3m 5200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haylands

Vessel Name
Barefoot Lady
Vessel Make
1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Hi,

Been reading about this "fix all" stuff... Just one question, is it like Sikaflex in as much as when you open the tube it is impossible to seal it up well enough to stop it curing in the tube?? Always found no matter how well I seal up the end on Sikaflex it doesn't last... takes a few months to cure right into the tube but I haven't yet found a way to stop it...

Cheers

Thanks, must be the same type of stuff, I was advised not to use a wooden dowel as the inherent moisture in the wood would promote curing...

It's always the way that you don't need it again until it's gone hard....!!!:banghead:

Been reading about this "fix all" stuff...

It is by NO means "fix all" stuff!

It makes a permanent bond that's virtually impossible to remove without destroying whatever it's bonded to.

You will curse the day you (or worse yet, some previous owner) decided to use 5200 as a "fix all".

Trust me.

I seal it off with aa long screw ,some tape and put it in the freezer . I have used a several different caulks including 5200 . I'm sure I used 5200 where I shouldn't have . If I ever sell this boat I plan on telling the new owner every area where I used 5200 . I think it would be the nice thing to do . I wish I would've known before I started tearing things off for repair .

I've recently seen 5200 and its variants for sale in really little tubes...

Perfect for the smaller job.

Nothing better if you want something to be waterproof and strong, and there forever

5200 does not last for every, item fails not as often as most but if does fail. also with a little work you can get it a part. For area and applications that I want to last, I epoxy.

As mentioned before for small project buy the smaller tube and throw away. I usually have several small tubes and epoxy on the boat. Usually one large tube last for the summer projects. I seal with a screw but use it thru out the summer by then it's used up or ready to be thrown away. On the motor home I have 5200 and epoxy. I prefer the fast drying.

For appication I plan want to come apart I use 4200.

I always keep an unopened 1ounce tube of 5200 aboard. Use it once and toss the rest. You have to be a real man to use 5200. The stuff do stick and until it skins over, it has the ability to leap three or four feet through the air and get all over you.

Tom, I'm so disappointed in you. Afraid of a little 5200.

I've actually started reaching for a new sealant once in a while. It's made by Sudbury. It is not as strong an adhesive as 5200. It's not as messy to work with and it skins over quickly. It will also adhere to Starboard!

I always keep an unopened 1ounce tube of 5200 aboard. Use it once and toss the rest. You have to be a real man to use 5200. The stuff do stick and until it skins over, it has the ability to leap three or four feet through the air and get all over you.

Tom, I'm so disappointed in you. Afraid of a little 5200.

I've actually started reaching for a new sealant once in a while. It's made by Sudbury. It is not as strong an adhesive as 5200. It's not as messy to work with and it skins over quickly. It will also adhere to Starboard!

Most calking even 5200 cleans up easily with paint thinner until it drys skin over. Make sure you have plenty of paper towels :thumb:

It makes a permanent bond that's virtually impossible to remove without destroying whatever it's bonded to.

Not exactly. In many cases it can be removed without "destroying" what its bonded to. In fact if you can use heat on it it can be quite easy to remove.

Not exactly. In many cases it can be removed without "destroying" what its bonded to. In fact if you can use heat on it it can be quite easy to remove.

I'd sure like a few tips for removing an item secured with 5200. Can you use heat if the item is secured to fiberglass? Propane torch or heat gun? If not, how?

Thanks

If you need to remove it then this stuff works, not used it with 5200 myself but it says it does, it removes Sikaflex fine and I have an idea they are very similar...

Automotive Formula – DeBond

I use Marine Formula Debond to release both 4200 and 5200. Not one for "snake oils" this product works as advertised .

Oh, didn't know they did a Marine one (don't have a boat yet!!!)

Wonder if they are different or just different writing on the bottle...??

If I was betting I would say writing on bottle.

Once I placed a phone order for 5200, and some got in my hair!

Once I placed a phone order for 5200, and some got in my hair!

I got some on my Active Captain cap- never even tried to get it off... Just glad it didn't drop in my hair!!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

.... And today's top tip is.... don't go to the toilet when using 5200.....:rofl::rofl:

We use Life Caulk in small tubes. It has threaded caps and lasts quite a long time.
Does the small 5200 tubes have threaded plastic caps?

Eric, yes the 3 oz. and 1 oz. tubes have threaded caps. The large 10 oz. cartridges come with a screw on nozzle but no cap. I wonder if a tooth paste cap might fit the threads?

Local redneck boatsmen use a little heat and a razor blade on the stuff to break it free. And if used on the exterior, paint it to prevent UV breakdown.

The little tubes are nice but expensive in regards to their big brothers. I'm guess a lot of it's in the packaging.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. "I wonder if a tooth paste cap might fit the threads?" It's bad enough brushing with Preparation H but now you're throwing 5200 into the mix? I don't think so pal....
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Parks,
Yup .. probably an off the shelf industrial item.

Pay attention to the expiry date on the tube. When 42 0r 5200 hundred goes bad in the tube it still looks the same but will no longer cure. I found that out the hard way after putting in a new throughull ! When the Sikaflex gets past its expiry date it goes hard in the tube. I think I'll stick with Sikaflex on throughulls so I won't have to pay for an extra $500 haul out.

Pay attention to the expiry date on the tube. When 42 0r 5200 hundred goes bad in the tube it still looks the same but will no longer cure. I found that out the hard way after putting in a new throughull ! When the Sikaflex gets past its expiry date it goes hard in the tube. I think I'll stick with Sikaflex on throughulls so I won't have to pay for an extra $500 haul out.

Is that only on an opened tube or does an expired unopened tube also not cure?

Is that only on an opened tube or does an expired unopened tube also not cure?

An unopened tube, the only difference i've noted is it gets very slightly softer.
It happened to me twice. I called 3m about there product not curing and they informed me that they could not guarantee it as it was past the expiry date. Until they told me it had an expiry date I had never noticed it on the tube.

Boat poker, I've never heard of it not setting. 5200 gets hard in the tube. I've thrown away several tubes that didn't get rotated. It has a shelf life of about a year as far as I can tell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom