Checklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktdtx

Guru
Vessel Make
24" El Pescador
I think there was some discussion about "checklists" but I searched and found only a little.
I know many will do things differently but everything is adaptable to the individual and the boat.

Anyone have good checklists for things like:
1-things to do before leaving the boat in the slip for a few weeks
2-things to do when returning to boat after a few weeks
3-before startup checklist

Things like that...want to avoid killing batteries, filling the boat full of water...small stuff like that.

Thanks
Ken

Don't have my boat checklist anymore... but here's the one for my fifth wheel trailer..it may inspire your formatting... Made it on a spreadsheet so I can easily change things. Just start with what's off the top of your head and fine tune as you go......

Items I remember from the boat......(to be performed before/during/after etc)

Thru Hulls (closed for storage, open as needed underway)
Electrical System Configuration
Hatches
Bilge Pump(s)/High Water Alarm(s) Check
Oil
Coolant
Shaft Log Seal
Nav Lights
Fridge Door (locked, cracked when off)
Loose Items Secured
Docklines
Fenders

etc......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 2.01.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 2.01.17 PM.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Yes, a engine start checklist and a before departing the dock checklist.

Check List

After 23,000 hours of using a check list I know its worth. And it can always be improved. Most accidents are because of not following the check list or thinking you are so smart you do not need it. The others are because some one was trying to save money.

And it can always be improved.

Yes, we have people paid to make those improvements, although sometimes I wonder if they just change things to look busy and keep their job. :banghead:

I try to leave my boat in ready to go condition. Start engine, unplug shore power, turn on inverter, throw off lines and go.

Before long trips I do very thorough checkouts, and do the same every couple of months.

Not much more to it than a car propulsion system.

I check the oil and coolant level before starting the engine. Checking the bilge for water that doesn't belong there is a good idea.

I'm sure there are checklists out there but different boats and boaters are different so if you want a list, you might as well make it yourself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom