ASC Watermaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
Anyone have one? Mine is from 1986, not used in 15+ years. ASC long out of business. No instructions on this unit which is electronic control. If I can't get it running, I may try to turn it into a manually operated device.

I'll try starting it today

Attachments

• H2O.jpg
    H2O.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 74
  • H2O Ctl.jpg
    H2O Ctl.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 80
Very interesting!~ Please send more pics and keep us updated~ Neat subject :popcorn:

Terry: That's an oldie for sure. Do you have any specs on the high pressure pump or even the motor size? How long is the pressure vessel? About 19"? If so, it would take a 14" membrane, ~$200. Your output would be about 6 gallons/hour. Any information you have will help.

Change all the filters, change the oil in the high pressure pump, do a fresh water flush on the unit first, then fire it up and see what happens. Use a simple hand held dissolved solids meter to check the quality of the water coming out of the unit.

More than likely you're going to have to replace the membranes.

The pressure vessel is 40", the pump is a Hotsy 300 which was an OEM from Japan and they quit importing them in the late 80's, no spares available. The low pressure pump was rusted but I had a used spare. Ran it with low pressure and tried to fix the leaks. The high pressure hose leaked its entire length. The outer rubber coating had all rotted off. I turned on the high pressure pressure pump for a few seconds, it ran but with the condition of the hose I didn't want to apply any pressure to it. The high pressure pump is driven by a 110v motor. Not sure what my next step will be.

A whole membrane with housing could be remote mounted and just need to adapt plumbing. Whether it is worth it, probably not. Esp if pump is not supported.

Nothing like being out on a cruise and spending all your free time babysitting the watermaker. Un fun.

Hard enough to make these things reliable even with good mfr support.

The pressure vessel is 40", the pump is a Hotsy 300 which was an OEM from Japan and they quit importing them in the late 80's, no spares available. The low pressure pump was rusted but I had a used spare. Ran it with low pressure and tried to fix the leaks. The high pressure hose leaked its entire length. The outer rubber coating had all rotted off. I turned on the high pressure pressure pump for a few seconds, it ran but with the condition of the hose I didn't want to apply any pressure to it. The high pressure pump is driven by a 110v motor. Not sure what my next step will be.

If you want to try it, i'd remove and replace the high pressure hose and retest. The water won't be potable but you should be able to determine if everything is pretty much working. If it is, I'd replace all the hoses, pre-filters and a membrane (less than $250 on line). You may need to rebuild the pump head. Parts are still available. This would include the oil and pump seals, piston kit, plus a valve kit. There are some articles online about building water makers if you want to make it a modular, no-frills unit if the electronics are inoperable.

My only caution would be once you start you can put $1,000 plus into it or buy a brand new one for less than $5,000.

The Hotsy 300 pumkp has been out oif production for at least 20 years. Spare parts at that time were: check valves (6) $80 each, everything just as expensive. Hotsy has nothing in stock.

I'd ditch it and not waste time or money.

The Hotsy 300 pumkp has been out oif production for at least 20 years. Spare parts at that time were: check valves (6) $80 each, everything just as expensive. Hotsy has nothing in stock.

:eek: My bad. Heck you can buy a new pump for the price of the parts and maybe have money in your pocket.

Ksanders just replaced his water maker with a Cruise RO. A pretty good bang for the buck. Maybe he'll pipe in.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.

Current membranes are 40" so you might be in luck. Check the diameter though.
Membranes are about $200 but are your pressure vessels compatible with current membranes???

High pressure hoses are not all that expensive. You'll need to determine the fitting type which may be a challenge if it's obsolete.

The boost pump is just a 40PSI unit. Pick your poison

If your High pressure pump is inop that might be expensive. I think Cruise RO sells the general pump for about $1200 but would it bolt to your motor???

You can add up parts fairly quickly and still not have a functioning watermaker. The way I always look at a system is if I'm going to spend 1/2 of new to fix it, I just buy a new one.

Cruise RO sells a complete 20GPH kit for $4200

I sold my perfectly good Katadyne 7 GPH unit for less than 1/2 of that to a very nice TF member. I think that is a fair used price, for a working watermaker, so be careful with your $$

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom