Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical and Electronics & Navigation (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/)
-   -   Cobra Wire (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/cobra-wire-24987.html)

angus99 03-03-2016 06:43 AM

Cobra Wire

Anyone familiar with them? They have attractive prices and the specs on size 8 marine cable and larger look good. I'm getting ready for some significant rewiring and these guys are cheaper than GenuineDealz, plus they're 20 miles from my door.

Extra Flexible Marine Battery Cable | Cobra Wire & Cable, A Division of EIS, Inc.

mbevins 03-03-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angus99 (Post 420635)
Anyone familiar with them? They have attractive prices and the specs on size 8 marine cable and larger look good. I'm getting ready for some significant rewiring and these guys are cheaper than GenuineDealz, plus they're 20 miles from my door.

Extra Flexible Marine Battery Cable | Cobra Wire & Cable, A Division of EIS, Inc.

Go for it.
They are the exclusive supplier for cable to my integration company. Great product and people. Needless to say that's what I used for my inverter install. The web site for my company is innovasys1.com .
I tell you this NOT to troll for business as we're strictly industrial but so you can gauge how much of this we buy.

caltexflanc 03-03-2016 09:13 AM

There was some on my Hatt from a PO, and it seemed like good quality stuff.

Nomad Willy 03-03-2016 10:25 AM

angus,
Is this #8 "marine wire" tin coated copper w many strands? That's what I got for my new anchor capstan.

What is considered "marine"?
# of strands, wire material, coating and sheathing is probably all considered to be labeled marine. Is there a standard or is this basically a rule of thumb.

On my winch I crimped the connection under the deck and soldered the ends on deck that attach to two exposed studs on the end of the winch motor.

Except for using #8 wire I followed nose on this one. What could I have done to make the winch installation more suited for marine use?

N4712 03-03-2016 12:36 PM

It's good wire, but iv'e found it less flexible then Pacer and Ancor.

angus99 03-03-2016 04:29 PM

Thanks, all. They're going to send me some samples so I'll give it a look.

Eric, I'm looking for everything from 4/0 to 16. I'll use number 8 for bonding. Others would be better to ask about your winch wiring, but -- based on everything I've read, my criteria for wire is Type III tinned, stranded copper built to a BC5W2 standard.

angus99 03-03-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbevins (Post 420657)
Go for it.
They are the exclusive supplier for cable to my integration company. Great product and people. Needless to say that's what I used for my inverter install. The web site for my company is innovasys1.com .
I tell you this NOT to troll for business as we're strictly industrial but so you can gauge how much of this we buy.

Impressive site, mbevins! With all that volume, I don't suppose you have a few surplus rolls laying around for a one-time Brantford boy, do you? 😄

what_barnacles 03-04-2016 09:19 PM

I cant seem to find anyone that retails the cobra wire?

these guys seem to have some good prices. Marine Wire, Boat Wiring & Marine Electrical - BestBoatWire.com

mbevins 03-04-2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by what_barnacles (Post 421207)
I cant seem to find anyone that retails the cobra wire?

these guys seem to have some good prices. Marine Wire, Boat Wiring & Marine Electrical - BestBoatWire.com

It's not a retail item. Go to their website and look for distribution.
It's primarily an Industrial product.

OreWa 03-05-2016 08:58 AM

I'm in no way affiliated with them but Fisheries Suppy in Seattle carries Cobra wire and cable. I'm doing a similar project so have been getting lots of wire. Agree that Blue Sea Systems makes a great product. Also through FS.
Stan

angus99 03-05-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OreWa (Post 421315)
I'm in no way affiliated with them but Fisheries Suppy in Seattle carries Cobra wire and cable. I'm doing a similar project so have been getting lots of wire. Agree that Blue Sea Systems makes a great product. Also through FS.
Stan

Thanks, Stan. Just so I'm clear, are you using Cobra Wire? If so, are you happy with it in a boating application? Do you share Oliver's opinion on the stiffness?

psneeld 03-05-2016 09:08 AM

The little I have used does a bit seem stiffer as if the insulation was a stiffer plastic....but still very usable.

what_barnacles 03-05-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OreWa (Post 421315)
Stan

Thanks, I'm always on the lookout for a better deal. Looks to me that bestboatwire still has the best prices for retail wire.

OreWa 03-05-2016 08:09 PM

Using Cobra and Ancor. Cobra is a bit stiffer but no so much that it's been any issue.

N4712 03-06-2016 07:08 AM

I've found the stiffness to be no problem, sometimes I prefer it.

angus99 03-06-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OreWa (Post 421480)
Using Cobra and Ancor. Cobra is a bit stiffer but no so much that it's been any issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by N4712 (Post 421551)
I've found the stiffness to be no problem, sometimes I prefer it.

Great. Now it's just down to price. Thanks.

caltexflanc 03-06-2016 08:42 AM

"Marine" wire we will be labeled "Boat Cable" on the jacket along with the UL 1426 rating number and USCG designation.

what_barnacles 03-06-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltexflanc (Post 421574)
"Marine" wire we will be labeled "Boat Cable" on the jacket along with the UL 1426 rating number and USCG designation.

I will make a point of looking at the ancor flat cable I have. I dont recall "Boat Cable" being on the stamping. Not saying it isnt there, just that the term feels too generic for some reason.

angus99 03-06-2016 09:24 AM

BC5W2 is another UL standard, apparently. I have seen it described as "boat cable," not "boat capable."

To add more to this discussion, it looks like Cobra markets a couple versions of boat cable, one of which meets the ASTM B172 standard, which is identified as "rope lay" flexibility. The devil seems to be in the details.

mbevins 03-06-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angus99 (Post 421588)
BC5W2 is another UL standard, apparently. I have seen it described as "boat cable," not "boat capable."

To add more to this discussion, it looks like Cobra markets a couple versions of boat cable, one of which meets the ASTM B172 standard, which is identified as "rope lay" flexibility. The devil seems to be in the details.

That's what I was referring to and assumed you meant back in my original post.