Camping mentality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
The phrase came up in a discussion today. First, I ask about land. How many of you camp or have camper regularly and then what type camping. Is it primitive, tent, modest RV or super motorhome.

Then the same thing about boating, without making judgments of each other. Do you lean toward the camping and minimalist style or self sufficiency or lean toward this is my home and I want it like a home with all the conveniences.

I wonder how much we'll see the answers on the two questions correlate. I would think quite a bit.

I have done plenty of both...both land and boat camping.....and it is great for a couple days or weeks. So if that matches your boating time thresholds, fine boat camp and enjoy....if that makes you happy.

I am at the other extreme...I live aboard and cruise at least 2500 miles a year for around 5 months....live aboard and work the other 7.

I want a boat as luxurious as any house, more so if I could only afford it.

Several here think others should emulate their thinking....wow....I gave that up in high school.

Last edited:
Tent camped as a kid and some RVing. Then I did a fair bit of backpacking as a teen and young adult. With young family we did a lot of tent camping with the kids.

Boating, my experiences were all on sailboats. First as a kid was a San Juan 21. Portable toilet, alcohol stove and sleeping bags. Definitely camping. Then came a San Juan 24, Cal 29, Catalina 36, and a Catalina 400. All increasingly more comfortable yet in a way still had a "camping" mentality. No generator, no inverter, so we would only use a microwave if plugged in to shore power. Always had to conserve power since sailors don't just run an engine to charge a battery. Definitely not "roughing it" in a 40 foot sailboat with two heads and separate shower, but not the same as a small apartment either.

Now, I have moved to a boat that, while not a floating apartment, is more like a floating mountain cabin. However, the only "household" appliance I have is the small microwave (and Sat TV which I have yet to look at).

I still view the boat as I viewed camping as a kid. A place to explore, relax, simplify (yeah I know that "simple boating" is an oxymoron), and a change to "get away". However, due to age and too many marathons, my body appreciates the comforts. My boat is NOT a second home. It is only a boat.

Personally, I don't see "camping" as a bad thing. Just as I don't see enjoying the luxuries of modern living while on a boat to be a bad thing. Just two different approaches. I also grew up with a very constrained family income and most of my adult life was dependent on my wife's teacher salary. If I had lots of money (OK, I do have lots of money relative to most of the US population) my perspective and choices would be different I am sure.

Last edited:
I have done plenty of both...both land and boat camping.....and it is great for a couple days or weeks. So if that matches your boating time thresholds, fine boat camp and enjoy....if that makes you happy.

I am at the other extreme...I live aboard and cruise at least 2500 miles a year for around 5 months....live aboard and work the other 7.

I want a boat as luxurious as any house, more so if I could only afford it.

Too many here think others should emulate their thinking....wow....I gave that up in high school.

Wifey B: The house I grew up in was a lot like camping. :) Neither of us has ever camped a night on land. No tent. Hubby had a clubhouse behind his home that he "camped out" in. It was not primitive. Nicer than our house I think, cause it had storm windows with screens and it had heat that worked. We do intend some time to camp for a night so we can say we did it. We imagine swimming under a waterfall in the evening and then camping out overlooking the waterfall.

Oops....I erred. Yes, me. :D We've spent the night on the beach, no tent, just blankets and us. And the moon and the stars. And champagne. And....umm.....well....making love. Yes, we had a lookout, she made sure no one came down the beach cause it's in a city they would have not been amused, plus behind her family's hotel. Too many people walk that beach now at night but in 2000 they didn't so much.

Our boating is at that same extreme. All the conveniences of home but moves along the water. Now, the plus of all that is there is no where we'd rather be. We'd never choose the nicest hotel over spending time on the boat.

I camped a lot through college and even a little after. When I bought my first sailboat, I never went land camping again. I do believe sailboaters are more of a camping mentality since they feel guilty for being comfortable. I got tired of it and went to a trawler for the reasons of comfort...and walking erect...and not being down in a cave. So yeah, I like the comforts of home in my boat.

I will say I installed a very nice inverter on my boat...and haven't run the generator since. Maybe I am regressing.

I would wonder if there is a regional difference. I would be tempted to think that those that grew up in the PNW would be more prone to be in the camping camp. However, I can think of Kevin in AK who is definitely NOT in the camping camp so like most generalizations this would likely be horribly wrong as well.

I have done some of both at a number of different levels. The simple answer is depends on duration. I have reclined the seat in my pickup truck and slept in the rest stop more times than I can count. Have boat camped on my charter boat for as much as a week at a time with a 3" thick bunk cushion. Still young and supple enough to do that if necessary. No way I'm doing that for extended cruising on land or sea though.

When I cruise, I try to be efficient and energy conservative to a point. My financial situation doesn't require it, I just think it's a reasonable compromise for the leisure lifestyle that I can have.

Ted

Everything's relative,
To those that cruise in small OB boats think our Willy is sort of a megayacht. And a high percentage here look at Willy w no gen, power dinghy launch, carpet, dishwasher, clothes washing machine, TV, dedicated shower ... as a camper-boat.

I would welcome the power dinghy launch and dedicated shower and would never have a TV on our boat but the rest I'm not interested in.

Some of it directly relates to our affluence or lack of but most IMO has to do w what one is used to. Life is a huge pile of habits. I look down at people that anchor from the helm station but if I did it for awhile I may, in time think what I do is almost silly. Silly as to what? And look down on re to what? It is all relative and most all of us need more scope in life to relate to others objectively. I look at young guys w their pants down so far the material below their butt looks awful because the pants don't fit that way. I think it's stupid .. perhaps even asinine but when I was young I did things in the same category. And I'll never think they were asinine .... but they no doubt were. Where we are is where we look at other things. Things that are different are never seen clearly. Too much experience and relatinity get in the way.

Having said that we are mostly in the camping category re our boating. But even the word camping has lost it's meaning. To call stopping for the night in a motorhome camping is just stupid to me. Twenty years ago I stopped for the night at a campground and they said they "don't take tenters" and I told them that's the only way to camp w/o looking at the stars. The sign out front said "Campground". It's all relative and what you're used to.

Last edited:
I would wonder if there is a regional difference. I would be tempted to think that those that grew up in the PNW would be more prone to be in the camping camp. However, I can think of Kevin in AK who is definitely NOT in the camping camp so like most generalizations this would likely be horribly wrong as well.

There is definitely a regional "influence". It is quite easy to boat in the PNW without a generator. If you boat in the Summer on the Gulf Coast(without AC), they will find your boat adrift and vultures picking at your bones!!!!

I only say that because as a "passionate" sailboater, I always DREAMED of everything I do now. But doing it on a sailboat is not nearly as comfortable. So in order to make the dream come true, I had to adjust my vessel to fit the dream. Anchoring out on a sailboat(or any boat) with no AC in the Gulf Coast summer is absolutely miserable. A low in the low to mid 80s....with 100% humidity. Yes a sailboat can have a generator. But you usually have to buy a bigger(ish) one to get one. The vast majority of 30 foot sailboats do not have generators...the vast majority of 30 foot powerboats do.

So it is a comfort thing for me. And a generator, in this part of the country, contributes greatly to comfort!!...and therefore the usability of the boat!!!

Last edited:
Like dhays, I consider time spent on the boat like "comfortable camping". I enjoy it, but my wife has not really taken to it like I had hoped she would have.

I think we just need to get out on the water together more (just the two of us) and she will see the beauty of it all. We usually have too many people crammed on the boat IMO, and that's not relaxing for me.

Baker,
I always forget the AC. And fail to relate to some TF stuff as a result.
Thanks

In 8 posts there are already words like "look down on" or "stopping for the night is stupid to me".....for other's wants or desires.

And people think the Galaxy Girl threads were toxic.

See, I think in urban areas people wish to camp to see if they are tough enough or get away from it all. My experience in the PNW and Alaska for the most part, people were wishing they had more than they already did. Better homes, bigger boats, more shopping, pizza places, etc, etc.

Sure there are minimalists everywhere, is some ways I am too, but the other half of the time, luxury ain't so half bad. :D

would never have a TV on our boat

Wifey B: Heresy. :rofl:

I think some of the tv and computer love may be generational. I don't know. Growing up we had rabbit ears and 3 snowy stations and I didn't watch because I preferred to be in my bedroom. But since then I'm an addict. NBA playoffs right now. I love to see that. We like to follow our teams. We won't alter our entire schedule to do so. And there are silly shows I love. Shows educated people aren't supposed to like. They're great escape. I'd feel so deprived without tv.

We're on the computer and watching Mystery Diner's we had DVR'ed and eating a light lunch. We're chilling today and tomorrow since we head back north to the boat this weekend.

See, I think in urban areas people wish to camp to see if they are tough enough or get away from it all.

Long ago I proved my toughness but it most definitely wasn't in camping. I don't like bugs. I don't like to sleep in cold or in warm, humid conditions with no A/C. I don't like a lumpy bed. I'm quite admittedly not tough enough to camp.

...I don't like bugs. I don't like to sleep in cold or in warm, humid conditions with no A/C. I don't like a lumpy bed. I'm quite admittedly not tough enough to camp.
:thumb:
I rarely need A/C where I cruise. Heat is needed in the winter. I was never much of a camper - I did it a few times and never slept well. Even as a sailor I liked my creature comforts.

I think sailboat owners don't so much feel guilty about being comfortable as they are just trying to save money! Sailboats are in general a more economical way of getting out on the water. If you start adding generators, heat and air, etc, the cost goes up significantly. They carry less fuel too, so that can become an issue too. Like many sailboat owners I know, I had a propane powered "Mr Heater" that I used in the coldest weather. Not while asleep but to warm up the cabin in the morning or evening.

Richard

I only say that because as a "passionate" sailboater, I always DREAMED of everything I do now. But doing it on a sailboat is not nearly as comfortable. So in order to make the dream come true, I had to adjust my vessel to fit the dream. Anchoring out on a sailboat(or any boat) with no AC in the Gulf Coast summer is absolutely miserable. A low in the low to mid 80s....with 100% humidity. Yes a sailboat can have a generator. But you usually have to buy a bigger(ish) one to get one. The vast majority of 30 foot sailboats do not have generators...the vast majority of 30 foot powerboats do.

Most definitely. A Catalina 400 is a fantastic sailboat. Sails great, very comfortable, and pretty roomy. My fellow C400 owners on the East Coast have boats that are a bit different than mine however. They have generators for AC, and they don't generally have any heat. They also have a wing keel as opposed to my fin keel. For them a draft of 7' is as much of a non-starter as the lack of AC. So our environment dictates many features of our boats. I wonder how much the culture of a region also changes our viewpoint?

We never tent camped. First had a truck camper to pull the run about. Then a class c motor home to pull run about. Bought a 28 ft boat we trailered, and still had the motor home and run about for 2 years. We decided we wanted a bigger boat, so my wife bought the Eagle, 58 ft and kept the motor home and run about. 2 years ago bought a bigger fancier motor home to travel the US. 6 month on the Eagle and 6 months on motor home.

I am a metro sexual and dock queen requiring a lot of comforts and TLC.:D

Tent camped a LOT as a Boy Scout who atained Eagle rank

After US Army service I served as a BS Scoutmaster for many years with a Troop which emphasized rudimentary tent camping.

No wonder that when I finally figured out how to pay for a "cruising sailboat" it was a Dovekie. We towed that boat all over the E USA, from Canada to Florida. Then we upgraded to a Shearwater yawl, which is still a LOT simpler boat than what most folks cruise in.

Now that we have an Albin-25, our intention remains to keep it as simple as possible; a VHF radio and a handheld GPS is all we need.

I've "camped" pretty ruff lots of times. Mostly in the back seat of a 4 door truck, surrounded by bird dogs on stake out chains and hobbled horses. On the prairies of South Dakota and Nebraska. If I had paying customers I stayed at the same motel as them, when not I stayed in the Motel Chevy, and saved some money. That was more important to me than comfort. I had a gas grill built into the steel flatbed and a bean cooker/ burner beside it And a folding lawn chair. I ate sharptail grouse breast wrapped in bacon and a big bowl of red beans with jalapenos every evening. Cowboy coffee and leftover bacon in the morning. The truck had a 500 cubic inch Cadilacc motor that ran on propane. I put small chamber 472 Caddy heads on for a 14 to 1 CR to make enough power to pull the big hills out west. A pair of Impco 425 mixers and 2 model E regulators all plumbed to a pair of 108 gallon tanks. It used a lot of gas. But, I had plenty for the grill :) If it was going to snow I put the dogs in the horse trail, all 15 of them. They didnt always get along, sometimes I'd have to get up in the night and "discuss it" with them. Good times back then. My boat is nothing like that.

I did a lot of camping and a lot of sailing

Age plays a roll. At least for me. In the past mountaineering, racing sailboats were my passions. Snow cave, igloos, bevi sacks , lumpy sail mattresses. At 73 my pillow top inerspring mattress, air conditioning and heat are more important. I've spent enough time in a cold cockpit. I want my heated pilot house, sometimes at night I'll go up on the flybridge and stand watch, just to remember how cold it can get, doesn't take long, back to the warmth like a moth to light. I actually slept in a tent last year, on the ground, below freezing, my lady actually stayed warm, thanks to the 8" loft of a good down bag. After that trip I gave most of my gear to my 27 year old daughter, she's in her hey day. Me I'm back on that nice mattress.

Bottom line is, with the right experience, tolerance and equipment....

Pretty meager land or boat camping can be quite comfy.

The trouble is that conditions can quickly change the meager environment for better or worse without a lot of effort put in.

But again, with the right experience...that includes what to take, when and where to go...primitive camping isn't all that uncomfy.

Like a night sleeping under the stars on the beach, right time, place and experience level makes it a pretty nice experience.

Younger with children, roughing it in both scenarios.

Older now and mostly just the two of us with friends, dinner cruises, longer overnighters... we want more comforts, and zero camping.

For example the Bose Lifestyle system went out last weekend. I just ordered a replacement a few minutes ago!! Can't go without Barefoot Man!

Up until my mid-50s, almost all my camping was done backpacking. Since then, "camping" has been in cabins and Best Westerns.

My parents started letting me hike solo overnight in the mountains when I was about 12 years old, even in winter. Camping for me is not in a campground.

Sea kayaking was like car camping compared to back packing.

Badger is completely over the top luxuriousness in comparison!

Last edited:
Diesel stove, pump water, teeny tiny fridge. Yup. I'm camping.

Attachments

• galley.jpg
    galley.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
You know what's crazy is I used to think that a 2nd head on a small(ish) boat was just a waste of space. Now that I have 2 heads, what a luxury that is. Guests can have their own head or I can still use a head when mama is back there doing what she does to make her pretty(er). So yes, having 2 heads aboard is definitely not camping.

Camping? Heck yes. I am 61 and still camp in a small tent on a pad and stumble up and out to pee while gazing at the stars. I have backpacked the Pacific Trail for weeks. My wife, kids and I used to camp for two weeks at 7000 feet every year.

Heck, WifeyB, I bet my three kids were all conceived.......while camping.

Still looking for a boat I can stand up in.

I'm pretty content either minimalist or luxury, and have spent a little time in the Sierras in a tent, but I always wanted my wife to share my love of boating. A quote she likes is, "My idea of camping is a night at the Ahwahnee Hotel." Hence the boat with most of the creature comforts...
And I'll admit that one of our best improvements was a new softer mattress! I think I'm getting old! :)

Last edited:
Wifey B: Heresy. :rofl:

I think some of the tv and computer love may be generational. I don't know. Growing up we had rabbit ears and 3 snowy stations and I didn't watch because I preferred to be in my bedroom. But since then I'm an addict. NBA playoffs right now. I love to see that. We like to follow our teams. We won't alter our entire schedule to do so. And there are silly shows I love. Shows educated people aren't supposed to like. They're great escape. I'd feel so deprived without tv.

We're on the computer and watching Mystery Diner's we had DVR'ed and eating a light lunch. We're chilling today and tomorrow since we head back north to the boat this weekend.

Wifey,
I don't have a problem w TV on an i-pad or laptop. I never watch TV on either ... I'm talk'in about a flat screen on the bulkhead. I watch plenty of TV and can't be a minimalist there. What I meant was if one spends a lot of time on a boat doing other stuff perhaps tons of money is being wasted on the boat?

But why would'nt one be on deck or reading a cruising guide about where you're going, honeing your skills on radar or other boating related things?

Actually the only thing that irritates me re this issue is fads and pop stuff that exists only because it's cool at the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom