Advice on Sentry battery charger problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbliska

Vessel Name
Anna Christine
Vessel Make
GB 36 classic
Hi,
I'm looking for advice on troubleshooting a problem with the Sentry battery charger (model G140-3NL) on my 1983 Grand Banks. Several times this past season I arrived at the Marina to find that the charger circuit breaker on the main electrical panel had been tripped and the batteries were nearly discharged. It seemed to work fine when I re-set the breaker and the batteries recharged normally then after a few day while I was away during the work week it would trip again.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it's original to the boat **** can it and get a new modern multi-stage charger that treats your batteries right.

My guess is the regulator circuit is going to hell. Check your water levels. I had the same charger. You really need to replace it. Mine started boiling batteries. I repaired once and a year later another problem. 32 years time to say goodbye.

Despite my friend Bill's opinion, Sentrys are actually pretty good chargers. Mine did a beautiful job of maintaining two 32 volt banks on the Hatteras. One thing that makes them good is they are completely field serviceable; most factory certified CruiseAir
technicians can fix them. The customer service is pretty good over the phone too. The last number I have for them is 804-746-1313. I am not familiar with the G series chargers, so best to contact them. It may be as simple as having a blown DC fuse.

PS: Bevins, replacing the control board usually works better than trying the calibration routine.

Despite my friend Bill's opinion, Sentrys are actually pretty good chargers. Mine did a beautiful job of maintaining two 32 volt banks on the Hatteras. One thing that makes them good is they are completely field serviceable; most factory certified CruiseAir
technicians can fix them. The customer service is pretty good over the phone too. The last number I have for them is 804-746-1313. I am not familiar with the G series chargers, so best to contact them. It may be as simple as having a blown DC fuse.

PS: Bevins, replacing the control board usually works better than trying the calibration routine.

Yes you are probably correct.
Somewhat moot point now though as I replaced it when I installed the new inverter system.

Thank You all for the advice. I assume thats its the origional charger but i dont know for sure. It does shut down and a light on the front illuminates when the batteries are fully charged so I dont think its boiling them

Before tearing into the charger and blaming it Check the circuit breaker.
They have springs, levers, pivots and they do fail, reliable as they are.

Something might be going haywire inside the breaker. Cheapest way is usually simply install a new breaker of the same rating. Small ones such as these cannot be repaired.

Before tearing into the charger and blaming it Check the circuit breaker.
They have springs, levers, pivots and they do fail, reliable as they are.

Something might be going haywire inside the breaker. Cheapest way is usually simply install a new breaker of the same rating. Small ones such as these cannot be repaired.

This.

Back
Top Bottom