How's this for paddleboarding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
We saw this guy go by in Oceanside Harbor.

Attachments

• Catalina 2015 022 (1280x960).jpg
    Catalina 2015 022 (1280x960).jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 229
While I respect his desire to be on the water and active, I'd hate to think what might happen if he was "waked".

He's got Cojones, good for him!

No PFDs?? (nor sound device and so on)? If not required, is this because paddleboards aren't boats? How do they fit within ColRegs? Something like surfboards and such, which I'm in the same quandary. Treat as swimmers? Sailboards have speeds several times faster and are much more maneuverable than the Coot. Hope they continue to stay away from me.

Paddle boards are very common here in Fort Lauderale in the canals and even ICW, I slow down for them. The board is attached to them therefor it's the flotation device.

Here in Texas they require paddle boards to have PFDs. I have no clue how they justify that when you don't need one for a surfboard.

First, that is just awesome to see! Looking at the board, it appears he may have some sort of outriggers attached to the far side to help with stability. I am surprised no PFD though.

As for boards and PFDs, you are required by USCG to have both a PFD and sound making device (read whistle). However, the PFD just needs to be with you, not necessarily worn (kind of like in a canoe). I bought one for my wife a couple years ago and just learned of the rule last month. She now carries both under all circumstances.

From the first linked article (second one is from the USCG blog): "The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) has determined that SUP boards operated outside a surfing, swimming or bathing area are “vessels” under USCG regulations. The following refers to what that means for you when you’re outside those areas."

U.S. Coast Guard Regulations for Stand Up Paddlers at NRS.com

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2012/05/top-10-tips-for-stand-up-paddleboarding/

...From the first linked article (second one is from the USCG blog): "The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) has determined that SUP boards operated outside a surfing, swimming or bathing area are “vessels” under USCG regulations. The following refers to what that means for you when you’re outside those areas."

U.S. Coast Guard Regulations for Stand Up Paddlers at NRS.com

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2012/05/top-10-tips-for-stand-up-paddleboarding/

Good lord, please save us from ourselves! :( How did most of us ever survive without the oversight?

While I wouldn't personally be on one without some sort of PFD, some of the stuff our government decides for us amazes me.

Anyway, I think what he's doing is awesome, and the designer of this deserves all the kudo's due him for what he's developed. From those born with disabilities to those injured in accidents and combat, there's a new outlet to enjoy life on the water!

Rock on!

Last edited:
Reactions: GFC
Here in Texas they require paddle boards to have PFDs. I have no clue how they justify that when you don't need one for a surfboard.

I never knew that. I see people a lot without them here (at clearlake), I dont remember ever seeing anyone with a pfd. Go figure.

Safety uber alles. No wonder it's been 45 years since we did anything awesome like the moon landing. Would Lucky Lindy have needed as much luck in 2015? Would he have had a dance named after him if he'd flown the Atlantic with triply-redundant systems, his seatbelt low and tight across his lap? I think not.

I say great!

Now... I also wonder why a wheelchair... You know he didn't wheel that chair on the board while it was floating next to the dock... He is too dry for that to be the case. Plus the chair appears to have all sorts of stuff between the wheels (like it is an electric wheelchair). Just doesn't make any sense.

Sure is great he is on the water though!

Better not to forget the wheelchair and merely sit on the board? Seems like a stunt using the chair. Why risk the chair and dealing with a higher center of gravity?

STUNT? I think the guy just wants to have a good time on the water, like we do. Maybe he is a wounded vet, or an accident survivor etc. Good for him for LIVING and not sitting in a chair feeling sorry for himself. I salute him.

Old people have no fun. :nonono::D

:hide:

STUNT? I think the guy just wants to have a good time on the water, like we do. Maybe he is a wounded vet, or an accident survivor etc. Good for him for LIVING and not sitting in a chair feeling sorry for himself. I salute him.

Absolutely!
Never know what placed a person in a given situation, but I would hope and pray, that if I still had any awareness left, that I'd be able to do something that interested me as well.:thumb:

I will admit that I first thought, why not lower the COG?
Then I thought, because then you have a kayak, not a SUP!

Risky, but WTH?
Go for it...live it up!:thumb::socool:

It was not a stunt. He was followed by two other guys paddle boarding in wheelchairs, but this guy was really moving along, that's why I took his photo. Oceanside CA has Camp Pendleton Marine Corp base as a neighbor, ergo, we have a high number of disabled vets in our area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom