Really Annoying Ads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
How do we stop those really annoying ads from playing on my computer when I am on TF?

They just start playing the sound automatically.

I'd even pay TF not to have them.

Ever since I bought my new laptop using MS' Edge browser, and using Microsoft's Defender feature (integral to Win 8 & 10) I have not been bothered by these ads. They still are there at the top of the page, but maybe Defender blocks the sound. It definitely blocks pop up ads.

David

My iPad was upgraded to IOS 9 and all of a sudden, reading TF via Safari was causing all kinds of issues. Had same problem with a few other sites. I ended up installing Crystal, an ad blocker, to resolve the issues. When the ads start ruining the experience and functionality, the ads got to go.

My iPad was upgraded to IOS 9 and all of a sudden, reading TF via Safari was causing all kinds of issues. Had same problem with a few other sites. I ended up installing Crystal, an ad blocker, to resolve the issues. When the ads start ruining the experience and functionality, the ads got to go.

I use the Trawler Forum App. No ads.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I use Adblock Plus and have zero ads.

"Adblock Plus is a free extension that allows you to - among other things - block annoying ads, disable tracking and block domains known to spread malware. Available for Android, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Maxthon, Opera, Safari and Yandex, Adblock Plus uses filters that you choose to block all unwanted elements."

https://adblockplus.org

NOTE: It's free but they keep their doors open with donations from its users.

Last edited:
I've used Firefox for years, with the Adblock Plus add-on...never see an ad in any site. Also have one called "cookie safe" that blocks sites from setting cookies. And a pop-up blocker--that you have to know how to use to allow only the pop-ups you need.

However, what everyone is saying is: every web BROWSER (not search engine)--Edge, IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc--has add-ons and plug-ins including ad blockers, popup blockers and others that you NEED to keep your computer safe. In Firefox, you'll find 'em by going to the "Tools" menu...all browsers have a similar menu. If you're rambling around the net without setting up the options all browsers offer, you're putting your personal info at risk...'cuz every ad you see is planting a cookie on your computer that's tracking you on the net. Do you even know how to get of them?

Which brings up another question: when was the last time you updated your anti-virus database? That should be set to automatically update DAILY. Do you even whether you still have active anti-virus software...I run into people all the time who say, "oh yes...it was installed on my computer when I bought it." That was two years ago, and what was installed was just a 60 day trial...they haven't had any protection since! Are you one of those???

Too many people--especially older folks-- aren't nearly computer savvy enough. You have to be today if you want to keep your personal information safe.

Last edited:
I use the Trawler Forum App. No ads.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Me too for the most part. Chrome browser on my laptop runs an ad blocker program.

If you find a particular ad to be really annoying or even offensive please get the url identifying the particular ad and forward that info to JanetH along with your complaint. It is possible to block particular ads, the forum has done it in the past, but a screenshot is not enough to identify the ad. The url is mandatory for Google AdSense to take any action.

I use Safari 9.0.1 (El Capitan). I have popup windows blocked and use the adblock plugin. I don't see any ads at all.

What adds?

Haven't seen or noticed any adds in the posts. Didn't like them but others I've hardly noticed. See a lot of Ben Carson up by the "User CP" ect but that probably was because I went to his website. Now they what money it seems.

I have no add complaints.

What's this about TF app? What's the advantage?

My iPad started allowing hijacking: I'd be reading an article and suddenly my page would close and I'd be sent to the App Store for some stupid game or social media app. I installed Weblock (I think it cost me a couple bucks), and it cleared it all up. No more popups, no more unwanted videos playing in the background.

Eric you will not see ads in posts if you are logged in to your account. Any of you interested in seeing what those are only need to log out of your TF account and view the forum.

The TF app is available at the Apple Store or Google Play. It is a method to access the forum on your handheld device without using your web browser. It has many but not all of the features you are used to as apps by their nature are limiting. I prefer the app for general forum reading and photo uploads.

Craig,
I don't even know if I have an account much less how to log into it. I'm like the person Peggie was talk'in about. Obviously I know how to post including pics and how to edit and modify pics but I know nothing about accounts or logging in or apps. I have Navamatics ... that's my only app.

There's probably others here like me that could benefit from knowing about this. I assume if I go to the App Store and search for TF I'd find it. Then I assume I'd need to purchase the app like I did for Navamatics. Tell me if I'm wrong and what's this about an account? I like Navamatics.

You will "purchase" the app but the price is free. You do have an account at TF and that's where your screen name "manyboats" comes from. If you or anyone has forgotten your password all you have to do is contact the Site Team to get them to reset it and issue you a temporary one.

So far, I've been immune. :) Can't say why, however.

Ad blockers

For some reason my iPad (iOS 9) wasn't happy trying to install Crystal for Safari, but with a little research I found AdBlock Plus, which in addition to being a quick download offers you some instructions on how to use the iPad Settings to install. It's another version of the program that's set up as an extension on my Firefox browser on Win10 desktop. I am always amazed that these developers can offer all these great tools at no charge.

I use Adblocker Plus specifically because of the annoying banner ads on this and a few other forums.

It's a free download.

I wonder if anyone actually BUYS products they've seen on an obnoxious, loud, flashing, video or pop-up advertisement? Surely if nobody did, they'd stop.

Until then, it just seems to be getting worse. My solution on the laptop is the Chrome browser with Adblock Plus, Flash Control and Ghostery.

BEWARE fakes and similar-sounding names! There are some malware programs that actually substitute their own, more obnoxious ads and pop-ups.

Flash control is a lifesaver for anyone who doesn't like pages that put up a talking head or play a flash video on loading.

Ghostery is a little different. It shows you - and optionally blocks - all the tracking sites that a site sends your header information to. It's absolutely astonishing how many otherwise reputable sites are tracking you 10, 15, 25 or more different ways!

I'm all for a free, ad-supported web. But I won't tolerate ads that take up too much bandwidth, take up too much page real estate, scream at me, or flash at me.

In the Android world, I've been using the new Adblock browser instead of the built-in Chrome browser. So far, except for the lack of ads, I've found no difference in functionality or performance. Look it up - it seems to be a project worth supporting.

The big browser vendors (Microsoft, Apple, Google) have a vested interest in steering you to THEIR advertising partners. They offer products to minimize some of the worst offenders, which is good, but they have no interest in blocking all ads or impacting the "experience" they and their partners are trying to push.

Cruisers don't always have fast, free, unlimited bandwidth. Web browsers and apps are not made for people like us. We need to find alternatives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom