Watts to amps calculator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just remember PIE or P = IE, Then re-arrange to find the missing term.

Power (watts) = Current(amps) x Volts
or
Current(amps) = Power(watts) / Volts
or
Volts = Power(watts) / Current(amps)

VAW=Volt x Amps=Watts
Regular math after that, or see TG's version above.

Just remember PIE or P = IE, Then re-arrange to find the missing term.

Power (watts) = Current(amps) x Volts
or
Current(amps) = Power(watts) / Volts
or
Volts = Power(watts) / Current(amps)

+1

I noticed that the calculator also solves 3 phase AC with the power factor of the load. Not quite as easy as the DC case!

Richard

Maybe I missed it in the nice calculator, but - another complication to remember:

If you're figuring amp draw from batteries when using a 120V device through an inverter, add 10-15% to your amp calculations for inverter inefficiencies.

Maybe I missed it in the nice calculator, but - another complication to remember:

If you're figuring amp draw from batteries when using a 120V device through an inverter, add 10-15% to your amp calculations for inverter inefficiencies.

Excellent point. One good reason to have an amp meter and a battery monitor. It will vary with how much a load is on it. Most converters I am familiar with publish their efficiency as a spec. For instance my Magnum MS4024 was rated at 93.7% peak at 1400 watts. They publish a curve showing efficiency over various draws, in this case down to 85% at maximum wattage of 4000, with the drop off sharpening at 3000.

I always tell boating-type people to remember the acronym WAVe - W = A x V.

Whichever acronym you choose, the math is all the same, and incredibly easy for anyone who was brought up before they invented calculators.

As for the rest, I suppose they're bound to use an app for that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom