Mmc 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Savalla

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pelican
Vessel Make
MMC
Hi, in the process of purchasing a MMC 42. It has no genset/generator. Has a D battery for starting and 6 golfcarts for house. It has a Xantrex 30 Inverter. Does anyone have a vessel this size with no genset/generator? I was going to carry a portable generator as a back up until I'm comfortable with the system. I am leaving 30 yrs of sail for this boat. Any Tips or suggestions appreciated.

Unless you want to run an air conditioner at anchor, and in your climate you don't need to, then there is no compelling reason to have a genset.

I owned a new Mainship 34T from 2006 to 2010 and kept it in Long Beach. Our standard trip was over to Avalon or Two Harbors on Catalina Island where we took a mooring for 1, 2 or 3 nights. I never felt like I needed A/C. I had four GC batteries which would last for 3 days and stay above 50% charged.

So with 6 GC batteries, you can hang out for 4-5 days at anchor. If you want to hang out longer, install a couple of more batteries before worrying about the lack of a genset.

David

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "Any Tips or suggestions appreciated." Only one. Don't go back to sail.

Gen set? Gen set? We don need no stinking gen set!

Apologies to Treasure of Sierra Madre

Just how you keep the big user, the reefer setup on the hook ,will determine weather you need a noisemaker.

For many , even with minor air cond a Honda does fill the bill.

Unless you want to run an air conditioner at anchor, and in your climate you don't need to, then there is no compelling reason to have a genset.

So with 6 GC batteries, you can hang out for 4-5 days at anchor. If you want to hang out longer, install a couple of more batteries before worrying about the lack of a genset.

David

X2

Thanks to all. Looking forward to testing it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom