FYI..Super Yacht Fires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe this is an unworthy thought, but owners hard pressed for cash, and the word 'insurance' sort of unwillingly pop into my mind. Surely not... :nonono:

Yes...I admit...wicked thought, but these are boats equiped with all the best of automatic fire suppression systems, etc, surely, and hardly have their heating and cooking via propane etc, so really...dropped cigarettes..? :eek:

Last edited:
The only downside is to insurance companies, many benefit from these fires from owners, to fire companies, to those who build new super yachts to those supplying all the components. And the marine salvage business. See many would be out of work otherwise.
As long as they are careful not to kill anyone, and keep secret the owners setting these fires get rewarded with cash and new yachts. :rofl:

Selfish though for them to set fire to their boats at docks. Maybe the other guys superyacht is not yet ready for the fire.

Last edited:
Although it's not a super yacht I did benifit from a fire, got my dream boat for not a lot.

The number one reason is electrical problems, typically very old or very poorly done wiring. Typically short cuts taken. Also, electrical includes shorting of appliances. Number one problem appliance is toasters. Both toasters and toaster ovens. They should never be left plugged in when not in use. Other reasons are much like homes. Food left on the range in the galley, cigarettes in the stateroom. Improper storage of propane is sometimes a cause.

There are a lot of poorly maintained super yachts out there, super yachts that aren't so super.

Good article Mule. Seems to counter the always popular arson talk, citing reasoning along the lines of BB's comment about age and lack of necessary maintenance.

Good article Mule. Seems to counter the always popular arson talk, citing reasoning along the lines of BB's comment about age and lack of necessary maintenance.

I've reviewed available information on many sinkings and fires. After reviewing about 10 or 12 in total, there was only one that I was suspicious of being an intentional sinking. Most just don't fit the pattern of arson or intentional sinking. People don't set their boats on fire on the sea with their families aboard. Also, at a marina, arson is fairly easy to prove. The accelerant used leaves a pattern. Just like arson of a home or warehouse or car (the easiest to prove generally). Insurers are well aware of the patterns and signs. There are the occasional boat arsons and intentional sinkings but generally not super yachts. Then there's the suspicious theft such as the one in Dania a few months ago. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that boat was sunk or set fire as an act of revenge. That's the other part of it, arson is generally accompanied by anger or desire to get back at someone.

Back
Top Bottom