Mainship 34 Waste Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The guys I know that have done that put it under the galley/V berth floor.

Ours was a "Traveler" thing, only 9 gallons I thought. Something like that.

Believe it'd be easier to install a PuraSan or similar -- if that'd be useful/legal where you boat -- instead of installing a larger holding tank.

Can't off-hand remember rules for treated waste on inland rivers, though...

-Chris

Ours was a "Traveler" thing, only 9 gallons I thought. Something like that. Believe it'd be easier to install a PuraSan or similar -- if that'd be useful/legal where you boat -- instead of installing a larger holding tank.

Can't off-hand remember rules for treated waste on inland rivers, though...
-Chris

Treatment is legal on at least 90% of the interstate navigable waterway system (rivers)--including the "lakes" created by dams except for a few that have been designated "municipal reservoirs." Pumpouts--also fuel docks--are few and far between in some places, especially in the south where there are long stretches between towns.

So I second the recommendation to ADD a PuraSan Raritan PuraSan Promo Sheet instead of replacing the tank with larger one. He does to keep a tank in case he lands in a marina that's taken the well meaning, but misguided position that holding waste while in it is "doing the right thing" or decides to do the Loop. 12-13 gallons would be a good size to have just in case he ever has to use it for a day or two somewhere.

Btw...that SeaLand "Traveler'" needs so little flush water--it actually can use only a pint 'cuz it only needs enough to rinse the bowl--that its 9 gallon tank holds as many flushes as a 25-30 gallon tank fed by any manual or macerating toilet. It's a really NICE self contained system...a glorified portapotty really...that has a real china bowl (same as the VacuFlush) and uses onboard pressurized fresh water. I've always liked it.

Last edited:
I too, have a Sealand self contained 9+ gallon head. If all goes according to plan I will be replacing it with a 30 gallon tank under the companionway floor leading to the vee berth. Looking at either the Raritan Elegance or the Jabsco quiet flush, both electric and both fresh water. A friend installed this system in his 84 Mainship 34 which he is very happy with. I will be, more or less, duplicating his installation.

Why? The "Traveller" is an elegant maintenancc-free self-contained system that already gives you as much holding tank capacity as your proposed new system. So why would you want to trade it in for all the plumbing and tank maintenance required by your proposed new system? I'm willing to bet that your boat actually needs other things a LOT more.

So I second the recommendation to ADD a PuraSan Raritan PuraSan Promo Sheet instead of replacing the tank with larger one.

Yeah, it'd be like a Hold 'N' Treat system, using the original as the holding tank.

We're studying on this option ourselves, since we've discovered our "40 gallon" (so labeled) tank will actually only take 24 gallons, due to not being dimensioned for 40 gallons in the first place, and then due the fitting locations.

-Chris

I had a Traveler head on my Mainship 34 and found the holding tank to be adequate for our family of 4 simply because so little water actually went into the tank.

I now have a boat with two Purisan systems. After taking apart and rebuilding pumps and toilets, the simplicity of a foot flush to the holding tank doesn't sound so bad after all.

Back
Top Bottom