Roll Stabilizers at Anchor or Moored

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JESSEDIVER49

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42
For a 42 GB, any recommendation for roll stabilizers at anchor or mooring offshore? Are Rocker Stoppers a good choice?

Do you mean "Flopper" stoppers? They would be the most cost effective solution, but are a little work to deploy and retrieve.

A gyro would be an option, but probably wouldn't fit on a 42 without giving up needed space. They would also give you stabilization underway. Down side is the need to always run a generator to power them.

Fin stabilizers would work too and also provide stabilization underway. Under way they would be powered off your propulsion engine(s), and if you want at-rest stabilization you would again need to run a generator to power them.

For a 42' boat, I expect flopper stoppers are your best bet.

Roll Stabilizers

Actually, I did mean "Rocker" stoppers. A GB 42 may be too heavy with too much inertia to make these effective? Anyone try these?

9k=

Actually, I did mean "Rocker" stoppers. A GB 42 may be too heavy with too much inertia to make these effective? Anyone try these?

Rocker stoppers are a fancy derivation of flopper stoppers. Can work if set up right. I'm not a fan of either personally, but they both work. I'd prefer fins.

I think one of the magma rock and roll stabs would serve you well. http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Stabilizer/stabilizer.html
We use ours whenever bigger swells start wrapping around islands and approach us on the beam. I think we may have helped sell three sets last month to sailboats holed up in our anchorage during a spell of rough weather. No affiliation just a satisfied customer.

Spell check via iPhone.

I'm guessing there's something newer than what we have. Our Niads won't really do anything unless water is moving over them.

On the other hand, at cruise speed they're GRRRREAT!

I have to agree with No Mast, no water flow no work being done, its basic in how they operate. BandB can you explain how the ones you are familiar with accomplish stability with no or limited water flow ? I could see that if they were big enough, with enough movement, they may be able to exert some counterforce. But then they would be much larger than neccessary while moving at speed.

It's primarily in the controls as to whether a fin provides help at rest and, if so, how much. Naiad has more functionality in most of their controls today.

Their systems consist of Active Roll Stabilization, Stabilization at rest and Ride Control.

Their "Stabilization at Rest" controls in which the controls detect the rolling with a very sensitive motion sensor package. The controller processes the signals from the motion sensor package and commands a calibrated signal to electro-hydraulic servo valves causing immediate rotation of the fins, which generate a substantial force. By timing the fin movement in perfect phase with the roll motion (acceleration, angular speed and deceleration) a righting moment is applied to the vessel, which dampens the vessel’s tendency to roll.

Naiad does have kits to convert any of their systems to their current technology.

Not being a scientist, I cut and pasted the information on how it does it.

I have to agree with No Mast, no water flow no work being done, its basic in how they operate. BandB can you explain how the ones you are familiar with accomplish stability with no or limited water flow ? I could see that if they were big enough, with enough movement, they may be able to exert some counterforce. But then they would be much larger than neccessary while moving at speed.

It's my understanding they "doggy paddle", at least I know that's how ABT's star system utilizes the fins at rest.

I have never seen a 42'GB with flopper stoppers. That certainly does not mean some might not have them. I have predominately seen them on the full displacement boats vs. the GB's semi-d.

Every stabilizer manufacturer I'm familiar with has some form of zero speed stabilization.

BandB, that is interesting. I dont know enough about fin type stabies to even talk semi intelligently. Your post helps me to know a little more. thanks.

I've used both the Davis "hats" and the Magma plates on a 42' GB I used to own and they both worked great.

They both work best when deployed off outrigger style poles. But I did find the hats worked great without poles if you deployed them off both side and added an extra hat or two to each side.

Neither took long to deploy or retrieve once you got the hang of it. Nor were they hard to stow.

I highly recommend them for any boat that anchors out often.

I even use a pair of Magma's on a 90'. You could feel the difference they made as soon as you deployed them.

Last edited:
BandB, that is interesting. I dont know enough about fin type stabies to even talk semi intelligently. Your post helps me to know a little more. thanks.

Wifey B: I like Oliver's "Dog Paddle" answer. Now I'm expecting to look under the boat and see a doggy. :)

Not being a scientist, I cut and pasted the information on how it does it.

You should have left that out! Sounded like you really knew what you were talking about till that sentence!

Interesting, thanks. I'm going to check it out and maybe add it to a future upgrade in a few years.

You should have left that out! Sounded like you really knew what you were talking about till that sentence!

Interesting, thanks. I'm going to check it out and maybe add it to a future upgrade in a few years.

I believe in full disclosure. I could tell you it works, but had to go to their site to see how.

Thought those Ocean Torques looked very familiar, Benn.

The previous owner claimed to have spent much time designing and commissioning fabrication of our flopper stoppers himself, but there on the Ocean Torque site were the photos of their product mounted on my boat.:)

Anyway, I can vouch for the fact that they work well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom