auto pilot needs zeroing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithmilton

Veteran Member
we have an old style hydraulic steering autopilot.....it is out by 110 degrees....works great if you adjust accordingly but is it a simple fix to zero it?

What brand?

Usually in set up adjustments...but as you can see...it will hold course just fine...just don't worry about the heading if you don't need it as a backup compass.

we have an old style hydraulic steering autopilot.....it is out by 110 degrees....works great if you adjust accordingly but is it a simple fix to zero it?

Don't know what an old style is. A few details would help, like what model of AP for starters. Then, what heading sensor. Etc. Have you gotten the books out yet?

If it holds a straight line and you can steer with the AP wheel, then you may have a good working unit that needs nothing more than TLC.

t is out by 110 degrees....works great if you adjust accordingly but is it a simple fix to zero it?

I messed up my SIMRAD AP24 by installing a small pump too close to the flux gate unit - threw my AP off - different amounts at different headings.

I moved the pump and went through a re-calibration process that was outlined in the manual... All back to normal after.

My old AP was calibrated by pulling the course knob out and turning to re-cal the heading.

Brand would help, and how does it get its heading?

WoodFreeman? How old are you talking about? The oldies had a center knob (that you adjusted desired course with) and you simply pulled UP the knob and rotated the upper dial to the correct position. BUT, this is not accurate. You'd be lucky to get the azimuth within 5 degrees. But.... better than 110!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom