Raymarine Raystar GPS Units Have A Battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I have purchased at least three Raymarine Raystar GPS units because they just quit working. I sold my boat that had the unit and now I find out that there is a small 2032 battery in the GPS head. Here is a quote from someone who has actually replaced one of these batteries and saved having to buy a new $300.00 GPS unit.

Get a small phillips screwdriver and a multimeter if you have one. On the bottom of the unit there is a foam gasket. It has a fairly heavy plastic base on the foam. DO NOT PEEL AWAY JUST THE FOAM - peel away the foam ALONG WITH the heavy (clear) plastic. It should come off the GPS including the adhesive leaving the GPS not sticky.
There are 6 Phillips head screws holding the GPS together. Take out those screws and the GPS should come apart. The battery is in a slot on the board. You can check it with your multimeter. Mine was flat 0V. Replace with a new CR2032 positive side up as shown by the + sign on the battery slot.
Put back together carefully. Note, there is an o-ring that keeps the unit sealed. I had trouble with the o-ring slipping under the board. You don't want that. I had to put a tiny bit of teflon grease on the inside of the GPS cover where it contacts the o-ring to allow it to slip together easily. Make sure the board is all the way down and the o-ring is not trapped under the board at all, even a little will make it impossible to put back together correctly. Also note there are alignment marks on the top cover and the base - a small arrow on the base and a dot on the cover. This is so the LED lens lines up with the LED.
Hold everything together and put the 6 screws back in. The base should be flush inside the cover. If not, the o-ring is probably out of position. Take it apart and fix it.
Hope this helps someone save a few bucks.

Back
Top Bottom