. Oil canning and fatigue? Bad bond at a corner? Stress around a fitting? Freezing? Good news is that it's an easy fix, unlike a diesel leak from the FRP tank that one of my 1970 Dutch-built boat's older sister had.

...Has anyone else found a leak in a FRP tank?...

Not personally but I know of a two KK42's that had leaking FG water tanks. Initial inspections were through the inspection port on each tank with a light and mirror. Our tank interiors are finished with white gel coat.

My understanding is that the crack or area of the leak was easy to identify. Getting to the area for repair was a different story. The tanks are integral and can not be removed so in both cases, the floor and then the sub floor over the tank had to be removed. Then an access/repair port over the leak was cut in the tank then after the repairs completed, the tank(s) were sealed and floors restored. The actual repair of the leak was easy though.

Just be patient until it stops losing water - then you know the level of the leak. You can cut an access hole and patch internally (after fully draining and drying). Only caveat is baffles might also need cutting.

Keith

Post 3 is correct, find the elevation at which leak occurs. You may luck out and have it be at fill opening or even at inspection port. Check out the vent opening and measuring device hole if so equipped. Also the pump takeoff and any other cutouts should be suspect.

Paper towels liberally placed should lead you to leak area. You are sure it is fresh water?

Back
Top Bottom