Chafe guards.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No.

While I cant recall the source, (maybe US Boat?) there was a study a while back that looked at mooring and dock line failures during a large storm a few years back. In many cases they found failure of the rope inside chafe guards. Apparently the rope worked enough to build up heat inside the chafe guard and that hastened its failure. I'll see if I can dig up that reference.

Not that I face those types of storms here....

To be clear, that is not why I don't use chafe guards. I just haven't see the need on my boat to the design.

Dave

Last edited:
Yes we do, the mesh or nylon ones that absorb water. Primarily used on the snubber lines but I also had my spring lines made up with mesh chafe guard on the eyes. (We like to get large eyes and loop them over the dock cleats, making any adjustments on the boat).
I was very thankful for the guards on the snubber lines after weathering a storm at anchor. They were torn up but the lines survived.

Mt dock was exposed from the north. In FL sun and heavy winds and waves at times.

Chafe guards were critical. Cheap washing machine hose worked great. The hose would wear out but the line would look new. I have heard of heating but never experienced any examples and my lines got some serious workouts.

I don't know how people managed before TF.
I've read so much lately about all the stuff you "need" I've decided this is the setup I require to head north...

Attachments

• Tug+boat+BRENDA+H+barge+in+tow+Wrangell+Southeast+Alaska.jpg
    Tug+boat+BRENDA+H+barge+in+tow+Wrangell+Southeast+Alaska.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 68
I don't know how people managed before TF

They managed just fine before the internet, which things like chafe protection and snubbers precede by a century or more. One could argue they generally managed better, relying more on first hand information derived by direct experience.

I use chafe guards on our two crossed stern lines. The nature of the cleat position on the docks -- and the way the lines run downward toward the boat from there -- dictates. All the other lines from pile to boat cleat don't normally need chafe protection.

We don't usually have to do much at destination marinas; depends on the dock/pile/cleat/etc. situation.

All that goes out the window when heavy weather (Sandy, for example) threatens. The whole tie-up gets re-done differently then, usually at a different marina (assuming I haven't had the boat hauled for the event).

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom