What is boat length measured?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most common measurements I see are:

1. LOA without platform or pulpit

2. LOA with platform or pulpit.

Both of those are centerline lengths. #1 is the documented length and #2 comes into play in determining slip size needed and charged for. The only time this becomes complicated to me is when the platform is an integral part of the hull. That's where LOD (length on deck) excludes it and hull length includes it.

LOA for documentation purposes does include any integral swim platform and excludes one that isn't integral to the hull.

LOA also called centerline length or documented length.

Fortunately, except as shown by the one marina in this thread, I haven't heard of anyone measuring along the outside of a boat in decades. However, before regulations there were some builders calling that LOA.

LWL is critical to knowing your displacement or hull speed. It's also important for bottom painting. You'd think it would be also for hull cleaning, but I don't know a single diver who uses it. The ones I know go by LOA.

Then there's the nominal length. Many say, the builder called it 62'. Well, look carefully. While some like KK do label it Krogen 52', more use model numbers which can represent anything they want. Don't assume a 550 is 55' or a 44 is 44'. We have a Sunseeker Manhattan 65. Same hull as a Manhattan 63. Look on their brochure or web site and the length is 69'1". Well, that's LOA with platform and pulpit. Nowhere on the brochure or website will you see the LOA without platform and pulpit. It is, and the documented length is 63'. You will also not see the LWL anywhere. Among other things you won't see, you won't see the air draft anywhere. And if you look at the water draft on their brochure it won't mention what engines. It's actually with IPS. With traditional drives it's 3" less.

Beneteau is a good example too. On the Swift Trawler 50, they never refer to it as 50'. It's just a model number. They are actually closest to their LOA including pulpit and platform which is 49'2". The hull length and documented length is only 43'9". Notice how Sunseeker and Beneteau took opposite approaches to numbering. Sunseeker numbers close to the hull length. Beneteau numbers close to their LOA with pulpit and platform. So model designations are generally useless.

Someone mentioned difficulty in determining centerline length or LOA for slips. Actually very easy. Pull it in and measure how much shorter or longer than a known slip length, or just dock it on a side tie anywhere. Mark on the dock the furthermost points of the boat. Measure. I have encountered marinas that measured for transient. That's exactly how they do it. Actually saw a bit of a dispute. They accepted my number without measuring because I gave them length including pulpit and platform, not documented length. They were trying to explain to another boat that they didn't care what his document said. They cared about how much space it took and if he didn't want to pay for the platform and bow pulpit, he should just remove them then.

Greetings,
Re: post #29...She said bumkins...
tee-hee.gif

Peggy has a good point. My NP43 is 42' from the tip of the hull at the bow to aft of the cockpit. LOA is 45.6 because of the integral swim step.

For purposes of WA State Mooring bouys and my WA State Marine pass my NP43 is 43' long (and I'm sticking to it).

You know, I just complained about it, never stopped to think it through. Thanks Peggy!

My builder, Seahorse Marine, has described the 35'8" deck length of the Coot as both a 35-foot or 36-foot boat, depending on mood. If one includes the bow pulpit and the up-folded swim platform, it's about 38'. ... Never had a marina measure-tape my boat. Nevertheless, not all suitable-length berths can accommodate the boat's 13' beam. Desire 16' feet and more! Fortunately, my home berth is over-sized.

You're prob'ly including a pulpit that's part of the DECK mold, not the hull mold, in your measurement...the builder can't count that in the LOA. If there's a swim platform that isn't integral to the hull mold, they can't count that either. But a dock master can, and will!

Makes even more difference in a small boat. All the leading runabout builders started going that way. Look at Sea Ray. A 230 is 23' in the mind of the buyer, with the integral platform. In my mind it's still a 21' boat. Their 19' is 17' to me. The trickiest is their 19 SPX outboard. How did they call it 19'? Well, they have integral platforms that extend on both sides out beside the outboard.

Our Krogen 42 is documented at 43'. We're 46' overall from the tip of the bow pulpit to the edge of the swim platform. The swim platforms 3' as is the bow pulpit.

Prior to sale, I had my surveyor measure the length of my KK42. While the boat was on the hard, we used plumb bobs to measure "Length on Deck" from the bow (not including the pulpit) to the transom of the hull, just below the caprail. It came out to 42'3" which is what most kk42's are listed at in brokerage listings. I needed that measurement surveyed for a specific requirement of a "license" that was transferred to my vessel at purchase. It just so happens that this vessel length and the identified length of the license were identical, which was a good thing.

Larry, I roughly figured out our length overall at 45'. That's what I tell marinas I visit. My swim platform sure doesn't extend 3 feet beyond the transom that overhangs the forward part of the swim step. The swim step maybe adds 18".

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

A friend had a 2004 Sea Ray 380 Sundancer, next to him at the dock was a 2007 Sea Ray 38 Sundancer which had the integrated swim platform the 2007 was 2 feet shorter overall.

A friend had a 2004 Sea Ray 380 Sundancer, next to him at the dock was a 2007 Sea Ray 38 Sundancer which had the integrated swim platform the 2007 was 2 feet shorter overall.

Interesting way to moderate the pricing increases too.

This is from an old 1964 copy of Merchant Vessels of the United States, includes yachts.

"Register length". "is the length of a vessel measured on the top of the tonnage deck from the fore part of the outer planking or plating at the bow to the after part of the sternpost of screw steamers and to the after part of the rudderpost of other vessels. The register length is not usually the same as the over-all length nor the load water line length." This is old and may have changed, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom