Replacement for our 3-knob thermostat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
We have the old 3-knobber on our reverse cycle A/C that can't hold a temerature for squat and doesn't ever turn off the fan when the compressor does kick off. Are there any direct replacements for this setup that would give us some more modern features?

Tom-

What is the volts and amps running thorugh the thermostat?

Also what do the three knobs due?

Top Knob: Off/Fan/Air
Middle Knob: Fan Speed
Bottom Knob: Temp... sort of anyway

Sorry, but it doesn't have a voltage/ammeter as a feature
biggrin.gif

There are several brands like the Coastal unit. They range from 275-400+. When I read your post I was trying to find the one I located at the Annapolis show that was $275 when I came across this Mermaid unit for $149! The only difference is it doesn't appear to have a dehumidifier mode that some do but on the other hand since the head unit appears to be a home type unit it does have programmable temp/time settings and it's cheap. I'm ordering one tomorrow, I can't stand my rotary knobs.

http://www.firstmatescabin.com/page10.htm
Scroll down toward the bottom and you'll see the unit with the conversion black box

You can change the jumpers so the fan cuts off with the compressor but you lose the ability to put it in fan mode.

Click-on-picture-to-keep-it-the-same-size...

(I hate that crap!)
biggrin.gif

The reason I asked is if the amps are small then a regular electronic dirt thermostat low amp might work.*

Gee, for that price*you might wnat to rewirer to be simpler so a cheaper thermostat can be used.* I rewired our Webasto so all the fan work off one thermostat, fan turns on once water reached 100 degrees,**and the fans on max all the time.* I figure its cheaper to get the max out of the hot water in the shortest period of time.* We had two thermostats, and the hot water which call for the boiler to fire constantly.* One thermostat, which also heats the hot water which dropped the fuel burned*by*a 1/3 to*1/2.* So you might want to also look at rewiring which might save you some energy/money. *****

Back
Top Bottom