Water Tanks - Repair/Replace - Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To my untrained eye, it appears these tanks will shift in rough seas, but I'm probably wrong.

Did you find a new solution for attaching the posts besides the aforementioned household adhesive/sealant? If the strap is attached to a weakened upright, then the strap is only as strong as the post attachment.

I see the one post is lagged into the base. Is the base attached to the floor and wall?

Yes... would always be concerned about tanks shifting... but the strap seemed like the most efficient solution.

The latex glue is not nautical but it is good for 200-psi shear - plenty for a 10-square inch baseplate against 350-lbs... especially with a through-bolt anchor at the top of the post through the deck beam. That 350-lb load is not a point load either - the force is distributed across several attachment locations.

The lag on the ply base is just to keep it from scooting around - there are also screws for the base on the bulkhead side.

I'm open to future mods if I don't like the performance of the system as installed.

I recently purchased a 36’ Marine Trader. It has (3) water tanks totaling 150 gals. The center tank is much larger than the hatch hole. Someone suggested that this was all installed before the top of the fiberglass hull was attached, and allows ZERO room in the lazaretto for maintenance. I’ve been having a hard time finding a knowledgeable and available boat person (which seems odd since I am on Lake Union). Any thoughts???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom