Show your sheer line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our recently sold 1963, 34ft Chris Craft "Charmed". After the 1950's the sheer line of the Chris Craft's became very plain compared to the raised decks of prior models. However, overall my highly biased opinion is the Chris's in the 60's were the best looking boats on the water at that time and still have a timeless style that stands up well.

A Chris is a Chris. Boat designs that will always hold their own!

Not my boat, but beautiful lines.
Bayliss-B18-motor-yacht-Clean-Sweep-at-sunrise.jpg

Cinderella's Slipper!!

Greetings,
MY observation is that when ANYONE asks what a particular nautical term means, more often than not, a simple "definition" blossoms like flowers in the spring into a multi page "discussion".

You mean like "Salon"?:hide:

One of my all time favourites for 'sheer beauty'...the Allweather pocket trawler;

More Pictures

Last edited:
One of my all time favourites for sheer beauty...the Allweather pocket trawler;

More Pictures

Those are really nice little cruisers.

I was brought up being very often aboard a 23' 1948 Chris Craft Express... some times for over a month at a time with parents and us three young kids cruising new England inner water ways and sometimes off shore on really nice days.. For cruising now at 6'1" and 250 weightlifter lbs... I simply require more elbow room than these boats provide. With 5'10" wife, staying aboard those little beauties would be cramped to say the least

One of my all time favourites for 'sheer beauty'...the Allweather pocket trawler;

More Pictures

When I saw an Allweather in person, there seemed to be a little bit of powder horn going on in the bow, which was a bit disappointing. But yeah, I've always liked the concept of them, but not necessarily the execution. Closer to fish boat, than recreational trawler.

Hard to beat a 26' MWB for shear. There was one that was moored south of town on Malaspina Strait all year round. In the winter storms it looked like a puppy on a leash. I'd drive out just to watch it bounce around for awhile.

Northern Spy; said:
When I saw an Allweather in person, there seemed to be a little bit of powder horn going on in the bow, which was a bit disappointing.
Powder horn?
In this context.

When I saw an Allweather in person, there seemed to be a little bit of powder horn going on in the bow, which was a bit disappointing. But yeah, I've always liked the concept of them, but not necessarily the execution. Closer to fish boat, than recreational trawler.

Hard to beat a 26' MWB for shear. There was one that was moored south of town on Malaspina Strait all year round. In the winter storms it looked like a puppy on a leash. I'd drive out just to watch it bounce around for awhile.

Gilligan - Did you take one or the other of the gals from the island-show on some of those drives with you... to, so called... "watch it bounce around". Is that the only thing you were planning to "watch bounce around"? Tell me it isn't true!! Were you guys fooling around back in the 60's? Is some of what I've heard true?? - LOL :lol:

A droopy bow.

Like many of Tom Fexus'es designs.

I'm not clear on definition of "droopy bow". Please explain.

What I do not like are boat designs that have the sheer line "hog backed"; wherein the bow's stem angle/sheer points downward toward the water. I've been in too many rough seas and know from experience that well outwardly angled top end prow of a bow, whose sheer line points considerably upward, is best for handling big waves; be they oncoming or following sea conditions.

I've never seen a real fishing trawler designed with hog backed sheer line.

I think "droppy bow" (as in above) may be a "reverse sheer" ... As in convex. Instead of the sheer being concave (as are most boats) it becomes convex on the bow deck so the helm'sman can see over same.

On some boats like the old wood runabouts and ski boats that had only a subtle reverse sheer, tumblehome aft and a nice flare ect had a lot to do w the type became one of the best looking boats ever.

But if you want to be straight w your engineering and completely practical you would probably adopt a straight sheer (or nearly so) ... like many DeFevers, at least w semi-planing boats. If you're going out on the Grand Banks for a few days you'll probably want a more rockered sheer .. and chine.

Something probably not often thought about re sheer is that considerable sheer reduces the weight of a boat by lowering the sheer amidships ... where it's not needed so much on most designs. Cabin structure is lighter than hull structure.

Art,
What stem does not point toward the water?
I had a dinghy w a reverse curve stem kinda like a canoe .. is that what you're talking about? The reverse curve sheer does clearly point to the water.
A "hoged keel" is concave from the outside of the hull. Is your hoged sheer convex? I think you're talking about the distasteful practice of a reverse sheer fwd pointing down as a styling function to make a boat look vogue. I don't like that either. Kinda like wheelhouse windows slanting fwd. but there are some good practical reasons for both. The vogue ones are often taken to an extreme.

Last edited:
Powder horn sheer. With a crane proboscis to accentuate.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462298886.323729.jpg

As far as powderhorn sheer goes. Very few boats can pull it off. George Caulkins Bartender is one of the few to get it right. Even then, it varies by builder. Some look great, some look... well, less than great.

This morning, I spent 3 hours on the phone with an old truck logger in Sayward and when that happens we cover the coast and toss names around like scraps to a seagull.

Among other things, we logged off most of Vancouver Island, drove into the chuck at Zeballos, shot cougars, sank a barge in Knight Inlet, burned up a couple camps and fell off the porch at the Nimpkish Hotel in Alert Bay.

All the while, I got Google in overdrive trying to keep up with names and places.

Near wears me out...

T'ords the end we hit on more boats which led to the name Robert Critchley then landed on this little gem and said;
"damn...that has to be in the sheer thread."

I'm bettin' Ted Tad and Con Rad have seen this pretty lady in the flesh.

Attachments

• Cape Ross 1.jpg
    Cape Ross 1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Cape Ross.jpg
    Cape Ross.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 77
I think "droppy bow" (as in above) may be a "reverse sheer" ... As in convex. Instead of the sheer being concave (as are most boats) it becomes convex on the bow deck so the helm'sman can see over same.

On some boats like the old wood runabouts and ski boats that had only a subtle reverse sheer, tumblehome aft and a nice flare ect had a lot to do w the type became one of the best looking boats ever.

But if you want to be straight w your engineering and completely practical you would probably adopt a straight sheer (or nearly so) ... like many DeFevers, at least w semi-planing boats. If you're going out on the Grand Banks for a few days you'll probably want a more rockered sheer .. and chine.

Something probably not often thought about re sheer is that considerable sheer reduces the weight of a boat by lowering the sheer amidships ... where it's not needed so much on most designs. Cabin structure is lighter than hull structure.

Art,
What stem does not point toward the water?
I had a dinghy w a reverse curve stem kinda like a canoe .. is that what you're talking about? The reverse curve sheer does clearly point to the water.
A "hoged keel" is concave from the outside of the hull. Is your hoged sheer convex? I think you're talking about the distasteful practice of a reverse sheer fwd pointing down as a styling function to make a boat look vogue. I don't like that either. Kinda like wheelhouse windows slanting fwd. but there are some good practical reasons for both. The vogue ones are often taken to an extreme.

Eric you are correct in last paragraph. "Hog-Back (hogged) sheer is a term my dad and I used back in 60's when he wad designing boats... a bit.

This morning, I spent 3 hours on the phone with an old truck logger in Sayward and when that happens we cover the coast and toss names around like scraps to a seagull.

Among other things, we logged off most of Vancouver Island, drove into the chuck at Zeballos, shot cougars, sank a barge in Knight Inlet, burned up a couple camps and fell off the porch at the Nimpkish Hotel in Alert Bay.

All the while, I got Google in overdrive trying to keep up with names and places.

Near wears me out...

T'ords the end we hit on more boats which led to the name Robert Critchley then landed on this little gem and said;

Sure is a stately girl! Purdy too!!

Near wears me out...

Haven't had the pleasure although it has been on my radar for some time. Refitted by Mike Gooldrup I believe. Ted might know more about it.

Sadly not my boat. She's the one that got away. Could have done it, should have done it, didn't do it. M/V Charlie Noble, which belonged to a TF user. Lovely sheer line.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 68
It's a personal choice but I think the Cape Cook conversion is a lot more sympathetic to the original than the Cape Ross conversion, in which the original boat all but disappears.

Most sheerlines start strong (at the stem) and then sort of peter out. A while back I was looking for a sheer that is strong all the way through and found one on this Norwegian vessel.

Norwiganshape.JPG

A really good sheer (IMO) is a twisting sinuous curve of ever changing radii, a line to get lost in. It does not just go flat from midships aft, it's got perk at the stern. Most end up looking droopy aft unless there's a subtle little lift in the last few feet.

12783798_1104722072893411_5717756604464165825_o.jpg

In Maine the powderhorn effect is called "Moose Shoulders" and can only be spotted from certain viewpoints.

Northernviking1.jpg

Tad Roberts; said:
It's a personal choice but I think the Cape Cook conversion is a lot more sympathetic to the original than the Cape Ross conversion, in which the original boat all but disappears.
Agree with that. They are both classy and I was looking at the Ross from what I see as a great indoor, outdoor recreational, mix not restoration.

Farrell had some decent sheers as well.
Subtle maybe?

Attachments

• Farrell.jpg
    Farrell.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom