Fuel additives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liberty2015

Vessel Name
Liberty
Vessel Make
57 foot Halvorsen
Would like to know those out there that are using fuel additives in their tanks, and if you do what product do you us , and what are the improvements you are hoping for ,or experiencing ?

Chris D Liberty

I believe that most fuel additive are worthless. Maybe a biocide if you have water and algae in your tank. Otherwise.....

David

I'm with David. I think the conversation needs to be distinguished between boats that are used consistently and those with a lot of idle time and not much maintenance or tanks not kept full or both.

I usually use an additive, have been using the Racor brand concentrate, but they've stopped making it now. Haven't found a replacement yet.
Running the numbers it was costing something like 1.3 cents a gallon, really minuscule. Never really got and exact before/after on burn rate, but exhaust sooting cleared up a lot, cleaner hull. In quite a few years use never had a fuel fouled injector, on top end tear downs combustion chambers looked fine.

Last edited:
On the advice of acquaintances and friends in the marine diesel manufacturing industry we use two additives, both by Hammonds. One is a bug killer the other is a lubricity booster. We've used both for the 17 years we've owned our FL120-powered cruiser in the PNW.

Don't know if they help but they don't hurt and the reasons for using both of them, particularly the lubricity booster for the old jerk-injection FL120s, are sound in my opinion.

I use Castrol TT 2 stroke in my 4x4 300:1 which is common rail injection it make a massive difference :hide:

In anything else apart from common rail injection diesel (electric diesel ) I can see no benefit . Pump and injector diesels are very forgiving in what quality of fuel is used where as I know the difference between Shell and Caltex in the 4x4 . We are very lucky in Australia with marine fuel supply's/quality .

On a side note a friend runs 200 trucks and has a flue bill in the $Millions and doesn't use additives

Last edited:
I believe that most fuel additive are worthless. Maybe a biocide if you have water and algae in your tank. Otherwise.....

David

That would be plus 2 for Dave.

Biocide yes, when needed. For "Value Added" performance improvement = Snake Oil.

Algae doesn't form in fuel tanks. It needs light to grow and live. What can develop in diesel (and jet) fuel are bacteria and other microbiotic organisms. My understanding is that they live in the water and feed on the fuel. That's what biocides like Biobor JF are for.

Valvtec, the marina adds it whenever they get a tanker of fuel. About once every year I add Stanadyn performance additive, a little insurance against injection system problems is what I hope I'am getting.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Stanadyn

I just gave away a case of Stanadyn fuel additive. When the Duramax first came into California they were having problems with injectors sticking. GM recommended adding this to your tank. They claimed there wasn't enough lubricant in California diesel. After remapping the injection the problem went away so I ended up with this case of Stanadyn, it claims to also have a cetain booster, probably misspelled. With my Detroit's they could care less as long as it smells like oil and is slippery, it will burn it.

No additives at all for me. It comes with what's needed, other wise the competing companies would bombard us with advertising claims. I buy it and use it before its gets old.

I only run from day tanks which can only be filled by the polishing system. I keep the day tanks up to the top of the sight gauge, so not quite full, when not using the boat. I've yet to change the 2 um filter on the polisher, so new tanks and clean fuel fills have worked fine.

In the mid-1970's, I worked for a local tug company whose tugs burned more than 1 million gallons/month. During my shore side employment, we had two additive salesmen come through claiming all sorts of things. The short story is that the company tested these additives both in sister tugs, and then again on individual tugs with and without the additives. At the end of the day, we reverted to good old No. 2.

We go through a lot of fuel and keep tanks full. Still we do get a biocide automatically in that we generally purchase Valvtech fuel. Other times another somewhat comparable fuel with a biocide in it as well.

My other additive story has to do with the contamination of the fuel oil in WESTERLY upon purchase in 1997. After treating with Biobor, cleaning the skeletons out of the tanks and installing drain valves on the tank sumps with monthly draining, the fuel oil has been very clean since 1998. Of course part of this is getting good clean fuel, but most of the story is keeping water out of the tanks.

So, no additives since 1998. The stern stays clean, and we installed rebuilt injectors after 4000 hours.

Would like to know those out there that are using fuel additives in their tanks, and if you do what product do you us , and what are the improvements you are hoping for ,or experiencing ?

Chris D Liberty

Chris

A couple of worthwhile links on the subject....

Practical Sailor Diesel Additives - evaluates several and actually found some to be detrimental as they promote tank corrosion! (Prior to reading this I was with many posts here - snakeoil - at least re: any improvement - never thought they could be detrimental though!?

Another comprehensive look - I haven't read completely through this yet but thought is was relevant
Pratical Sailor Diesel Biocides Take On Contaminated Boat Fuel - July 2009 - PDF

Diesel Biocides Take On Contaminated Boat Fuel - online article

In a previous TF post on diesel fuel cafesport (post #18) did a good job of explaining diesel bugs

Personally I use Biobor periodically to prevent any "Bugs" and always prior to winter lay-up. Not as often when cruising and using fuel regularly.

Last edited:
Thanks Bacchus,

Good to do the research and consider all the info available. It would appear the majority seem to not favour additives for lots of different reasons.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Soltron - Inexpensive and it works... in diesel or gasoline.

7 yrs ago, when we purchased our Tolly; I cleaned up my "loaded with crap" gas fuel system by double dosing for a couple months with Soltron. Have not had a spec of sludge or water in filters since and have experienced no eco-to-dino fuel separation. Use it at recommended dose each fill-up and when visiting boat for any reason I drop ounce or so into tanks between fill-ups when extended periods of time ensue - like during winter months.

SOLTRON16 - SOLTRON - Enzyme Fuel Treatment 16 oz (500ml) Bottle for only $23.95 !

Soltron - The enzyme fuel treatment for diesel and petrol engines

Happy Fuel-Treatment Daze! - Art :speed boat:

PS: I purchase Soltron at NAPA Auto... simple and easy!

Last edited:
Thanks Bacchus,

Good to do the research and consider all the info available. It would appear the majority seem to not favour additives for lots of different reasons.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

My take on what I've read of comprehensive studies vs individual opinions is that additives are not really essential or beneficial "in a perfect world" - meaning good clean & dry fuel - but they can be beneficial if / when you get contamination mostly from water. Those w/ polishing systems probably have less of a risk - I don't so have decided to "play it safe" and use a recommended biocide as a preventative measure.

Chris D Liberty

The improvement expected is increased lubricity, which has been significantly reduced by removing most of the sulfur from ULSD fuel, as well as slightly increased cetane ratings. These are quantitative values that can be measured and compared between different additives. If all additives are snake oil, then they could only be so if higher cetane and increase lubricity had no value, or if they do have value no additive improves them. Is there any evidence that is true?

There is a good comparison done by an independent lab of the relative performance in increasing lubricity of various products here: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Marvel Mystery Oil, Valvtech, and a few others reduced lubricity, so I guess if you are looking for snake oil, they would be candidates.

There is a good comparison done by an independent lab of the relative performance in increasing lubricity of various products here: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Delfin
The linked article states:
"ULSD fuel, on the other hand, is considered to be very “dry” and incapable of lubricating vital fuel delivery components. As a result, these components are at risk of premature and even catastrophic failure when ULSD fuel is introduced to the system. As a result, all oil companies producing ULSD fuel must replace the lost lubricity with additives. All ULSD fuel purchased at retail fuel stations SHOULD be adequately treated with additives to replace this lost lubricity. The potential result of using inadequately treated fuel, as indicated above, can be catastrophic. There have been many documented cases of randomly tested samples of diesel fuel. These tests prove that often times the fuel we purchase is not adequately treated and may therefore contribute to accelerated wear of our fuel delivery systems. For this reason it may be prudent to use an after market diesel fuel additive to ENSURE adequate lubrication of the fuel delivery system."

The premise is that oil companies aren't adding the required additives and therefore the user should to "make sure"
I have searched for studies of "randomly tested samples of diesel fuel...not adequately treated " but haven't been able to find any - are you aware of any that substantiate this.

I also wonder if this is an ongoing non-compliance issue w/ refiners or if it was an issue during the transition to ULSD?

I'm curious if anyone has seen any of these "many" tests of ransom samples.

Delfin
The linked article states:
"ULSD fuel, on the other hand, is considered to be very “dry” and incapable of lubricating vital fuel delivery components. As a result, these components are at risk of premature and even catastrophic failure when ULSD fuel is introduced to the system. As a result, all oil companies producing ULSD fuel must replace the lost lubricity with additives. All ULSD fuel purchased at retail fuel stations SHOULD be adequately treated with additives to replace this lost lubricity. The potential result of using inadequately treated fuel, as indicated above, can be catastrophic. There have been many documented cases of randomly tested samples of diesel fuel. These tests prove that often times the fuel we purchase is not adequately treated and may therefore contribute to accelerated wear of our fuel delivery systems. For this reason it may be prudent to use an after market diesel fuel additive to ENSURE adequate lubrication of the fuel delivery system."

The premise is that oil companies aren't adding the required additives and therefore the user should to "make sure"
I have searched for studies of "randomly tested samples of diesel fuel...not adequately treated " but haven't been able to find any - are you aware of any that substantiate this.

I also wonder if this is an ongoing non-compliance issue w/ refiners or if it was an issue during the transition to ULSD?

I'm curious if anyone has seen any of these "many" tests of ransom samples.

We test when filling but not for lubricity. We have had fuel tested for lubricity, however and talked to some in the industry.

Here's what we've generally found. No quality issues with any major marine fuel suppliers in our area, whether marinas or fuel trucks. None in any major US marina. No problems with major marine suppliers. For instance, Petro provides fuel in most of the Alaska locations and their quality always checked out perfectly.

In all our fuel purchased in the last three years, we've only seen issues in fuel from the pump on diesel twice and on gas once (for tenders). In a small town on the East Coast we did once have diesel we checked test to have a high acid number. That would often be accompanied by low lubricity but we didn't have the ability to test for that on site. We discovered they were just being supplied from a home heating oil supplier and not a normal marine or road suppliers. We found a very small amount of water once in gas in a small volume marina in Washington. We found a small amount of water once in diesel in Central America.

I doubt that we would have experienced problems from the diesel in either case tested. The gas that failed I'm less sure of, although no one purchasing at that marina had expressed a problem. However, they were very low on fuel and upon checking felt their low fuel plus normal water in their tanks was probably responsible. They got filled that day and retested themselves with a strip we'd left them. They were fine then.

So, my conclusion, not scientific or guaranteed by any means is that in any marina doing any sort of volume, you're highly unlikely to have fuel issues. The only time you are at greater risk it seems would be winter or early spring in a northern climate marina that left their tanks low and has sold very little fuel during the off-season. That's when you do want to choose your marina carefully.

I have been told by others that many have gotten fuel with water in it in small marinas in the Eastern Caribbean and further south. The worst culprits have been those marinas where someone took a truck with cans to go get fuel. Even when we were in Central America we were on a heavily traveled route at high volume marinas.

As to lubricity I've been told there have been virtually no issues from any major fuel brand. This information comes from those in the trucking industry who use far more fuel than any of us and so check fuel at their terminals regularly plus occasionally send samples to Intertek to have lubricity tested.

There are strips available from multiple suppliers to test fuel as you're filling. It takes less than 5 minutes.

For those of you who store your boats over winter, I would recommend a water test kit to check as part of de-winterizing.

Since the testing done was to determine the degree to which different additives improved on a base line wear score of 600+, and some additives were shown to cut that value in half, I guess what you are suggesting is that 600+ doesn't need to be improved upon, and that any problem with low sulfur fuels is fixed at the refinery by reducing the wear score to that value. Here's something the SAE has to say on the subject:

"The interaction between natural polars and lubricity additive has been investigated and the findings may explain why some poor lubricity fuels are more responsive to lubricity additive than others. Difficulties are encountered when using knowledge of refinery streams to predict the lubricity of a diesel blend." Understanding Diesel Lubricity

So apparently SAE thinks there is some variability in the degree to which some fuels respond to additives which makes predicting lubricity a challenge, meaning that the refinery needs to do a wear test for each batch to know whether the absence of sulfur is corrected for adequately or not. Maybe they do that, maybe they don't, but either way, I fail to see how improving lubricity by 50% and cetane by 8% is of such low value that it isn't worth spending another $100 on a $3000 refueling to get that improvement.

But to each his own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom