AC electrical upgrades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

overgill

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Altair
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy
I am looking to upgrade the AC electrical system on my 32 IG and have been looking at inverters/regulators and all that is involved to set up such systems, seems there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. I am not a newbe at this but I have found that a little research goes a long way to save grief and $$ later on.

Anyway I have been wondering around in the forum looking for ideas and there is so much info it is a bit overwhelming, however I did see a recommendation for some books that I neglected to write down and now I am unable to find the reference. Looking through Amazon there is a few that are specific to boat type electrical systems but I was hoping someone has a recommendation for some literature that they may have found helpful.

Thanks in advance

This is one of my favorite reference books that we keep on Hobo.

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems Hardcover
by Nigel Calder javascript:void(0)

Thank you Larry ,, I will check it out.

I haven't paged through Charlie Wing's book in ages. It used to be the best. Has he revised it to cover solar panels, solar controllers, inverter/chargers, etc that almost didn't exist when he first wrote it.

David

I took Larry's suggestion and got the Nigel Calder 2005 version and it gave me a much better understaning about installing an inverter. It was pretty up to date for 2005. There is a ton of info to include solar.
Its a pricey book, I cheated and got the it on line as a Kindle book.($29)

I will take a look at Charlie wing's as well. Thank you Capt. Bill

I'll second or third the Calder book. The first four chapters cover these exact issues extensively and in easy to read language. The rest of the book will come in handy sooner or later, too!

IF you will be purchasing an inverter try for one that can pass thru and boost current.

Life at a dock with only 15A becomes reasonable ,

and a far smaller noisemaker cab be selected.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom