Ok guys, help me out here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdude

Since i have caught the Trawler bug, I have been reading anything and everything I can get my hands on. My future plans are to retire early and move to a live aboard, probably based in the southern Great Lakes in the summer and move to the south for the winter. Definitely plan on doing the loop at some point. I have spent endless hours on Yacthworld looking and trying to decide what boat fits all of my requirements. Most important is the fact I am 6'4" tall and would like something that I am not going to have to duck everywhere i go inside the boat. Below is a list of things I would "like" to have, I know there isn't any boat that will met all of my requirements but one that would meet most would work.

So this is really just an exercise to point me in the right direction,I am open to any and all suggestions.

* single screw diesel
* aft cabin center queen
* cockpit or sundeck for evening relaxing
* upper and lower helms (enclosed upper)
* side decks and beam door for easy access for
single handing
* decent sized Saloon
* 36-42 in length
* Price under $80,000 ( age is not a s much an issue as condition)

I am open to other options but this is a list of things I "want". Again, this is just to gather information for a future purchase. Thanks for playing along!

* single screw diesel
* aft cabin center queen
* cockpit or sundeck for evening relaxing
* upper and lower helms (enclosed upper)
* side decks and beam door for easy access for
single handing
* decent sized Saloon
* 36-42 in length
* Price under $80,000 ( age is not a s much an issue as condition)

Depending on how you might define "decent sized saloon", items 5 and 6 are mutually exclusive in that size range. Other than that a 42' motor yacht style GB, or something like it, would fit the bill if you could find one with a single screw.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. jd. Having spent "endless hours" on YW you must have some idea of what would fit your criteria. Assuming you do, I would suggest a road trip to actually board some of these models. Florida is a mecca for boats with a great variety for sale at all price levels. Disregard the price, within reason, for the time being, take off for a couple of weeks, enjoy yourself and go have a look-see. Could be some models show well on YW but wouldn't work for you. At the same time, other models...Well, you get the idea. The worst that could happen is you'll enjoy some warm weather, meet some new people and further refine your options.
First thing I would suggest is contact a knowledgeable broker to work on your behalf (buyer's broker). Be up front, mention your budget and say you're just looking at the moment. There ARE some good brokers out there and if you establish a working relationship with one, it's a bonus for you both if and when you find "the" boat. Your broker can line up a bunch of models for you to look at when you travel south.

The "Boat Search 101" threat at the top of the Main Discussion Forum is the best place to start. Most important is to get yourself on as many vessels as you can, big and small, inside and outside of your price range. Go to the floating boat shows.

There are some good older boats available that are within your price range. But...there are dogs as well. Take your time. Too often someone buys one of the first boats they see and then find out the problems. Leaking decks, leaking tanks and poorly maintained systems are common problems. Musty smells indicate leaking decks.

Most of us are not capable enough to deal with a "project boat" so don't get sucked into that vortex unless you are capable.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Well this boat misses a few of your requests... but
If I wanted a single screw trawler for $80K or less I would buy Drifter. 42' Bristol sedan trawler with a complete refit 12 years ago, maybe 9 +/-. She just came up on yachtworld listed for sale. A friend of mine bought it 12 years ago and had the boat professionally rebuilt top to bottom. That owner was a bay pilot who knows a thing or two about boats. He did the loop, cruised a bit then sold it to this owner. Very cool boat. Salty. Stabilized.
I have not seen the boat for many years.

Charter, charter. If you're trawler shopping, the San Juans are probably the best or at least easiest and not a billion dollars and easily accessible. You hear that advice a lot I'm sure, but it's true. We did a charter in the San Juans before we bought our big boat. We had a blast, fantastic trip, but it sealed our conclusion that we're power boaters, not sail. To each his own, but we concluded that even nice, big sailboats just aren't as comfortable as power at equivalent sizes.

Chartering will teach you more about your boat preferences faster than probably anything else. What you think you like and what you actually like might be two completely different things.

Well this boat misses a few of your requests... but
If I wanted a single screw trawler for $80K or less I would buy Drifter. 42' Bristol sedan trawler with a complete refit 12 years ago, maybe 9 +/-. She just came up on yachtworld listed for sale. A friend of mine bought it 12 years ago and had the boat professionally rebuilt top to bottom. That owner was a bay pilot who knows a thing or two about boats. He did the loop, cruised a bit then sold it to this owner. Very cool boat. Salty. Stabilized.
I have not seen the boat for many years.

Do you have a link? Looked and didn't find it

Charter, charter. If you're trawler shopping, the San Juans are probably the best or at least easiest and not a billion dollars and easily accessible. You hear that advice a lot I'm sure, but it's true. We did a charter in the San Juans before we bought our big boat. We had a blast, fantastic trip, but it sealed our conclusion that we're power boaters, not sail. To each his own, but we concluded that even nice, big sailboats just aren't as comfortable as power at equivalent sizes.

Chartering will teach you more about your boat preferences faster than probably anything else. What you think you like and what you actually like might be two completely different things.

Exactly! We did this twice. First, we decided this was what we wanted to do. Second, we came to better understand our needs and wants. And there are opportunities to do this out of Comox and see Desolation Sound.

Jim

Do you have a link? Looked and didn't find it
1969 Bristol Trawler (stabilized) Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
5462206_20151201124030182_1_XLARGE.jpg

Well this boat misses a few of your requests... but If I wanted a single screw trawler for $80K or less I would buy Drifter...Very cool boat. Salty. Stabilized.

Misses a lot of the OP's list, and I agree it has some good elements.

But no lower helm (with limited visibility astern if there was one), no deck access, no significant side decks - I'm sorry, but this vessel would be impossible to single-hand. Even short-handed it would be a challenge.

Keith

The name implying both engine and ground tackle failures is a worry.

Misses a lot of the OP's list, and I agree it has some good elements.

But no lower helm (with limited visibility astern if there was one), no deck access, no significant side decks - I'm sorry, but this vessel would be impossible to single-hand. Even short-handed it would be a challenge.

Keith

Why impossible to single hand? I see guys single hand from the fly bridge quite frequently. But, with a mate no big deal. Is it an FRP hull?

Why impossible to single hand? I see guys single hand from the fly bridge quite frequently. But, with a mate no big deal. Is it an FRP hull?

You see guys single-hand into a slip (never mind pick up a mooring!) from only a flying bridge? Perhaps with thrusters to hold against the dock.

I looked again at the pictures and spotted the mid ships half-doors to the side decks - missed those before. The question is, how quickly can you get a line secured there? Exiting the bridge enclosure, descending the full height ladder, scrambling up those narrow unprotected side decks - or entering the cabin and popping out one of those doors...that's got a lot of failure potential. And then you need to go all the way back up to simply nudge the engine? Are you Spiderman?

Keith

I used to single hand into slips all the time from the flybridge of the GBs I used to run in the charter fleet. You just set your lines up ahead of time. And/or ask for a little dock help if it's real windy.

Marine Trader 36 Sundeck. You simply are not going to find boats any bigger than that with an aft cabin with a single engine. And that MT36 is not a particularly large boat. My 35 footer has significantly more space....or the space is arranged better. But I was always looking for similar boats way back when and there was one yard that made a 42 foot Sundeck with a single engine. You will occasionally find a MT40 ACMY with a single engine. A KK42 would be perfect but it is outside of your budget!

Thanks for all of the responses, keep them coming

This is really just an opportunity to see if there are other options out there that i may have overlooked. I am several years away from making a purchase but I want to take the time to dive into this and learn as much as possible so I am very prepared when the time comes.

When i search on Yachtworld, i typically just put " trawler, Aft cabin, Cockpit" etc, in the search field and look at what comes up. I really believe at this point, 36' is the minimum length i would be comfortable in, but being 6'4" tall I need to take that into account also.
Thanks again for the replies!

I used to single hand into slips all the time from the flybridge of the GBs I used to run in the charter fleet. You just set your lines up ahead of time. And/or ask for a little dock help if it's real windy.

Honestly, that's not the same at all. You had a lower helm if you needed it. You had walk around decks with rails. You probably had twins. You were probably on a "Classic" with two easy sets of steps rather than ladder. And planning to call for help if there's wind - that's not a plan in my book.

Keith

One man's way isn't always anothers....

For the average weekender...yes the boat is less than ideal to single hand.

For an experienced captain who does it all the time...less so of an issue.

So it boils down to talent, experience and what you are willing to live with.

My background...no big deal...with my back hurting or a sprained ankle...a much bigger deal..especially when the help you may have expected isn't there or doesn't follow instructions.

There's the "perfect" boat and "perfect" situation...and there's the complete opposite....saying something is easy or is impossible may just be a matter of degree....and frame of reference.

You may want to narrow down to a sun deck, Taiwanese build boat. Many options out there and some have a aft master and lots of room in the 40 ft range. Our first boat was a 40 ft Labelle, which would be a good loop boat and coastal cruiser.

Capt. Don

I may want to check out "Jenny", another Bristol trawler that was repowered and updated. It is owned by a TF member and it is in Jacksonville, Fl area (if still available). I saw it on the hard when the present owner had it hauled when he first bought it a couple of years ago. I believe he had it listed on TF classified ads.

Lots of good advice above as always. I was in the same boat as you are, but further along. I retire in 21 days and have been a livaboard since Oct 2013.

Fist get to know what options you and the admiral want. It would appear you have started this. Make a list. Go and no-go. As stated visit YW A LOT! Visit brokers in your area and get an idea what works and doesn't work. Attend boat shows and walk boats that fit your list. When you are ready to buy, the hardest urge is not to get too emotional about any boat. Be willing to WALK AWAY! When you and the Admiral look at a specific boat and you both look at each other and say "WOW" then you have just found your boat. Then process took us two years. We are very happy with our boat and it fulfilled every item on our list except one. No davit crane. Go forth, and look and look some more, but most of all have some fun......

Honestly, that's not the same at all. You had a lower helm if you needed it. You had walk around decks with rails. You probably had twins. You were probably on a "Classic" with two easy sets of steps rather than ladder. And planning to call for help if there's wind - that's not a plan in my book.

Keith

I had twins and singles. I had classics and motor yachts. Yes I had walk arounds. At least on the GBs. Other boats, no. Really only used the lower helm if there was something wrong with the upper.

Calling for dock help is not a plan!?

I agree the boat in question might be a bit tough to dock single handed at a side tie slip but it wouldn't be bad in a back situation.
Would other styles be easier? Sure. Could this boat be made to work pretty easily with modifications? Absolutely.

Last edited:
We don't need no stinkin' "flybridge." (Flying bridges were traditionally a place for observation and not where the helmsman was located.) ... Having the helmsman's position a step from deck-level, close to dock-level, makes single-handed docking easiest.

Flybridge? We ain't got no flybridge. We don't need no flybridge! I don't have to show you any stinkin' flybridge!

Last edited:
A boat with out a flybridge, is like a day without sunshine.

I mean really, who the heck wants to drive around in their living room all the time!? :D

I mean really, who the heck wants to drive around in their living room all the time!? :D

With temperatures in the fifties, it was much more comfortable today to be in a fully-enclosed pilothouse instead of a flying bridge. :D

Besides, my saloon (living room) is separate, and three feet below, from the pilothouse.

Last edited:

Me too :thumb: It's cold up here and all that extra height and weight up top is just additional windage and a heavier roll in a beam sea. If I was in a warm and sunny climate I would probably feel different about it though...

With temperatures in the fifties, it was much more comfortable today to be in a fully-enclosed pilothouse instead of a flying bridge. :D

Besides, my saloon (living room) is separate, and three feet below, from the pilothouse.

OK, so you're riding around in your den. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom