what's the boat of your dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

101TUG

Vessel Name
Soler Fox
Vessel Make
Selene 62
I'm curious to know your dreams boat, we not speaking about budget :bang head: or possibility just dreams ...:smitten:

We just got ours in February. :)

The boat of MY dreams is big enough for the grand piano and run a professional captain and crew, one of which is a gourmet chef.

"A man's dreams must exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for?" --Robert Browning

(
applies to women too!)

Last edited:
The boat of MY dreams is big enough for the grand piano and run a professional captain and crew, one of which is a gourmet chef.

"A man's dreams must exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for?" --Robert Browning

(
applies to women too!)

Something the Missus and I have discussed.

We would hate to have a boat that we could not run ourselves.

We do not want strangers (captain, crew, galley) on our boat. Our dream is to have a boat we can run and manage ourselves, with the budget where we can pen the checks for maintenance, They do the maintenance and then get off the boat!

Kind of related to the "Taking the Plunge" thread where I was enthusiastic about a 1987 Ocean, I'm currently interested in this 1985 50' Ocean MK II that's been extended 4':
4732669_20140613094937592_1_XLARGE.jpg
I showed it to my wife today. She said "nice...it looks bigger than Refugio - is it?". Er, just a bit...

they are very strange looking boats..

Hugues

I think they are beautiful! But of course only after you have removed the upper deck captain's cabin or whatever it is called.

Great comment - I laughed out loud!

I think they are beautiful! But of course only after you have removed the upper deck captain's cabin or whatever it is called.

Great comment - I laughed out loud!

we will see witch boat you going to dream tomorrow ...

so now is late here I'm going to dream in my boat :D:D:D:D:D:D;)

Well, if I can't have AZZAM, I'd take either of these two. The first is a Fleming 65, the second a Marlow 66, but it would have to have a white hull.

run4.jpg

68572997.jpg

I bought my dream boat years ago and it turned out that the dream was better than reality.

So nowadays I don't have a dream... only a goal and a strategy to reach it.

I bought my dream boat years ago and it turned out that the dream was better than reality. So nowadays I don't have a dream... only a goal and a strategy to reach it.

Yes, I'm just about that practical. Some of you here already have dream boats, and even though my own dream boat doesn't exist, it would probably look something like this....some of the attributes of the vessel I have now, space, visibility, shallow draft, economy, rich interior, storage and lots of separate spaces by which to enjoy the enjoy the water. But I'd want a good turn of speed while still maintaining economy, so it would need to be a cat, but one with two stand-up engine rooms, quarter windows, and an inside stairway to the pilothouse. Trouble is, the cat being sensitive to heavy loading, I might need to have some pretty buoyant hulls. So this Mana-cat would just about do it all.

Attachments

• streched mana-cat.jpg
    streched mana-cat.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 68
Like Mako-we no longer dream, but for a different reason-we have the boat of our dreams. Of the hundreds of boats I saw before, and the hundreds I have seen since we got our boat, I have yet to see one I would trade for for any reason or under any circumstance. So, we no longer need to dream, we just enjoy the reality.

Larry-what happened to your nice new pilothouse windows? You just got them and already changed the design?

The boat I have now is it, or will be it! Growing up I heard stories of my Grampa running a lugger similar to mine. I was a late child so all that was done by the time I showed up, boat gone gramps dead. But that little dream stayed with me till now. Actually for the record my boat is bigger then my Gramps's. My hope now is that my family and friends enjoy it as much as I know I will. My new dream is for my son to take the boat after I'm gone and keep it going, the dream that is.
img_441242_0_2815018ee9450bf4cd7c15347ae28da5.jpeg

img_441242_1_3b73674aad62369e505783af3b139de3.jpeg

There are two boats in the pictures. The Marie was Gramps' and the other was I believe his dads? I don't know for sure. And I don't know why they are stringing up a Ray, those are pretty common around here but I don't eat them. To many other good things to eat.

So, we (my wife and I) are probably a bit unusual in this regard but neither of us wants a boat bigger than about 40 ish feet...
I do not understand the desire for such large boats...
Sure the space is nice and I'm sure people love them but so much of what we do would be limited by larger boats.
I love wooden boats, plank on frame and cold molded. I love fiberglass boats. Trawlers, tugs, express boats, sailboats, dinghies...
I simply love boats!

Today we headed out for a sea trial on an American Tug 395.
This may soon be our "favorite boat"
Bruce

So, we (my wife and I) are probably a bit unusual in this regard but neither of us wants a boat bigger than about 40 ish feet...

I simply love boats!

Today we headed out for a sea trial on an American Tug 395.
This may soon be our "favorite boat"
Bruce

Hold that thought... :thumb:

With the budget to have my maintenance crew follow me, do all the work and then be left alone, this would be the life!

0496469e9dac18b7653aafe2a7f756b0.jpg
dd910fb0881bc841648302478532ae07.jpg

My philosophy reflects the words of singer Sheryl Crow;

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have."

Makes dreaming a lot easier.

Now knowing "exactly" what my wife and I enjoy when boating, our pick is the Ocean Alexander 64. We have had the good fortune to be aboard our friend's boat several times and consider it to be about "as good as it gets" for the kind of cruising we love and the region we live in.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 68
The boat of my dreams was realized in 1967. I sold avacados to all the neighborhood ladies to earn money. I delivered newspapers, mowed lawns, washed cars. Finally I was able to buy that aluminum fishing boat from Sears. My dad and I didn't have to fish along the banks of Convict Lake in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. We could row out to the middle and troll! Life was good. I learned lessons along the way.

Today, I think I have the boat of my dreams. But writing a check today isn't quite the same as back then when real dreams came true.

My philosophy reflects the words of singer Sheryl Crow;

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have."

Makes dreaming a lot easier.

That sounded profound until I thought about it a bit - if "having" is present tense then they are the same, right? In other words, "not" having what you want is "not" preferable. Interesting word play.

Keith

Larry-what happened to your nice new pilothouse windows? You just got them and already changed the design?

OK, yeah, that's true but I forgot to mention that part of the dream would be "less maintenance".:blush:

refugio; said:
I'm currently interested in this 1985 50' Ocean MK II that's been extended 4':View attachment 51819
A lot of "dream boats" have come along since but it will be a long time before the MK II is removed from my list, triple nickels and all.

The 50 had a pretty skimpy cockpit but that 4' extension made it a whole new boat. Pierce Arrow, a 2 stateroom version, out of of Tacoma years ago was one of the nicest boats I have seen. The later use of Sen wood diminished the elegance but not the over all quality.

A great couple boat.

I would like a Blanchard 36, or something similar.

a835744970af5b9217aba6070d29a621.jpg

If I can't get something like that I would accept a Westport 112.

Kaleenweb.jpg

Last edited:
I would like a Blanchard 36, or something similar.

a835744970af5b9217aba6070d29a621.jpg

If I can't get something like that I would accept a Westport 112.

Kaleenweb.jpg

Wifey B: Eclectic much? :) Love it. You pick a rare older unique boat and a very nice boat which appearance wise hasn't changed in years and there would be 50 others out there with basically the same boat.

No reason we can't like things from all ends of the spectrum. :speed boat:

Back
Top Bottom