Re-treating Sunbrella

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That stuff does a spectacular job of restoring water repellency to your canvas. One caveat is that even small spots will make your deck incredibly slippery.

I use 303 every other year on my Bimini top. I remove it, take it home, spread it out on the driveway, scrub it with soap and water, then spray it down with 303. Works well.

I use 303 here in the PNW where is does rain once in a while. It beads up and runs off nicely.

John...

Good video resource.
Note: I posted a file in the Library - Misc Sunbrella Cleaning & Care
That includes some tips from the 303 tech Rep.

One important tip he passed on to me is the importance of Temp - The hotter you can get the 303 and fabric being treated the better (short of using heat gun etc). At the factory the treatment is done in a closely controlled heated environment which is difficult/impossible to duplicate at home.

Placing the fabric and 303 liquid in the hot sun prior to & during treatment makes a significant difference. I used to treat my canvas in the garage - out of any wind - wrong approach (in the shade) and the water repellent quality difference is noticeable.

The 303 rep also cautions against simply draping the canvas over a flat surface - picnic table etc - best to suspend it between supports or over 2 lines to allow air flow to both sides. Quick dry time is desirable and if the fabric & 303 is hot to start a fine mist almost drys instantly.

Don -- thanks for the tip about the temp. Never knew that. Well, one (good?) thing about the Florida sun in July and August is that it will give you just all the temp anyone could possibly want! :)

Greetings,
While I fully understand 303 is the recommended waterproofing treatment for Sunbrella, isn't there anything else at all available, cheaper? My canvas guy does not use 303 (according to him) and the product HE uses seems to act and last as long as 303. Alas, he will NOT tell me what he uses.

I do, in fact know, that there are some products that will damage Sunbrella and am loathe to experiment.

Don -- thanks for the tip about the temp. Never knew that. Well, one (good?) thing about the Florida sun in July and August is that it will give you just all the temp anyone could possibly want! :)

I solved the problem w/ cool NE - current boat has NO canvas to clean / treat! :dance:

Greetings,
While I fully understand 303 is the recommended waterproofing treatment for Sunbrella, isn't there anything else at all available, cheaper? My canvas guy does not use 303 (according to him) and the product HE uses seems to act and last as long as 303. Alas, he will NOT tell me what he uses.

I do, in fact know, that there are some products that will damage Sunbrella and am loathe to experiment.

RTF...

Have you tried waterboarding? :rofl: - the applicator not the canvas! - I hear it can be effective for getting info :hide:

Sure others available... I've used the Starbrite stuff and had pretty good results.
Experimenting shouldn't be a problem as a thorough cleaning tends to remove any treatment... I'd say - stay away from anything w/ Silicone and the brush / roll-on "tent" waterproofing found in camping stores in round Gal cans.

You don't need to use a lot of 303 - the fine mist is preferable to a soaking spray so even w/ 2-3 "coats" you don't need a lot of material.
Bottom line 303 by the gal isn't that much more than most of the other treatments so the difference in $ wasn't a big deal in the whole scheme of things.

Last edited:
Greetings,

RT, we use Aqua-Tite on all canvas and Sunbrella. It works well in our very rainy town of Sitka. The local canvas shop sells it. Our boat cover is Sunbrella and it works fine with no damage.

My trawler is a 2002 model and the Sunbrella still looks brand new. Oh wait, that's right, I don't have any. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1458748829.485920.jpg

RT, we use Aqua-Tite on all canvas and Sunbrella. It works well in our very rainy town of Sitka. The local canvas shop sells it. Our boat cover is Sunbrella and it works fine with no damage.

I used Aqua-Tite once and found it very effective as a water repellent...
I have discontinued using it based on advice from a canvas shop owner...
The explanation offered was that silcone based treatments tend to attract and hold dirt resulting in shorter life and difficulty in cleaning the canvas.

I switched to 303 FabricGuard and advise others to go with Sunbrella manufacturer's recommendation. It may be a little more expensive but canvas aint cheap and anything that will prolong the life is probably worth the added $.
Cheap in the whole scheme of things

I switched to 303 FabricGuard and advise others to go with Sunbrella manufacturer's recommendation. It may be a little more expensive but canvas aint cheap and anything that will prolong the life is probably worth the added $.
Cheap in the whole scheme of things

+1. Cheap can be expensive.

I'm shipping my canvas to jwnall this summer since his climate is more conducive to a good result :)

I never knew about the temp difference, good to know Thanks!

RTF...once the fabric is about the point in life it is hanging in there but not new enough to use the expensive stuff...

Myself and plenty of friends have had success with Thompsons Water Seal..the stuff for decks applied with a garden sprayer...lighter colors may experience spotting, medium blue through black seem fine.

While Thompsons may not be as good as 303...I also have seen no negatives such as accelerated deterioration. Never have...but maybe I'll be looking at the MSDS....

Cheaper and people report mixed results...probably like the tips to apply 303 when warm....warm and thorough saturation...what can it hurt when you are just looking for a few more years...otherwise...I would spend a couple hundred on protection every year if I was protecting good canvas worth many thousands...kinda like other maintenance maxims suggested here.

Last edited:
psneld adds a good point - age of canvas may alter your choice of treatment if you are looking to save a little and less concerned w/ long term affects.

Only caution to using alternatives would be to read the directions carefully & completely as some of the alternatives are safe to use on synthetics and some are meant for natural fabrics only (e.g. Canvak canvas treatment)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom