Cummins Electromagnetic Relay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

windmist

Guru
Vessel Name
Violet A
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
I have a spare part called a electromagnetic relay, Cummins part # 3916301. I am wondering what it is used for on the engine. I have a QSC 8.3 - 450HP on the boat.

If it fails what is going to happen? I did try and google this but no luck.

Thanks

Believe it's part of the starting circuit. On my B and C engines they were located below the starter.

Ted

That part looks like a relay for the grid heater on my 6BTA 5.9. Do the 8.3 engines use grid heaters for preheat and smoke reduction after starting?

If they do, and the relay fails, the preheat system won't work. Expect slower starts with more smoke. On my engine (6BTA 5.9, 330 hp), Cummins recommends a starting aid (i.e. preheat) any time the temperature is below 50 degrees.

The problem with the preheat system is it draws an enormous amount of power, something like 100 amps, and by default it cycles whenever the engine is running below 950 or 1000 rpm and the intake temperature is below a certain temperature. I can't remember the temperature off the top of my head, but it's something pretty high, like 90 degrees. So when you're in a long no wake area, the preheaters keep cycling, putting a huge load on the alternator creating a lot of heat in the relays. Eventually the relays fail, so it's a good thing you have a spare!

I have a switch at the helm so I can turn the preheat system off entirely. I typically use the preheaters when I start the engine in the morning, especially in winter, but quickly turn it off to avoid the big electrical drain.

Cummins use relays for two different purposes and both posters are correct. I believe it is used for both the grid heaters to reduce cold start smoking but also as the intermediate starter control relay to save the ignition switch.

If it fails and is used in the grid heater it is simply a nuisance.
If it fails and is the one in the starter circuit it could be a serious problem depending upon circumstances. There is a work around but look into it.

Not a bad idea to have a spare especially for the starter function. They are usually mounted close by the starter.

Thanks everybody for the responses. I wanted to post a picture of the relay but something happen to my ability to download a picture from my cellphone. Anyway, on checking my QSC 8.3 Cummins, it looks like one is located by the starter and there are two more that are located below and behind the aftercooler. Maybe one or both of them have something to do with the pre-heater.

I have a maintenance manual and I couldn't find a thing about how the pre-heater is wired.

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom