Californian 45, 1988 but new to us!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be sure to remove all designer brewed beverages from your vessel if you want him to leave before dark. FlyWright is known around here for his thorough marine refrigerator 'inspections'.

Wow, Bligh, thank you for the warning! I will be sure to have extra guards on fridge watch. Never can be too careful.

First things first! The fridge inspection was naturally the first place we started. I had to pry Patty away from the door for a thorough check and what I found was appalling!

img_450245_0_281416016233610dbbd4adfedd01016a.jpg

img_450245_1_e47141dd96dbd78ad60cbebb8a4631f6.jpg

Apparently this vessel has sat in this sorry state for quite some time. Todd and Patty have already started to improve this with a beer purchase following the fridge inspection. Unfortunately, workload and an evening drive through Bay Area traffic prevented adequate libation sampling. Followup visits may be required.

On the electrical front, we found 3 battery switches in the aft cabin locker that control P and S start batts (8Ds) and some house power (6xGC Trojan T105s). There's something else powering the house bank as the lights dim but don't extinguish when this switch is turned off. My hunch is it's the gen battery, but Todd will disconnect that battery and try it again. Time didn't allow for complete troubleshooting. (Todd, the switch for that batt is below the genset battery box, IIRC.)

We also found the DC Master Bus ganged CB on the power panel lower right corner. This should be on to allow DC power to flow. But there are some issues with other functions that seem to be affected by a switch labeled Aft Bilge or something like that in the top left corner of the panel. It appears that the skills of a marine electrician might be warranted to ensure proper connections.

The batts are receiving charges from the shore charger and the genset. The house bank is weak but may have been in a partial SOC for some time. Inverter issues are also present. Its function is questionable, but needs a proper inspection.

Last edited:
Electricity confounds me. ... Boats have different locations for the switches, subject to builder whims:

On my boat, there are two "major" switches in the engine compartment.

Battery selection switch behind a panel in the pilothouse.

Electrical panel in the pilothouse.

And several breaker switches behind a panel in the hanging closet. (no photo)

Sadly, the IPA is still sitting in the fridge. Al got away before sampling.

Looks like we are going to have to spend the bucks and get an electrician. The #1 problem is the water pump. It's getting power, but not working (nor is the back-up pump). I would guess it was a bad pump, except they are BOTH non-functioning. We suspect the water pump is on the house battery's mystery other power source.

Todd and I will try the gen-battery-disconnect-test that Al suggested this weekend. It's supposed to be in the high 90's at home this weekend, so we will be at the boat FOR SURE.

- Patty

I assume that you are in a marina so why not grab someone off the dock that has a sizable boat or the dockmaster? Not much headway here doing it by guessing at a distance.

That's a good idea... I know just the person!

Thanks for the idea!

Sadly, the IPA is still sitting in the fridge. Al got away before sampling.

Looks like we are going to have to spend the bucks and get an electrician. The #1 problem is the water pump. It's getting power, but not working (nor is the back-up pump). I would guess it was a bad pump, except they are BOTH non-functioning. We suspect the water pump is on the house battery's mystery other power source.

Todd and I will try the gen-battery-disconnect-test that Al suggested this weekend. It's supposed to be in the high 90's at home this weekend, so we will be at the boat FOR SURE.

- Patty

Yes, that one was a head scratcher. Both fresh water pumps, Main and Backup, have 12V DC at the pump, but neither operate. The RW washdown pump operates OK. Possible bad solenoid at the main (crusty connections), fried pump at the spare. The spare is a Jabsco PAR MAX so it's easy to remove, test and replace. The motor on the main pump, while a little more involved for removal, is also relatively easy to access for removal/repair.

Time for some bench test troubleshooting.

Hey Al
I got an alternator on the starboard engine that's getting tired and only charges about half the time. I'll throw some sailboater beer in the fridge if you want to trouble shoot it for me. :flowers:

*(Miller light and Rainier):hide:

You're gonna have to raise the ante a bit, Edelweiss. I'm cheap...but I'm not THAT cheap!

I assume you've checked the connections. If the alternator's size and style has served you well, a remove-rebuild-reinstall may be a simple and cost-effective solution. Alternator rebuild shops are a dime-a-dozen in metropolitan areas like yours.

I installed a Balmar b/c a friend made me an offer on it I couldn't refuse...about 50% of retail for one that was only used a year or so. If I had to pay retail, I probably wouldn't have done it. My port alternator looks original, but at 39 years, I kinda doubt it is.

Ok, I'll throw in some Olympia beer then. (PBR bought the name and is making it again. Takes me back to my college days, but it still tastes the same. . . . like water!) Ha Ha

These are just the OEM truck style alternators and the voltage regulators get tired on them. Your boat probably had the same ones. As long as the bearings and windings don't fail, pull the back case off the alternator, replace the $20 regulator/diode trio card and you're good for another 10 years. With the 7.5K generator, we seldom need more alternator amps. So I've never been tempted to upgrade.

BAD SOLENOID YA'LL!!!

A special shout-our to my new friend Al. You figured it out! Should be fixed this week... Yipee!

can't let my wife read this thread. We are in the process of buying a 1988 Californian. Everything seems to work. The only issue we found was a black water smell and a lot of Fabreeze. Hoping its the hoses and not a leaky tank.

You are gonna love her! To be honest, we are starting to wonder if the electrical weirdness wasn't the yacht broker messing with us. Yes, he was THAT much of a jerk. Our girl has a bit of a smell also (lots of febreeze here also!), but we suspect it's a leaky fuel hose... We are SO happy with her...and the learning continues. We are still smiling (sometimes crying or yelling at each other), but MOSTLY smiling!

Good luck with your new ride. They are great boats! Start out by changing all your sanitation hoses. That is most likely the source of your smell. If the 45 is anything like the 48's it holds water up forward. If you can keep the bilge dry the entire boat will smell better. Use a shop vac to remove what's there. If it stays wet then you will need to find the source. Once you do those two things bet you will find a better smelling vessel next time you board.

I have a 85' 43ft. My 3 A/Cs drip into the bilge. It migrates to the bow in front of the holding tank. Thats more or less fresh water. Doesn't smell much. If any sea water gets in and is there for any period of time it will smell. I'm told its all the bio matter in sea water that will smell.

Steve

We have suspected as much re: the bilge. It's high on the list (empty, clean, observe, trace, stop) of things we need to take care of. But FIRST we need to get the new hot water heater installed. BTW, we don't have AC, so that can't be the culprit. Hollywood Florida, or Hollywood, California? (Florida - gotta have AC, CA - maybe, maybe not)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom