Active fin stabilzers - cost.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonza

Veteran Member
Hi Y´all. Wondering about cost adding hydraulic fin stabs to a 49 RPH DeFever w. twin FL 135´s. One engine is already kinda busy powering a (via a small hydraulic pump) auxilary 175 A 12 V alternator. Also has a small Westerbeke. Waddaya think. Heard many good things about Canuk Key Power but not sure about service/parts in the Med. Would like to go as big fins as possible (slow boat) Opinions, anybody?

Cheers - Jonas

Thread is supposed to say stabilizers, haha.

Last edited:
Much will depend on labor costs. The equipment will cost $30k-$40k, then the cost to install. If there is a clear location then costs will be less, but if you have to move stringers, adjust bulkheads, or make other modes to make space, it will be more costly. I'd figure on $50-$75k, and celebrate the lower number if you hit it.

Hi Y´all. Wondering about cost adding hydraulic fin stabs to a 49 RPH DeFever w. twin FL 135´s. One engine is already kinda busy powering a (via a small hydraulic pump) auxilary 175 A 12 V alternator. Also has a small Westerbeke. Waddaya think. Heard many good things about Canuk Key Power but not sure about service/parts in the Med. Would like to go as big fins as possible (slow boat) Opinions, anybody?

Cheers - Jonas

Thread is supposed to say stabilizers, haha.

Why don't you just ask the people who install them on a regular basis.

ABT-TRAC

Certainly doable on a 49 RPH. Some posts above nailed it re costs.

But another perspective: I asked the local ABT-TRAC agents in Australia for pricing. They quoted $100,000 ex: factory gate in CA. Then there would have been freight, import duty/GST plus installation. And this was at a time when A$ was at parity with US$. Absolutely crazy!

So I installed Naiad's in the US before bringing the boat back to Oz. Materials were a touch over $30k, installation about the same.

So, where you are and who does the work will likely make a difference.

My advice would be to stick to one of the brands I noted above. There are other manufacturers. There are folks around with on-going maintenance issues. Folks with Naiad's or ABT just keep smiling and tell everyone how wonderful, no make that essential, they are.

That's a lot of money for active stabilization, might want to look into passive, I read a few TF members that have done it quite successfully.

That's a lot of money for active stabilization, might want to look into passive, I read a few TF members that have done it quite successfully.

Yeah I think some here have installed passive for the $10-15k range. That makes sense to me. Not as convenient, but less ongoing maintenance and less invasive install I would think.

On the maintenance side. We have Naiads, changing the seals every third year is really about it on large maintenance. No biggie. Do it when you're out for bottom paint. And yes we love them. They make the boat feel as if she's much larger the way they increase stability.

I've never understood people's complaints about maintence issues with active stabilizers. You do the seals every few years, flush the cooler every year or so and change the filter once in a while. Big deal.

No Mast! Hi! Mark Tilden told me he is very happy w. Keypower - like no seal changing, ever, full stop. That plus rubber fins sounds really cool to me! Jonas Lundström. Also, going passive - 10-15 k USD sounds an awful lot for two booms, hinges, wire and such,and, oh yeah, an 2 x foldable "fish".

Thanks all of You for replies. - Jonas.

Last edited:
Keep your eye out for a DF that already has active stabilizers. You might find newer vessel already set up the way you'd like it. And providing an overall better use of funds.

Prior to buying my Krogen 54 I looked at a number of full displacement boats with and without stabilizers. After some research I decided that I wanted a boat that already had them installed since the cost to retrofit was very high.

Richard

OkiDoke. Been in contact with Key Power, now Kobelt, whom insure me their products are backed-upped all through east and west Med. (Adriatic, Ionian, Agean ... they had no answer). Also, nobody iStill would love some Med/European feedback.

Jonas Lundström

Re Stabilizer maintenance. I don't get all who question either the cost or frequency of maintenance of active stabilizers. We have 9 sq ft ABT-Trac and have never had so much as a single issue in going on 5 years. If you want real experience, read the MV Dirona blog. They put some 7,000+ hours on the Dirona, with the fins always on, including two 3,000 mile plus crossings and had virtually zero issues. At over 7,000 hrs, they had to change one hydraulic actuator, a less than 30 minute job done while underway with the other fin still working. That kind of reliability is hard to beat. And to add, ABT-Trac's customer service is outstanding if you ever do need it.

Back
Top Bottom