Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Voyagers and other Boaters on the Go! (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s36/)
-   -   Kemah, Florida and beyond (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s36/kemah-florida-beyond-23186.html)

dimer2 11-07-2015 10:50 AM

Kemah, Florida and beyond
 
3 Attachment(s)
Well, we left Kemah, did final prep in Beaumont and are now in Lake Arthur Louisiana, we we had planned on over nighting. We are having so much fun that we have stayed almost a week. This is definitely a recommended stop. For those that don't want to come all the way up the river, there is an island with deep water all around it, less than a mile from the ICW on the Mermentau river, well protected and good holding. We will stay there on the way out. Next is Vermillion Bay where we will be graciously hosted by Doug of TF fame. Below are pictures of the Municipal marina ($25.00), the river and lake.

Steve 11-07-2015 12:47 PM

If you stop in Houma give me a call I'll try to get over.
Yes that island in the Mermentau River is a nice spot, we stopped there years ago.

dimer2 11-08-2015 06:54 AM

I most certainly will Steve!

ulysses 11-08-2015 07:00 AM

Dimer2: Enjoy your trip. Steve and his beautiful wife are very hospitable, you will enjoy your visit in Houma. As you pass through you may want to run up to Avery Island and see the Tobasco Plant. You should also never post about a trip through La. WITHOUT mentioning the food.
safe travels

READY2GO 11-08-2015 09:05 AM

Dimer2
I am sure we will pass each other somewhere along the way, hopefully at a nice quiet anchorage. Have a good trip.

ddalme 11-11-2015 12:27 PM

Posting for Dimer2-no wifi available, but I'm sure he'll post sometime soon. Blue, Michelle, Ray and Whitney arrived in Vermilion Bay around 1pm Monday. Blue and Michelle in their very nice 4788 Bayliner (which I love the way its laid out) and Ray and Whitney in Blues old boat the Rino(a very SALTY 46' Jarvis Newman) which will be mine if I could get Ray to part with it). I ran out in my fishing boat and escorted them into the Bayview Marine and showed them where to dock. They couldn't dock behind the camp because of their 4 1/2' draft. The shore power was not on but they had water. Weather was nice and no A/C was needed. Spent Monday surveying the harbor, checking out their trawlers, catching up on each other and just relaxing on the porch at my camp. David, my brother-in-law & deck hand on Relenti, cooked up a couple of boneless stuffed chickens and trimings for dinner and we all almost passed out from over eating:eek: Might have been the adult beverages.:whistling: I talked them into staying another night. They could take a nice shower and wash clothes, etc. before continuing on. Had to laugh as Blue said they've been gone two weeks and are averaging about 12 miles a day.:) They might get to the Bahamas in January of '17 or '18:facepalm: Who cares-they're living the dream. I'm jealous. Anyway, they left heading west on the GICW at 7am today. Thought they might stop in Morgan City or Bayou Chene for the night and then on to Houma to visit another TFer , Steve. They have no schedule as both of them are living aboard. Can't wait to see how they progress. Just want to still be alive to see them again. Wonderful and interesting friends:)

rardoin 11-11-2015 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the update DD. I was planning to meet them at Lake Arthur and treat them to a dinner at the Regatta on a return trip from Brenham/Houston Sunday, however, a Tractor Trailer had other plans. In the game of Interstate 10 Booray...18 wheeler trumps pick-up truck every time:hide:! Neither I or Anita were injured but it did screw up our plans a wee bit. I am grateful we needed to take my truck on this particular trip as we would have been in a 'low freeboard' convertible otherwise:angel::angel::angel:.

ragin cajun 11-11-2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rardoin (Post 387223)
Thanks for the update DD. I was planning to meet them at Lake Arthur and treat them to a dinner at the Regatta on a return trip from Brenham/Houston Sunday, however, a Tractor Trailer had other plans. In the game of Interstate 10 Booray...18 wheeler trumps pick-up truck every time:hide:! Neither I or Anita were injured but it did screw up our plans a wee bit. I am grateful we needed to take my truck on this particular trip as we would have been in a 'low freeboard' convertible otherwise:angel::angel::angel:.

Dang it! Glad you guys are okay! Hope that Saturday winds didn't mess with anyone in the marina. Must have blown all the water out of the point!

No Mast 11-11-2015 02:22 PM

yikes! Glad you guys were ok!

BandB 11-11-2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rardoin (Post 387223)
Thanks for the update DD. I was planning to meet them at Lake Arthur and treat them to a dinner at the Regatta on a return trip from Brenham/Houston Sunday, however, a Tractor Trailer had other plans. In the game of Interstate 10 Booray...18 wheeler trumps pick-up truck every time:hide:! Neither I or Anita were injured but it did screw up our plans a wee bit. I am grateful we needed to take my truck on this particular trip as we would have been in a 'low freeboard' convertible otherwise:angel::angel::angel:.

I know at first glance people look at it as bad luck, but when I see that truck and here you are both ok, I really look at it as your lucky day.

A young girl we knew had a wreck near us years ago that totaled her mustang. It was an area we'd seen many wrecks and she called us so we beat her parents there. I recall the policeman telling her how happy he was to see her and her passenger ok as most of the time he'd been called to that location there had been a death.

rardoin 11-11-2015 02:26 PM

Thanks. Just metal/rubber and plastic...all replaceable. Not like it was a boat ya know;). Wish Blue and the crew safe passage!

ragin cajun 11-11-2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddalme (Post 387212)
. David, my brother-in-law & deck hand on Relenti, cooked up a couple of boneless stuffed chickens and trimings for dinner and we all almost passed out from over eating:eek: Might have been the adult beverages.

Hebert's stuff chickens?

ddalme 11-11-2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragin cajun (Post 387255)
Hebert's stuff chickens?

You got it. One with shrimp and one with boudin! Never could see how you raise a boneless chicken:)
Rardoin, glad your OK

rardoin 11-11-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddalme (Post 387256)
Never could see how you raise a boneless chicken:)

That's easy...you see their bet and raise 'em $20. Just like poker with humans:D

Av8 11-11-2015 06:07 PM

https://crayfisher.files.wordpress.c...de-247x300.png

ddalme 11-11-2015 06:46 PM

:) :thumb:

dimer2 11-12-2015 06:39 PM

Wow rardoin! I sure am glad to hear you are all OK! Sorry we didn't get to meet your wife this time but will hook up again somewhere, sometime! We did manage to eat at the Regatta a few times and it was awesome. The folk there were all super friendly, even driving us to Walmart (15 miles each way) if we promised to stay another day. Had a spare overnighted to the city hall, who then carried it to the boat. Now that's hospitality!

Then it got even better.....we went to ddalme's "fish camp". This is a whole house on stilts, with no sign of any fishing rods or associated gear. I went with his brother in-law to buy fresh shrimp straight off the boats (about a 100 foot walk) and noticed that they sell fish also. His fishing stories are all now all highly suspect. However, his hospitality was second to none. We were fed at least 8 times a day and the beer (required for palate cleansing) flowed as freely as the tall stories we all told. A great time and a big thanks to you and yours Doug! Below, is a pic of the lighthouse we were instructed to 'aim at' for approach to the marina entrance. Notice it is way shorter than the electric pole. When I called Doug to explain that I could not see the 4 foot lighthouse but could see a 2000 foot cell tower, was instructed to aim at that instead as it was also by the entrance! Sorry mate, I found the logic in that funny! Once safely escorted in and to our slip, we toured the marina in Doug's awesome bay boat (see pic and notice I did not call it a 'fishing' boat!) and saw how Louisiana's rich and famous live. The 'camps' are amazing!

We managed to leave there, with freshly laundered clothes, on Wednesday. we went 13 miles across the Vermillion bay and joined the ICW, eastbound and about 5 miles later, under a bridge, there was Doug again! I goosed it, thinking he was trying to collect slip fees but all he wanted was a few last photos and another wave goodbye. What a guy!!! Ready2go went by, just before the bridge, heading west in his rather spiffy looking boat. Safe travels!


Wednesday night we stayed behind a little island, around 5 miles west of the Morgan City locks (see pic) and woke up to the rain. So this coupled with the winds of late, made for a damp and dreary trip into Houma and the Municipal docks. Steve of course, being Steve, has already made one visit to take us shopping! He is truly the Ambassador of Houma! Thanks again Steve!

The weather, the location and the fact that my sliding pilot house door has just decided to quit sliding, has me thinking we need to stay one more day as a 'maintenance day'. This should put me on the other side of the Mississippi over the weekend, which means no scheduled bridge closing for traffic and school buses and should make locking through a little easier.

I see my pics are sideways but am to tired to fix them. Duval just dropped by and visited. Thanks for stopping by!!

Sailor of Fortune 11-12-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimer2 (Post 387568)
Wow rardoin! I sure am glad to hear you are all OK! Sorry we didn't get to meet your wife this time but will hook up again somewhere, sometime! We did manage to eat at the Regatta a few times and it was awesome. The folk there were all super friendly, even driving us to Walmart (15 miles each way) if we promised to stay another day. Had a spare overnighted to the city hall, who then carried it to the boat. Now that's hospitality!

Then it got even better.....we went to ddalme's "fish camp". This is a whole house on stilts, with no sign of any fishing rods or associated gear. I went with his brother in-law to buy fresh shrimp straight off the boats (about a 100 foot walk) and noticed that they sell fish also. His fishing stories are all now all highly suspect. However, his hospitality was second to none. We were fed at least 8 times a day and the beer (required for palate cleansing) flowed as freely as the tall stories we all told. A great time and a big thanks to you and yours Doug! Below, is a pic of the lighthouse we were instructed to 'aim at' for approach to the marina entrance. Notice it is way shorter than the electric pole. When I called Doug to explain that I could not see the 4 foot lighthouse but could see a 2000 foot cell tower, was instructed to aim at that instead as it was also by the entrance! Sorry mate, I found the logic in that funny! Once safely escorted in and to our slip, we toured the marina in Doug's awesome bay boat (see pic and notice I did not call it a 'fishing' boat!) and saw how Louisiana's rich and famous live. The 'camps' are amazing!

We managed to leave there, with freshly laundered clothes, on Wednesday. we went 13 miles across the Vermillion bay and joined the ICW, eastbound and about 5 miles later, under a bridge, there was Doug again! I goosed it, thinking he was trying to collect slip fees but all he wanted was a few last photos and another wave goodbye. What a guy!!! Codger II went by, just before the bridge, heading west in his rather spiffy looking boat. Safe travels Codger!


Wednesday night we stayed behind a little island, around 5 miles west of the Morgan City locks (see pic) and woke up to the rain. So this coupled with the winds of late, made for a damp and dreary trip into Houma and the Municipal docks. Steve of course, being Steve, has already made one visit to take us shopping! He is truly the Ambassador of Houma! Thanks again Steve!

The weather, the location and the fact that my sliding pilot house door has just decided to quit sliding, has me thinking we need to stay one more day as a 'maintenance day'. This should put me on the other side of the Mississippi over the weekend, which means no scheduled bridge closing for traffic and school buses and should make locking through a little easier.

I see my pics are sideways but am to tired to fix them. Duval just dropped by and visited. Thanks for stopping by!!

Thats what cruising is all about. I think you got a better than expected experience!

dimer2 11-12-2015 07:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
From sideways pics to no pics....oh well, lets try just 2 pics...

The 'tour' boat, used for meeting tourists and guiding them to their slips and the lighthouse, affectionately known as 'Stubby' by the locals :)

ddalme 11-12-2015 08:22 PM

:blush::blush:Thanks for the kind words-I really enjoyed the visit. My Son told my wife that ya'll were regular folks-he really enjoyed the visit, also. I'm really glad I got to see the new 4788 again and the Jarvis Newman-Now that is what I call a "salty" boat. I know you must have had a hard time leaving it. Hope your adventure keeps you safe and happy. "Living the dream"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012